Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
His last deal was a steal for Minnesota, so I have trouble seeing him giving much of a discount this time, even if he loves playing for the hometown team. He's 28, and this is likely his last chance to get PAID. Unless he has a bad year, I'd think that he'd want max term. A 5 or 6 year deal only takes him through 32 or 33 seasons, and it will be harder to sign something big then, especially since he isn't a star. He's probably not going to get the Hayes contract, but if he scores 50+ points, his agent will certainly ask for something close to that.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
BOS has done such a good job of getting players on bargain contracts that it's hard to say. I'll say 6/35M.

His agent should be fired if he gets significantly less than Backes.
They said the same thing about McAvoy and Carlo.
In the end no one saw it coming.

Reactions: BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
His last deal was a steal for Minnesota, so I have trouble seeing him giving much of a discount this time, even if he loves playing for the hometown team. He's 28, and this is likely his last chance to get PAID. Unless he has a bad year, I'd think that he'd want max term. A 5 or 6 year deal only takes him through 32 or 33 seasons, and it will be harder to sign something big then, especially since he isn't a star. He's probably not going to get the Hayes contract, but if he scores 50+ points, his agent will certainly ask for something close to that.

was it a steal though? May look like one now but if I recall correctly, it wasn`t as though Charlie was ripping it up with the Wild. He signed that deal in, I`m guessing 2014 seeing as it`s a 5 year deal which expires at the end of this year? Not sure having not looked at his stats that he`d even scored 15 goals in his first two seasons or even hit 40 pts. An argument could be made that the deal might have been, at that time, a bit of an over payment, now, it looks great now but I`m not in agreement it was a steal, if anything, I think the Wild were hoping Coyle would turn out to be the kind of player that we are all seeing now but the problem is, they treated him like a yo yo shifting him between wing and centre

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
everybody loves playing in Boston, but his agent's job is to get the biggest contract and they'll use Kevin Hayes are the bar
His agent can ask for whatever he wants, and Sweeney can offer whatever he wants.

Remember McAvoy and Carlo? Everyone was way out in the field.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
was it a steal though? May look like one now but if I recall correctly, it wasn`t as though Charlie was ripping it up with the Wild. He signed that deal in, I`m guessing 2014 seeing as it`s a 5 year deal which expires at the end of this year? Not sure having not looked at his stats that he`d even scored 15 goals in his first two seasons or even hit 40 pts. An argument could be made that the deal might have been, at that time, a bit of an over payment, now, it looks great now but I`m not in agreement it was a steal, if anything, I think the Wild were hoping Coyle would turn out to be the kind of player that we are all seeing now but the problem is, they treated him like a yo yo shifting him between wing and centre

95% of his games were RW. Mostly on 3rd line, some games in the 1st. Rarely on powerplay.

Coyle's real problem is that he separates his shoulders and other ligaments way too early in the season. Come playoffs he is MIA due to being in ready for IR.

I mean nobody can do this for 100 games a year.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Different situation though, they were RFA's
Point was, everyone was overpaying them.
I believe it's the same thing again.
Like I read probably here, Sweeney will go right away with a fair offer to begin with, not much wiggle room for more.
Agents and players then realize it's fair. Some realize faster than others.
That's how I see it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Migod, what a hit. OH, and Coyle did not play 95% of the time at RW. That is misinformation.

Hayes is an overpayment. Imwould think that Coyle would be more reasonable than to use that as a comparable.

Reactions: BMC

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Point was, everyone was overpaying them.
I believe it's the same thing again.
Like I read probably here, Sweeney will go right away with a fair offer to begin with, not much wiggle room for more.
Agents and players then realize it's fair. Some realize faster than others.
That's how I see it.

Im sure the Bruins will make a fair offer, always a risk waiting until free agency with injury risk on the players part. 5.25 AAV for 5 years would be good IMO. Lets him stay with his hometown team

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Im sure the Bruins will make a fair offer, always a risk waiting until free agency with injury risk on the players part. 5.25 AAV for 5 years would be good IMO. Lets him stay with his hometown team
Sweeney is negotiating with both agents for Krug and Coyle.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Everyone in the hockey world including agents knew the Hayes contract was a massive overpayment by the Flyers. Hayes wasn't taking a penny less to sign with them.

It was also an outlier just like Marner's deal the rest of the UFA contracts were pretty reasonable and a sign that teams had learned from 2015 and reeled it in. Same with the RFA signings.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Coyle making $4.25 M this year

If I’m his agent I’m not even talking unless the year AVV starts with a 6

Reactions: LouJersey

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think we need to see a lot more before giving any kind of accurate projection for a cap number. Production is such a big part of the cap hit I think and he's coming off a 34 point year.

Reactions: Lo97 and chizzler

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
We’ll see where his numbers start to accumulate. I don’t give him 6 mil as is. I doubt Sweeney gets suckered into another 6 year deal with Coyle. Where are 47 and 74 going to fall in?

Reactions: maxl7 and Lo97

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I just remember thinking when he signed that contract that it was a terrible deal for him. It wasn't that he had been a great player, but it just seemed like a crazy idea to be locked in at that number for 6 years. It was the type of number that you would sign for 3, maybe 4, years, but definitely not 6.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'd rather keep Coyle over Krug. We have plenty of quality D and next to no C prospects

I agree, there is no C in the Bruins system right now that can play on the big team as a regular player. I'm still not sure if Coyle would be good as a regular 2C but he's certainly the best option available if Krejci leaves or retires after his present deal is over. Or God forbid is traded before then.

And I will repeat that I do not want to see him on Krejci's wing ever, he's too valuable at 3C.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think we need to see a lot more before giving any kind of accurate projection for a cap number. Production is such a big part of the cap hit I think and he's coming off a 34 point year.

You have to project in professional sports based on the data you have

he’s coming off an excellent playoff

He played his best when it mattered

I’d have no problem going 6/36 at 6 tonight

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017

That's a lot of money for a third line center who will be 28/29 when his deal kicks in. I know everyone is penciling in Coyle as the future Krejci replacement but that seems steep. By the time Krejci's deal is up Coyle will be at the age where we'll be wondering the same things about him as we are with Krejci now!

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

I'm looking at it more from Coyle's angle. I feel like he'd be better off waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->