Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
@Gee Wally posted that a GM confirmed that the asking price in a lot of deals Sweeney was in on was Vaakaneinen and/or Studnika or bith.

So Minnesota asking for Donato isn’t a reach at all

I remember at one point when Zboril and Senysyhyn were two of the most requested prospects from the Bruins. I wonder what deals were discussed asking for Vaak and Studnicka.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
This is the absolute best way to put it and should end the entire "debate".

We haven't had a 3C all year, 2nd in the NHL and Donato was playing in Pro. so he was doing nothing anyway. Chances are he wasn't bumping either Marchand or DeBrusk out of the 1-2 LW spots and he couldn't do a thing in our top 9. Doesn't matter who he will be next year, this is a better team today and still has boat loads of potential in Pro. that could make an impact next season. Hell, even Pro. is playing better since he left!!

I like(d) Donato and want to see him do well, but his play since the trade screams Ryan Spooner 2.0. Time will tell but I'm happy with Coyle and can't wait to see this team at 100%

I understand he wasn't a top two LW ever on this team, but why does line 3 always need to be "the Bruins way" and not generally what the rest of the league employs? 2011 our 3rd line was Ryder-Kelly-Pevs which could have been a 2nd line in a pinch. You need to build 3rd lines with skill these days.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
My hope is we end up with a Rich Peverley (without the heart condition). Someone that came in and filled a needed role on a cup winning team. A situation where both teams walked away from the trade very happy.

Pevs and Kelly both struggled regular season here coming over in 2011 but really turned it on in the playoffs.

Reactions: Alicat

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
I understand he wasn't a top two LW ever on this team, but why does line 3 always need to be "the Bruins way" and not generally what the rest of the league employs? 2011 our 3rd line was Ryder-Kelly-Pevs which could have been a 2nd line in a pinch. You need to build 3rd lines with skill these days.

He couldn't get it done on the third line either. But, that line was a dumpster fire and didn't have any center or wingers, basically just a filler line.

I like Coyle because he locks that 3C spot and allows us to build from there instead of plugging in pieces until something fits.

Reactions: BMC

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I'm ok with someone liking a player. By all means by a Coyle #13 jersey if you want. I don't have to like the player (which I don't). I'm not sure why I have to be labeled a "troll" or "hate reality" for not agreeing with the masses.

You're only allowed to have an opinion on here if that opinion is in line with the old boys network of posters. For instance God forbid you label a former 1st round pick a bust even if it's hilariously obvious.

However, I believe Coyle is pretty decent.

Reactions: Don Cherry

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He couldn't get it done on the third line either. But, that line was a dumpster fire and didn't have any center or wingers, basically just a filler line.

I like Coyle because he locks that 3C spot and allows us to build from there instead of plugging in pieces until something fits.

yeah I don't have an issue with the trade, just maybe the thought process behind it. Seems with the Bruins, you can't play third line if your offense is better than your defense. Coyle will make the 3rd line better this year and that's what we needed. Donato wasn't going to help them this year, so I get it.

Reactions: Skelen

False Start

May 8, 2018
Coyle would've scored a goal last game if it wasn't for old buddy McQuaid taking up the entire shooting lane with his big body and face.

Seriously, he dove in front of it and Coyle shot it past him but wide.

He looked like he was starting to create some chemistry with Krejci and Debrusk. Thank god Carey was taken off that line.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I remember at one point when Zboril and Senysyhyn were two of the most requested prospects from the Bruins. I wonder what deals were discussed asking for Vaak and Studnicka.

No way we find out now that's for sure!

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He reminds me of a bigger Peverley. Production can get sporadic but he can play either center or wing and play up and down the lineup. Very useful players.

Both can’t hit the net either apparently lol

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Some thoughts on this trade and trades in general.

1. When the deal was made LW was a position of strength for the B's. Moving a non-roster guy for a legit NHL'er that can play C/RW was a good move.
2. I'd like to see Coyle produce more too, but, like with Donato when he was here, due to injuries the lineup isn't set up the way they want it yet. Once they are healthy, I think he'll settle in.
3. The playoffs are a different animal. Coyle, given his size, skating and defensive ability will be welcomed and appreciated.
4. A big part of hockey/sports is luck/circumstance. I wouldn't be surprised if Coyle has a 4-5 goal series in the playoffs at all. I get that he's not a 30 goal guy, but he's around the net and hopefully when healthy, he'll be paired with better players and can start producing.
5. I'm still not sold on Donato. He can shoot, no doubt, but his skating and defensive play is average to below average. He's not big or physical either, and while non-physical guys can succeed, they typically are above average in a few other areas, primarily skating. Donato is above average in one area -- his shot.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Some thoughts on this trade and trades in general.

1. When the deal was made LW was a position of strength for the B's. Moving a non-roster guy for a legit NHL'er that can play C/RW was a good move.
2. I'd like to see Coyle produce more too, but, like with Donato when he was here, due to injuries the lineup isn't set up the way they want it yet. Once they are healthy, I think he'll settle in.
3. The playoffs are a different animal. Coyle, given his size, skating and defensive ability will be welcomed and appreciated.
4. A big part of hockey/sports is luck/circumstance. I wouldn't be surprised if Coyle has a 4-5 goal series in the playoffs at all. I get that he's not a 30 goal guy, but he's around the net and hopefully when healthy, he'll be paired with better players and can start producing.
5. I'm still not sold on Donato. He can shoot, no doubt, but his skating and defensive play is average to below average. He's not big or physical either, and while non-physical guys can succeed, they typically are above average in a few other areas, primarily skating. Donato is above average in one area -- his shot.

Coyle has 15 points in 44 playoff games and had 0 points in 5 games last year. I hope he has a big playoff but not expecting a dominating player. If he can hit a big goal in OT or other situations that would be ideal

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

And fourth lines, frankly.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Coyle has 15 points in 44 playoff games and had 0 points in 5 games last year. I hope he has a big playoff but not expecting a dominating player. If he can hit a big goal in OT or other situations that would be ideal

I get it. I'm not expecting him to be a point a game guy throughout the playoffs. It's just that I always feel that every game/series in an independent event and his game is suited to the playoffs because he's defensively aware, a good skater and has good size.

There are so many examples of things being different between the regular season and playoffs that it wouldn't surprise me if he produced well.

Reactions: BMC and Dr Hook

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
They sure did, had this place in tatters with the anger

bruins rarely have luck with late additions because the system is pretty demanding apparently. The numbers generally don't add up to what the player was before he got here, but the playoffs afford more time for these guys. Hopefully they get a few games to gel and then it's off to the races.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
bruins rarely have luck with late additions because the system is pretty demanding apparently. The numbers generally don't add up to what the player was before he got here, but the playoffs afford more time for these guys. Hopefully they get a few games to gel and then it's off to the races.

exactly Lou. Doesn`t help either that both joined the team at a time when Pasta was hurt, then Jake a few games into both of their debuts. I`ve liked Coyle`s game, kind of what I expected. I know it`s tiresome to read/type/hear again and again but it just can`t be ignored that playing alongside a Nordy and/or Backes just isn`t going to help the offensive side of things.

Fingers crossed the B`s get healthy and it gives them time to see which player is best suited with which and build a little chemistry prior to the playoffs.

Fans here, I seem to recall were terrified, frustrated and angry at PC as this team headed into the playoffs with Pevs/Kelly as it was obvious they too were requiring some time to understand the nuances of the system CJ had in place but man did it click come playoff time. Hoping it does for Coyle, Mojo and company

Reactions: BMC

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
exactly Lou. Doesn`t help either that both joined the team at a time when Pasta was hurt, then Jake a few games into both of their debuts. I`ve liked Coyle`s game, kind of what I expected. I know it`s tiresome to read/type/hear again and again but it just can`t be ignored that playing alongside a Nordy and/or Backes just isn`t going to help the offensive side of things.

Fingers crossed the B`s get healthy and it gives them time to see which player is best suited with which and build a little chemistry prior to the playoffs.

Fans here, I seem to recall were terrified, frustrated and angry at PC as this team headed into the playoffs with Pevs/Kelly as it was obvious they too were requiring some time to understand the nuances of the system CJ had in place but man did it click come playoff time. Hoping it does for Coyle, Mojo and company
It still unfortunately needs to be said though cause there are people here who still constantly ignore the negative effect those two have on a lines production :laugh:

Reactions: Chief Nine

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Kelly was 24 games 2-3-5
Peverley was 24 4-3-7

People were not thrilled. They added to Ryder, who people could not wait to get rid of after that season,

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Kelly was 24 games 2-3-5
Peverley was 24 4-3-7

People were not thrilled. They added to Ryder, who people could not wait to get rid of after that season,
exactly, the 3rd line at that time, some will recall, was very similar to the B`s 3rd line this year, kind of a hot mess and while PC didn`t go out and grab the biggest fish on the market, he brought in two vets, both responsible in all zones and it just stabilized the 3rd line.

Injuries have kept that from happening since the deadline and prior to that, nothing was working there so let`s hope that changes soon with the good news surrounding some of the walking wounded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad