Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
giphy.gif
tenor.gif

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
So I just bought tickets to Games 1 and 2 in Charlotte -- wife is away, so imma drive down to Charlotte, get a room for Saturday night, and enjoy the Last Hockey Weekend of the summer.

Any advice on where I should stay / what I should do?

Olde Mecklenburg Brewery-great beer, decent food and nice place to hang out.

Epicenter-uptown (not downtown) has some ok restaurants/theater

Charlotte Knights-not sure if there’s a game this weekend. BB&T stadium is quite impressive

Lots of other breweries to check out if that’s your thing (Sweet Union, Wooden Robot, Sugar Creek, etc.)

Perhaps look for a place stay around Pineville or South Blvd in south Clt. Bonangles Coliseum isn’t that far away and you’d have access to the light rail to go uptown. That’d probably be cheaper than a room uptown.

A hotel in Matthews probably also would be cheaper and downtown Matthews has some good places to eat and of course a brewery of its own (Sea Board) worth checking out. Also, decent access to 74 to get to Bojos on game day.

My dumbass waited too long for tickets. I was ready to buy a pair yesterday but didn’t yet have the confirmation from a buddy that they were free to go. Just looked for tix now and looks like there are no more reasonable options. Ah well, AHLTV in the iPad it is.

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
My dumbass waited too long for tickets. I was ready to buy a pair yesterday but didn’t yet have the confirmation from a buddy that they were free to go. Just looked for tix now and looks like there are no more reasonable options. Ah well, AHLTV in the iPad it is.

Thinking of getting AHLTV for the finals... is it the same quality as the highlights that the Checkers post to Twitter?

Reactions: Unsustainable

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Thinking of getting AHLTV for the finals... is it the same quality as the highlights that the Checkers post to Twitter?

Regular season, quality is spotty, but I’d say the quality you see on Twitter is what you get on AHL TV, internet connection permitting. I got a pretty good feed on my iPhone on the way home from gm 6 in the last series because the 2 yr old was done after the 2nd period at Bojos.

To add-I wasn’t hesitant to drop the $$$ on AHL TV during the regular season, but halfway through the price dropped to just over $40 and I took the plunge around January I think. It was well worth it. I’m considering ponying up for a whole season next year, depending on which prospects graduate. I guess I’m a bandwagon minor league fan.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
There is a hotel that technically is within walking distance from the Coliseum. Golden Green. I don't know anything about it but I pass by it often. I think it used to be one of the nicer places in the city when that part of town was the yuppie part of town and Uptown was a dive.

Problem is there is no restaurants or bars within walking distance.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
There is a hotel that technically is within walking distance from the Coliseum. Golden Green. I don't know anything about it but I pass by it often. I think it used to be one of the nicer places in the city when that part of town was the yuppie part of town and Uptown was a dive.

Problem is there is no restaurants or bars within walking distance.

Yeah, the Coliseum is not in what I’d consider the best part of town..., but I have always been intrigued by the Gus Sir Beef restaurant off of Wendover. With a name like Gus Sir Beef, how can it be bad? (Actually not sure if they’re still open....I don’t pass by there very often anymore. I tend to stay in my little world around Southeast Clt/Matthews/Indian Trail/Waxhaw)

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
They're still open according to Google Maps.

I ate there once, like 6 years ago or so. It was okay. The cornbread was awesome. It's a southern country cooking mom and pop like place. Kind of like Lizards Thicket in Columbia if anyone here is familiar with that, @garnetpalmetto ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad