Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
To
How many Wild games have you watched since the deadline?
to be honest only 2 and not complete game, donato is not very visible but he score and get points, he remind me a lot of Ryder.
But i watched many bruins games and yes Coyle don't play bad, he is ok, but he don't hit, don't have a great view, lose battle ...he is absolutly nothing special, a guy you find all around the world...i prefer by much the johansson trade. Coyle is not a bad player, he is a normal ordinary 3rd liner. May be i am biased because of the trade, if we gave choices for him i would see him in a different way. In 5 years nobody will remember coyle...

aguineapig

Don Cherry holy cow! The same Don Cherry that ran Matti Hagman over & out of town? Thought sure you'd pick Charlie over Teddy's boy. They asked Derek once what would happen if Teddy got in a fight and his reply was "Well he better not forget to bring his purse to swing"!

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Coyle needs to be judged in the context of a healthy roster. It doesn't help that Bruce has a hard time appreciating the upside of line chemistry and changes up his lines as much as any NHL coach I've ever seen. Good or bad, that philosophy makes it even more tough for a new guy to get comfortable. Throw in the fact that most games here Coyle hasn't exactly been playing with offensive dynamos. Makes no sense to make any judgement at this point. I was not a big Coyle fan at the time of the trade, but thought it was a necessary trade. I still feel that way, and I like what Coyle is bringing to the team aside from the obvious lack of points, but those will come once he is consistently on a line with some offensive threat. Bottom line for me when it comes to Coyle -- does he put the Bs in a better position to be a legit playoff threat over the next couple years, or does he make little to no difference. If I had to guess at the moment based on what I've seen, my guess is he does.

Reactions: BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He’s played a good amount of time with quite literally two of the worst 5 on 5 producers in the league. A pass first center isn’t going to produce with that. It is what it is. He’ll produce more when put with Heinen or Mojo (I assume they aren’t doing Pasta there even though that’s what I want to see)

Reactions: LSCII and Skelen

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I haven't seen Coyle play a full game on Krejci's wing, but to those "disappointed" and complaining about points ... do you realize that Coyle has played a HUGE chunk of those games with Nordstrom, Cehlarik and Backes?!!

Reactions: Skelen

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Donato has 11 points and is +6 in 12 games for the Wild. Coyle has been a huge disappointment.

I didn't like Donato at all, but it looks like Sweeney got beaten down again. :mad:

Tell me, what did Donato do in Boston in 30 games? 40?

Hockey isn't just about points. Coyle hasn't had the linemates that Donato was given in Boston. He's a possession player, not a goal scorer. When everyone comes back you'll start seeing that line produce.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Don Cherry holy cow! The same Don Cherry that ran Matti Hagman over & out of town? Thought sure you'd pick Charlie over Teddy's boy. They asked Derek once what would happen if Teddy got in a fight and his reply was "Well he better not forget to bring his purse to swing"!
Who is Matti Hagman? Charlie is simply not good. I don't know what else to say. :huh:

aguineapig

Matti Hagman was early B's Euro drafted in 75 out if Finland. Had strong Canada Cup in 76 and impressed B's enough to come over that season. Scored 11 goals rookie season but could never quite gain the favor of Grapes and next season rights were sold to Quebec WHA. His son Nik later drafted by Panthers and lengthy career w/ several teams

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I get those not pleased with the lack of points by Coyle so far, but like others have pointed out, he's been saddled with 2 of the worst offensive producers in the entire league. You could take a prime Gretzky and he'd barely do anything with two offensive black holes like Nords and Backes.

Reactions: BMC

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not sure I get the Coyle supporters here. Maybe 617? I'm just not seeing anything in his game that makes me think that Sweeney won this trade. I bet if the trade had been us trading Coyle for Donato (also 617) it would have been a great, GREAT win.

I'm simply seeing a big guy not using his size. Not generating scoring chances. Not finishing and not playing physical. Seems like a big floater to me.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Krejci cant even get consistent wingers. Coyle isnt getting scoring wingers anytime soon
Whats funny is Kretch has produced all season long while we can't even get one good game from Coyle. Had Kretch played like Coyle has since we got him people would want him run out of town. 617?

Reactions: smack66

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I'm not sure I get the Coyle supporters here. Maybe 617? I'm just not seeing anything in his game that makes me think that Sweeney won this trade. I bet if the trade had been us trading Coyle for Donato (also 617) it would have been a great, GREAT win.

I'm simply seeing a big guy not using his size. Not generating scoring chances. Not finishing and not playing physical. Seems like a big floater to me.
This trade was never about getting the better player. It was about filling a specific need. Coyle fills that need very well. We needed someone who could eat up minutes playing on the third line while maintaining pressure. We got exactly that.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
This trade was never about getting the better player. It was about filling a specific need. Coyle fills that need very well. We needed someone who could eat up minutes playing on the third line while maintaining pressure. We got exactly that.
If we needed the role of big, soft, lazy player filled then we got our guy and Sweeney won based on need.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Whats funny is Kretch has produced all season long while we can't even get one good game from Coyle. Had Kretch played like Coyle has since we got him people would want him run out of town. 617?

Krejic gets powerplay time and Jake DeBrusk, but good try there.

This has to be trolling at this point. Nordstrom and Backes, that's all we need to say about Coyle's time as a Bruin. I don't care where he's from or where he was taken in the draft, being a Boston boy means nothing. He is a perfect fit for the 3C and once he gets wingers, that line will be a force every shift at both ends.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It is trolling. You guys are talking to ghosts right now from my POV lol

You can’t say he’s been a bad player. It’s factually inaccurate. He hasn’t been productive (and understandably so) but he’s been far from bad

I think he’s a better center than winger too

Last edited:

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Krejic gets powerplay time and Jake DeBrusk, but good try there.

This has to be trolling at this point. Nordstrom and Backes, that's all we need to say about Coyle's time as a Bruin. I don't care where he's from or where he was taken in the draft, being a Boston boy means nothing. He is a perfect fit for the 3C and once he gets wingers, that line will be a force every shift at both ends.
Don't get me wrong here. I want Coyle and every Bruin to be a huge success. It just looks like Coyle isn't doing much to justify trading Donato (a player I did not like) for him.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
It is trolling. You guys are talking to ghosts right now from my POV lol

You can’t say he’s been a bad player. It’s facrually inaccurate. He hasn’t been productive (and understandably so) but he’s been far from bad

I think he’s a better center than winger too
Why is me not agreeing with you, skelen and blowfish "trolling"? I thought opinions were ok. :huh:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Why is me not agreeing with you, skelen and blowfish "trolling"? I thought opinions were ok. :huh:

Frowned upon when criticizing anything Bruin.

I do disagree with you here as I think Coyle has been visible and good so far. At some point linemates or not that third line needs to produce points or it will be a quick April

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015

Opinions are fine, but this is farfetched. You're saying Coyle is useless, but fail to see that his wingers are amongst the worst in the league offensively. You also don't seem to understand that he wasn't brought in for an offensive role. He's a 3C who can play the wing but prefers center which is why MoJo was brought in.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
My hope was that he was going to be a modern-day Joel Otto, a player that none of you remember.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Opinions are great, ones with no basis in reality aren’t. If you watch the games and think he’s a useless player then there is no point in having a conversation

Reactions: Skelen

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Opinions are great, ones with no basis in reality aren’t. If you watch the games and think he’s a useless player then there is no point in having a conversation
I'm happy that you like him. Reality is that he's 6'3" and plays 5'3". I hate using the "his linemates are crap" excuse for him almost as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad