Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I wouldn’t mind: 22-13-43, but I thought in the few times we saw Heinen and Wagner together last week, they looked good together. Wagner is pretty quick and he loves to drive the net. That gives Heinen room to operate and find the trailer on the play (ala Krejci).

My only concern with the 3rd line with Heinen and Coyle together is that they are both pass first guys and would probably be at their best with a shooter in that 3rd spot on the line.

Not sure who would be that guy?
Ideally? I’d leave Heinen on line one.

DeBrusk to Coyle.

Johansson to Krejci’s left.

But that’s a pipe dream. Cassidy and I can’t agree on a lineup.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

DeBrusk to Coyle.

So:

63-37-43
90-46-88
74-13-??

I suggested this a couple of weeks ago as well and feel like Coyle would be a good set up guy for DeBrusk, who would eat up a lot of 3rd lines.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
You're only allowed to have an opinion on here if that opinion is in line with the old boys network of posters. For instance God forbid you label a former 1st round pick a bust even if it's hilariously obvious.

HA! Well said and right dead on. There are some who seem to read each others posts just to agree with them no matter if that's how they really feel or not. Sheep.

I hope Coyle becomes a decent player. :nod:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
So:

63-37-43
90-46-88
74-13-??

I suggested this a couple of weeks ago as well and feel like Coyle would be a good set up guy for DeBrusk, who would eat up a lot of 3rd lines.
Precise. I think we’d see eye-to-eye on this.

Cehlarik would be my preference for the “??” but in this setup I wouldn’t entirely be opposed to Nordstrom there either. He’s at least got wheels and can interrupt opposing teams’ transition games which helps possession.

I imagine DeBrusk and Coyle would play really well off of each other’s strengths. Coyle is a possession beast, but can’t seem to figure out how to get the puck to his fourth line linemates. DeBrusk gives him that shooter who makes plays.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
So:

63-37-43
90-46-88
74-13-??

So:

63-37-43
90-46-88
74-13-??

Taking Debrusk away from Krejci, makes no sense. They've created a good amount of Chemistry throughout the year, I mean why fix what isn't broken? keep MoJo on their right and put Pasta back with Bergy and Marchand. That top unit tore up the leafs last playoffs and were considered by many asthe best line in hockey, this season, no sense of breaking them apart.

Drop Heinen down with Coyle and Wagner and the bruins will have three lines that can role with anyone

That leaves the 4th line with Kuraly Acciari Norstrom/Backes

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Taking Debrusk away from Krejci, makes no sense. They've created a good amount of Chemistry throughout the year, I mean why fix what isn't broken? keep MoJo on their right and put Pasta back with Bergy and Marchand. That top unit tore up the leafs last playoffs and were considered by many asthe best line in hockey, this season, no sense of breaking them apart.

Drop Heinen down with Coyle and Wagner and the bruins will have three lines that can role with anyone

I'm totally on board with this.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Marchand Pasta and Debrusk are going to have to have huge playoffs for the Bruins to go far. Right now its bt Heinen or Johansson for the 3rd line and I'd probably put Johansson on the 3rd line if Heinen is on line 1 with Krejci playing with Debrusk Pasta. If Bergeron is playing with Pasta and Marchand I'd put Heinen on line 3 with Johansson playing RW with Krejci

putting Debrusk with Coyle would hurt his production ceiling so not in favor of that.

member 96824

I’m struggling with the “linemate” defense that people are using only because he was brought in to lift his line, not to be a passenger or victim to them. “Well he played with Backes” won’t help anyone if he goes 0-1-1 in 7 games and the B’s exit.

I do agree he’s passing the eye test and hope he can turn that into points come playoff time.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Give him some decent players and let them get chemistry. Remember he is a 3rd line center. If that line breaks even or puts up a few plus pts we are better for it. He is not an elite scoring Center, let him be what he is, a younger, bigger Riley Nash and not a young kid learning the ropes.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I like that 3rd line.

Marchand - Bergy - Pasta
Debrusk - Krejci - Johansson
Heinen - Coyle - Wagner
Kuraly - Acciari - Backes/Nordstrom

Getting closer to this forward line-up now (Monday practice):

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Coyle
Heinen - Kuraly - Wagner
Nordstrom - Acciari - Backes
Carey

Reactions: sarge88

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I’m struggling with the “linemate” defense that people are using only because he was brought in to lift his line, not to be a passenger or victim to them. “Well he played with Backes” won’t help anyone if he goes 0-1-1 in 7 games and the B’s exit.

I do agree he’s passing the eye test and hope he can turn that into points come playoff time.

Yeah I think it went from “he’s a playmaker he will make his linemates better” to “he’s not scoring but look at those possession numbers” to “well you see who he’s playing with?”.... I’m guessing his value lies somewhere between one and two.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

To be honest, I don’t think the chemistry has been that great between DeBrusk and Krejci. I think the B’s decided on that arranged marriage before last season’s TC. It wouldn’t have surprised me in the slightest if DeBrusk would have developed even better if he had played with 63 and 37 and DK got Pasta instead.

That’s why I wouldn’t mind moving him to the 3rd line to facilitate three scoring lines.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

You might have a point...except that every player that gets put with Backes and/or Nordstrom seems to struggle.

I think McJesus would have a hard time “lifting” that line, never mind Coyle.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah I think it went from “he’s a playmaker he will make his linemates better” to “he’s not scoring but look at those possession numbers” to “well you see who he’s playing with?”.... I’m guessing his value lies somewhere between one and two.
Yeah, exactly. I'm getting sick of all the excuses for him. It's time for him to do something/anything.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
To be honest, I don’t think the chemistry has been that great between DeBrusk and Krejci. I think the B’s decided on that arranged marriage before last season’s TC. It wouldn’t have surprised me in the slightest if DeBrusk would have developed even better if he had played with 63 and 37 and DK got Pasta instead.

That’s why I wouldn’t mind moving him to the 3rd line to facilitate three scoring lines.

I think its been getting better and better with each passing game. Ill admit it took a well but their looking pretty good together right now. Debrusk and Coyle on the other hand seemed out of sink but that's to be expected as they've only just began to play together.

I don't look at Coyle as a playmaking center, he is a big strong player who's puck retrieval skills and has the ability to control the puck on the perimeters, beside being a very good defensive forward. Krejci on the other-hand is a playmaker and Jake can put the puck in the net and if they chose to play him with Coyle over Krejci it would be diminish his talents some what as it would most certainly decrease his opportunities and come playoff time your going to want to be able to create as many chances as possible..

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

DeBrusk to Coyle.

Why would you separate debrusk from krejci. Before debrusks injury him and krejci were tearing it up for the previous 20 games.

For the playoffs I would like to see this:

Marchand-bergy-heinen
Debrusk-krejci-Pasta
Johansson-coyle- cehlarik
Wagner-kuraly-acciari

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Why would you separate debrusk from krejci. Before debrusks injury him and krejci were tearing it up for the previous 20 games.

For the playoffs I would like to see this:

Marchand-bergy-heinen
Debrusk-krejci-Pasta
Johansson-coyle- cehlarik
Wagner-kuraly-acciari

I like those lines that second line could/would be potent

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

The real takeaway is that Backes and Nordstrom have been miscast in roles they lack the appropriate skill sets to be effective at. It's not Coyle's fault Sweeney f***ed up and grossly overpaid for the empty shell of David Backes. He can't make Backes a useful player at this point because that ship has clearly sailed and literally nobody could do that. He belongs upstairs watching at this point, and that's not on Coyle.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I wasn't expecting the world from Coyle. Just want him centering the 3rd line to make it less of the liability it was earlier in the season. They don't need for him to be amazing or for that to be a home run. All they need is for him to slot in there and help the 3rd line tread water, not get hemmed in too much, and do their job. Once Pasta and Mojo are back he'll be on the third and get one of those two or Heinen on his line and they'll be able to keep the ice from being tilted and honestly that's good enough.

member 96824

You might have a point...except that every player that gets put with Backes and/or Nordstrom seems to struggle.

I think McJesus would have a hard time “lifting” that line, never mind Coyle.

Fair but he’s also getting PP time. Point being, the whole reason we brought him in was to make the third line more productive. For one reason or another, that’s not happening today and he’s scoring at a PPG clip lower than David Backes so far.

The good news is that he’s a 40-45 point guy, those guys are naturally streaky, and hopefully he comes out of this guns blazing when the time really matters. Like I said, the eye test is there and there’s no doubt he’s a good hockey player..just needs to put that last piece of the puzzle together and produce points in the playoffs.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think its been getting better and better with each passing game. Ill admit it took a well but their looking pretty good together right now. Debrusk and Coyle on the other hand seemed out of sink but that's to be expected as they've only just began to play together.

I don't look at Coyle as a playmaking center, he is a big strong player who's puck retrieval skills and has the ability to control the puck on the perimeters, beside being a very good defensive forward. Krejci on the other-hand is a playmaker and Jake can put the puck in the net and if they chose to play him with Coyle over Krejci it would be diminish his talents some what as it would most certainly decrease his opportunities and come playoff time your going to want to be able to create as many chances as possible..

We will have to disagree on this.

I think DeBrusk is the kind of player that scores off the rush and coming out of the corners. When he’s going well, he creates a lot of his own offense and imo doesn’t necessarily require a playmaker like DK.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad