Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Donato hits the weights this summer and trains his ass off, he'll be a good middle six scoring winger. He might end up being a 45-50 pt. LW, with 25 goals. Sort of like a slower Zucker. He does look pretty weak...gets pushed off the puck pretty easily. Really good shot...better than Zuckers. If he is on a line with some strong two way players like Ek or Greenway who can do the dirty work for him then he will be an asset. I don't think he is the type who can do the dirty work for others. He tries, but...like i said, a good summer of training will help.

Coyle has looked good when I've seen him, but he isn't producing. Still think his versatility and size make him valuable, and the points will come. He gets on hot streaks, too, you know. People proclaiming "winners" after 11 gp. are being ridiculous. Coyle will be an asset when some other team decides to goon it up in the playoffs. If I was trying to intimidate a player, I'd sure rather it be Donato than Coyle. OH, and I like Coyle better as a C, too. Allows him to skate more.

aguineapig

I remember Joel Otto quite well, but you don't remember Matti Hagman and you coached him!

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I believe this guy is a center not a wing. He likes controlling the play be the guy moving the puck around. Once the injured return and the lines shake out he will be in his mor natatural position center

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I'm not sure I get the Coyle supporters here. Maybe 617? I'm just not seeing anything in his game that makes me think that Sweeney won this trade. I bet if the trade had been us trading Coyle for Donato (also 617) it would have been a great, GREAT win.

I'm simply seeing a big guy not using his size. Not generating scoring chances. Not finishing and not playing physical. Seems like a big floater to me.

Yeah, I really give a **** that he’s from Weymouth.

I’m seeing a team that finally has a 3rd line center and the 2nd most points in the league. I’m seeing a guy who is better than JFK or Frederic or Backes at 3c. I am unsure about what you’re watching.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Can I just say that all the people say “Man oh man... just wait until Coyle *insert situation A, B, C, X, Y, Z* he’s going to be unreal”

It’s not going to happen. That’s the story of his career. Swiss Army knife of a player and a good NHLer but the guys in here waiting for an offensive outburst... make yourself comfortable cause it’s not gonna happen. That’s my prediction at least based off watching him for the better part of a decade in MN.

Where’s the dude who said he’d be the next Blake Wheeler? LOL

Reactions: veganbruin

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Can I just say that all the people say “Man oh man... just wait until Coyle *insert situation A, B, C, X, Y, Z* he’s going to be unreal”

It’s not going to happen. That’s the story of his career. Swiss Army knife of a player and a good NHLer but the guys in here waiting for an offensive outburst... make yourself comfortable cause it’s not gonna happen. That’s my prediction at least based off watching him for the better part of a decade in MN.

Where’s the dude who said he’d be the next Blake Wheeler? LOL

That’s definitely ridiculous. He’s pretty much a guy who’s going to score a point every other game, roughly. Blake Wheeler is a legit star. I’m sure whoever compared the two is an extreme outlier.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Yeah, I really give a **** that he’s from Weymouth.

I’m seeing a team that finally has a 3rd line center and the 2nd most points in the league. I’m seeing a guy who is better than JFK or Frederic or Backes at 3c. I am unsure about what you’re watching.

This is the absolute best way to put it and should end the entire "debate".

We haven't had a 3C all year, 2nd in the NHL and Donato was playing in Pro. so he was doing nothing anyway. Chances are he wasn't bumping either Marchand or DeBrusk out of the 1-2 LW spots and he couldn't do a thing in our top 9. Doesn't matter who he will be next year, this is a better team today and still has boat loads of potential in Pro. that could make an impact next season. Hell, even Pro. is playing better since he left!!

I like(d) Donato and want to see him do well, but his play since the trade screams Ryan Spooner 2.0. Time will tell but I'm happy with Coyle and can't wait to see this team at 100%

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
My hope was that he was going to be a modern-day Joel Otto, a player that none of you remember.
Otto was the man in Calgary. Clutch faceoff man, and played a smart d game.

Don't give up on Coyle. He is better than his numbers..but Donatos production sure is making it look like Sweeney overpaid.

Short term,
Bruins are better with Coyle than with Donato in Providence.

Reactions: veganbruin

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Otto was the man in Calgary. Clutch faceoff man, and played a smart d game.

Don't give up on Coyle. He is better than his numbers..but Donatos production sure is making it look like Sweeney overpaid.

Short term,
Bruins are better with Coyle than with Donato in Providence.

I don’t disagree and a lot of people here think I am the biggest Coyle hater when in reality it’s more that Sweeney overpaid that I’m having a hard time with.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I’m in NYC for the weekend and got to see Donato vs Rangers on TV. He really looked good. Two goals and showing a lot of confidence. Somehow the Wild staff has tapped into his potential.

MillerTime86

Nov 30, 2018
I don’t disagree and a lot of people here think I am the biggest Coyle hater when in reality it’s more that Sweeney overpaid that I’m having a hard time with.
Exactly. I have a hard time believing that it took Donato to get Coyle. I’d bet anything this deal could have still been had for less. Yes, Benoit helps us in Boston more than Donato did in Providence, but should he have been in Providence?? Seems like a mismanaged player to me, a guy gets a new coach and all of a sudden 11 points in 12 games and a +6?? Not really screaming ‘defensive liability’ there. If they were worried about his defense, stick him with Bergy.

Guy has the potential to be an offensive threat for a long time to come. The comps to Spooner are ridiculous in my opinion... Donato’s a sniper who can also pass. Spooner is a passer who has a hard time finishing.

The ceiling on Benoit is what it is ... Probably best suited as a 3rd line center on this team, which we needed. But they gave up too much to get him and gave up on a promising young player too early. Again.

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Exactly. I have a hard time believing that it took Donato to get Coyle. I’d bet anything this deal could have still been had for less. Yes, Benoit helps us in Boston more than Donato did in Providence, but should he have been in Providence?? Seems like a mismanaged player to me, a guy gets a new coach and all of a sudden 11 goals in 12 games and a +6?? Not really screaming ‘defensive liability’ there. If they were worried about his defense, stick him with Bergy.

Guy has the potential to be an offensive threat for a long time to come. The comps to Spooner are ridiculous in my opinion... Donato’s a sniper who can also pass. Spooner is a passer who has a hard time finishing.

The ceiling on Benoit is what it is ... Probably best suited as a 3rd line center on this team, which we needed. But they gave up too much to get him and gave up on a promising young player too early. Again.

You referring to Coyle as "Benoit" is the dumbest thing.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Exactly. I have a hard time believing that it took Donato to get Coyle. I’d bet anything this deal could have still been had for less. Yes, Benoit helps us in Boston more than Donato did in Providence, but should he have been in Providence?? Seems like a mismanaged player to me, a guy gets a new coach and all of a sudden 11 goals in 12 games and a +6?? Not really screaming ‘defensive liability’ there. If they were worried about his defense, stick him with Bergy.

@Gee Wally posted that a GM confirmed that the asking price in a lot of deals Sweeney was in on was Vaakaneinen and/or Studnika or bith.

So Minnesota asking for Donato isn’t a reach at all

It was reported day after draft by a GM wishing to be anonymous that every deal Sweeney inquered about the opposing GMs asked for Studnicka or Vaak and in some cases both.

MillerTime86

Nov 30, 2018
@Gee Wally posted that a GM confirmed that the asking price in a lot of deals Sweeney was in on was Vaakaneinen and/or Studnika or bith.

So Minnesota asking for Donato isn’t a reach at all
Certainly not a reach... you can ask for anything you want. What you’re going to get is a different story entirely though. An item’s value is only worth what somebody else is willing to pay for it. I doubt there was a line of teams willing to part with top tier prospects for Benoit Coyle.

Don’t think it needed to be Donato ... I’d be willing to bet something like Cehlarik and a pick (2nd/3rd) would have gotten it done.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Certainly not a reach... you can ask for anything you want. What you’re going to get is a different story entirely though. An item’s value is only worth what somebody else is willing to pay for it. I doubt there was a line of teams willing to part with top tier prospects for Benoit Coyle.

Don’t think it needed to be Donato ... I’d be willing to bet something like Cehlarik and a pick (2nd/3rd) would have gotten it done.

Well...that was the ask, that was the agreement, that was the trade

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

You won’t be betting with my money that is for sure.

A headache complaining player demanding more in the AHL gets traded to a playoff bubble team who tells him to just do what he wants that will fall back to earth soon is a good trade.

Anything else you are suggesting is just pure speculation based on bias and not fact

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Coyle is going to be solid. He's got a John madden feel to him.

Donato on the other hand may be another Frank Vatrano.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

I think you are 100% wrong with this. No way Cehlarik+2nd would have been accepted by Minnesota. Fenton’s MO from all of his trades have been younger players with potential to be better in the long term (Coyle for Donato, Granlund for Fiala).
Y’all need to chill. Coyle is a pretty streaky player that is fantastic when he’s on but not a defensive liability when he’s off. He’s a .5ppg player and obviously right now he’s playing way below that. Just give him time and some decent players to work with.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
My hope was that he was going to be a modern-day Joel Otto, a player that none of you remember.
My hope is we end up with a Rich Peverley (without the heart condition). Someone that came in and filled a needed role on a cup winning team. A situation where both teams walked away from the trade very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad