Checkers V: Macgregor Kilpatrick Trophy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Most of the forwards last year had a jump, some of them a big jump, in their production from the prior season. Also, the new guys, Necas and Geekie, were very productive.

The checkers are going to need big jumps from Gauthier, Geekie, Kuokkanen and Bean (if he’s not in the nhl) and strong contributions from new guys like Mattheos, Luostarinen, and Prichard. Even then, it’s hard to think to they will be anywhere close to last years team.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
coming into last season the checkers lost four of their top five scorers (wallmark, zykov, miller, foegele), plus samuelsson, kichton, tolchinsky, and chelios and turned out fine. huge ahl turnover is normal. the roster looks fine.

True. But “looks fine” and “among the best” are two different things. I agree that they should be fine, but not sure that they will be among the best. Of course every team is going through this right now so nobody really knows.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
coming into last season the checkers lost four of their top five scorers (wallmark, zykov, miller, foegele), plus samuelsson, kichton, tolchinsky, and chelios and turned out fine. huge ahl turnover is normal. the roster looks fine.

To be clear I agree with you. I think it’s fine. I just don’t know how you look at the forward group and confidently say “one of the best in the AHL” either. Looks like a pretty standard group.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Since there is criticism of my minor hyperbole "among the best," I will defend the reasoning.
Kuokkanen was an all-star. Geekie was one of the top playoff producers. Luostarinen made the WC. Gauthier is looking like he is reaching his 1st-round potential. Mattheos is coming off two 40 goal seasons in juniors. Pritchard tied for 5th in the NCAA in points.
I agree that last season the Checkers' had the best top 9. It doesn't seem to be a big stretch to think those players, plus (I realize he may not end up in Charlotte) a player who has scored 20 goals in the NHL the past two seasons, will be third or fourth best in the league.
Y'all have really gotten spoiled!

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
A lot of what happens in Charlotte this upcoming season will depend on guys like Luostarinen and Geekie continuing their progression. It will also depend on Janne Kuokkanen's continued development. I believe all of these things are more likely than not.

My bigger fear is on the back end where we seen to only have 1 RHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->