Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If Donato isn't scoring goals, then he's really not doing much of anything else on the ice. When Coyle isn't scoring goals, he's making plays, creating space, playing a two-way game, using his size and winning face-offs.

If I were the GM I'd by working on a long-term extension right now with Coyle. Don't know what he would command as a UFA given what someone like Hayes got, but maybe something like 5x5m gets it done? Unsure, to be honest.
he`s definitely shwon he is committed to all 3 zones too which is huge on the B`s wish list. I don`t think 5X5 is unreasonable, much will depend on how he plays this year, his desire to play at home. I like the B`s chances to extend him, seems like such a great fit for both sides

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Looked great last night however he got himself into trouble and turned the puck over that led to the goal. He can be a little trick or treat sometimes.

He didn't "get himself in trouble". He went to the net
almost halfway in the OZ and got closed on by 2-3
Stars. As pointed out he isn't to blame for the horrible
change by the D. What a garbage take.

Name me one 3C thats less "trick or treat" than Coyle.
Guy was a huge reason B's went to finals and won last night with Coyle being #2C but playing like he is a #1.

Bruins are screwed w/o him if either Bergeron or Krejci have injury issues.

Be thankful he is here. He literally maybe their #1C at times this season
if either 37/46 are out and the other isn't 100%.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins’ Charlie Coyle was a force against the Stars - The Boston Globe

DALLAS — Charlie Coyle, impressive in training camp, followed through with a superb effort in the season opener, with his telltale gloveprints all over both of the early strikes that led the Bruins to their 2-1 win over the Stars.

Obtained in the trade deadline deal in February that shipped top prospect Ryan Donato to the Wild, Coyle is one of 10 free agents on the Boston roster. The trickier signing for GM Don Sweeney no doubt will be Torey Krug, the top scorer on the backline, but the 27-year-old Coyle will be both a critical and expensive signing.

“Arguably our best, most noticeable player in camp,” said coach Bruce Cassidy.

“The screen, to me, made that goal,” noted Cassidy. “A good shot by Danton, might have gone in anyway, don’t get me wrong, but Bishop is a real good goalie. You have to take away his eyes. Charlie did a good job there. He was originally one of the guys that was going to be on the elbow, not net-front, but he had the presence of mind to get there — a fluid game, you have to adjust sometimes.”

Reactions: BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He has been a great fit here. I hope Mr Sweeney signs him long term.
I get the impression that Mr Sweeney hopes to as well, personally, if he could wrap Coyle up for 5 years I`d be happy, take him up to, I believe, 32 years old?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Call me crazy, but i think it will be a good sign if Coyle does make a few more turnovers.

In MN, he was so busy being a good, two way soldier that I believe it stifled his skill game, and left him as a player with tantalizing, but undeveloped offensive potential. If he is allowed to carry the puck more(which happens at C, anyway) and experiment offensively, then the immediate result might be more mistakes, but the possible long term result could be him turning into a legit #2C.

I think you're dreaming if you think you can get him for 5 x 5M. The financial landscape has changed for FA's.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I get the impression that Mr Sweeney hopes to as well, personally, if he could wrap Coyle up for 5 years I`d be happy, take him up to, I believe, 32 years old?
I thought he was already 30. Good to know he's only 27.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He didn't "get himself in trouble". He went to the net
almost halfway in the OZ and got closed on by 2-3
Stars. As pointed out he isn't to blame for the horrible
change by the D. What a garbage take.

Name me one 3C thats less "trick or treat" than Coyle.
Guy was a huge reason B's went to finals and won last night with Coyle being #2C but playing like he is a #1.

Bruins are screwed w/o him if either Bergeron or Krejci have injury issues.

Be thankful he is here. He literally maybe their #1C at times this season
if either 37/46 are out and the other isn't 100%.
His invaluable

if Bergeron or Krejci’s out you can play Coyle at second line - he would be excellent with DeBrusk based on style

Lindholm & Kuraly can play bottom 6 or call up Gaunce

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I’ve been praising Coyle all night talking with cousins on messenger . I said he was a late blooming star , they are Montreal fans so of course they just laughed at me . Come on Charlie , don’t let me down !

Reactions: TCB and BMC

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I think you're dreaming if you think you can get him for 5 x 5M. The financial landscape has changed for FA's.

i think it's actually a pretty reasonable offer. maybe add a 6th year.
what's his ultimate upside really? 25-35-60? bruins seem to do a nice
job with contracts, so we'll see.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Call me crazy, but i think it will be a good sign if Coyle does make a few more turnovers.

In MN, he was so busy being a good, two way soldier that I believe it stifled his skill game, and left him as a player with tantalizing, but undeveloped offensive potential. If he is allowed to carry the puck more(which happens at C, anyway) and experiment offensively, then the immediate result might be more mistakes, but the possible long term result could be him turning into a legit #2C.

Wouldn't be surprised it its $4.75 per for 5/6 years.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He signed a 6 /3.2M prior to this. He is going to want to get paid, and he is going to want to stay in BOS long term. He is too old for a " prove it" contract, and too young to settle for a hometown discount deal.

Something like 6x6(mebbe 5. 75 to keep him under a certain number). Seems high for a 45 pt. player, but he brings a lot to the table, and I think it possible he could be a 55-60 pt. player if surrounded by the right talent and given the right TOI.

Sounds weird to say with a player his age, but it's still hard to gauge what kind of player he's going to turn out to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
He signed a 6 /3.2M prior to this. He is going to want to get paid, and he is going to want to stay in BOS long term. He is too old for a " prove it" contract, and too young to settle for a hometown discount deal.

so what's your prediction? toss it out. will be fun to look back on this.

i'll say 6 years 30 MIL

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
BOS has done such a good job of getting players on bargain contracts that it's hard to say. I'll say 6/35M.

His agent should be fired if he gets significantly less than Backes.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
everybody loves playing in Boston, but his agent's job is to get the biggest contract and they'll use Kevin Hayes are the bar

If that is the bar, do you feel okay with giving Coyle those numbers and term? We will assume for the moment that Krejci retires after this contract like he said he would do, and that Bergeron has a few years yet as a top 6. Does this mean Coyle needs to be our #2 center, or even #1 if Bergeron begins to decline? Kind of interesting to think about if you get into Kevin Hayes contract areas.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If that is the bar, do you feel okay with giving Coyle those numbers and term? We will assume for the moment that Krejci retires after this contract like he said he would do, and that Bergeron has a few years yet as a top 6. Does this mean Coyle needs to be our #2 center, or even #1 if Bergeron begins to decline? Kind of interesting to think about if you get into Kevin Hayes contract areas.

Coyle is what? 27/28? My preference is a 5 year deal taking him to 32/33, let`s see how he`d feel about that, could still very much set himself up for a nice payday, have solid security of playing for an organization who appears to be on a path of remaining competitive and gets some home cookin` to boot

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Coyle is what? 27/28? My preference is a 5 year deal taking him to 32/33, let`s see how he`d feel about that

Yeah , that would be right, take him to 33, just like Hayes' deal. 5 years at 7 per is basically a replacement for Krejci's deal. Which is why I am kind of interested in how this goes should Krejci want to re-sign for a couple more years.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

His body of work has been very good in Boston, especially the playoffs where everyone could see. Since he's a UFA he'll get a big deal if he plays well this year. Do I think the Bruins will pay Hayes money? no, so they might have another Loui Eriksson situation. If Charlie wants to stay, the Bruins will bring him in at 5.25 AAV I think.

Reactions: Dr Hook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad