Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
I agree, there is no C in the Bruins system right now that can play on the big team as a regular player. I'm still not sure if Coyle would be good as a regular 2C but he's certainly the best option available if Krejci leaves or retires after his present deal is over. Or God forbid is traded before then.

And I will repeat that I do not want to see him on Krejci's wing ever, he's too valuable at 3C.

I think Coyle could work great as a 2nd line C if he was given another great winger

Heinen- Coyle- Debrusk/Bjork/etc

Looking at the available C UFA over the next 2 years and there's next to nothing.
The Bruins really need to buckle down and draft a ton of centers.

Reactions: BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm looking at it more from Coyle's angle. I feel like he'd be better off waiting.
Why? You live once you are playing for your hometown team on a good team

if it’s me and they pay me well and give me some form of NMC especially first 1/2 of deal I sign immediately

Reactions: Spooner st

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think Coyle could work great as a 2nd line C if he was given another great winger

Heinen- Coyle- Debrusk/Bjork/etc

Looking at the available C UFA over the next 2 years and there's next to nothing.
The Bruins really need to buckle down and draft a ton of centers.
They have

2019 Beecher
2017 Studnicka
2016 Frederic

Two 1st rounders & a second

all strong skaters and 6’2”+

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
That's a lot of money for a third line center who will be 28/29 when his deal kicks in. I know everyone is penciling in Coyle as the future Krejci replacement but that seems steep. By the time Krejci's deal is up Coyle will be at the age where we'll be wondering the same things about him as we are with Krejci now!

I think in all fairness Coyle is bit more than your average 3C. That might be his sweet spot, but he can play up if needed and be okay, and he also plays on the 2nd PP unit. Not to mention he can go in at wing. A 5 year deal would take him to 33 or so? Probably right till the end of his shelf life or thereabout. I think he is worth signing at 6 per for 5. Even more so since Krejci and Bergeron have both proven to be less than durable at times and are at the dicey age where coming back from a minor knock isn't as fast or easy.

Reactions: maxl7

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
None of whom projects to be a #1 center, unfortunately. That's Boston's glaring weakness.
Bergeron and Marchand didn’t project to be first line players

neither did Kucherov or Point

you want first line projected players use the Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Buffalo, Tampa models

you know what they all have in common ?

They sucked - picked 1 overall atleast once and all picked in top 5 multiple times

Bruins fans can’t handle in the 90’s let alone 50 points

McAvoy & Pastrnak were not projected studs or they would have gone higher

you never know

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
This is the crowd that thought MacAvoy wasn’t getting 8 mil.
Edit: was getting 8 mil.

Last edited:

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Bergeron and Marchand didn’t project to be first line players

neither did Kucherov or Point

you want first line projected players use the Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Buffalo, Tampa models

you know what they all have in common ?

They sucked - picked 1 overall atleast once and all picked in top 5 multiple times

Bruins fans can’t handle in the 90’s let alone 50 points

McAvoy & Pastrnak were not projected studs or they would have gone higher

you never know

That’s fair. You never know, but I don’t think that any of Beecher, Studnicka and Frederic are or will be on the level of the players whom you mention.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
I think in all fairness Coyle is bit more than your average 3C. That might be his sweet spot, but he can play up if needed and be okay, and he also plays on the 2nd PP unit. Not to mention he can go in at wing. A 5 year deal would take him to 33 or so? Probably right till the end of his shelf life or thereabout. I think he is worth signing at 6 per for 5. Even more so since Krejci and Bergeron have both proven to be less than durable at times and are at the dicey age where coming back from a minor knock isn't as fast or easy.
Sorry, I meant he would be the 3C while Krejci and Bergeron are both still on the roster, not necessarily that that's his ceiling or all he's capable of.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
1 pt in 6 games - now's the time to sign him!

Sure looks like he came as advertised with flashes of real strong play and then lulls where he's just out there. The playoffs are all that matter IMO and he brought it . So here's hoping Sweeney brings him a good deal soon

member 96824

This is the crowd that thought MacAvoy wasn’t getting 8 mil.
Edit: was getting 8 mil.

Yeah I still can't believe they locked Charlie McAvoy in at that bridge price for 8 years.

that's how this works right?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Yeah I still can't believe they locked Charlie McAvoy in at that bridge price for 8 years.

that's how this works right?
I think most people were giving him big bucks for his short body of work. Not enough there to warrant that type of contract. I was on the bridge boat.

member 96824

I think most people were giving him big bucks for his short body of work. Not enough there to warrant that type of contract. I was on the bridge boat.

that’s great. I don’t recall anyone saying 8M for 3 years though. The 8M talk was on a 8 year hypothetical. I don’t think it discredits anyone because McAvoy signed a bridge at 4.9 which will have a qualifying offer after it of $7.3M.

In fact, I think that crowd has a good finger on the pulse.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
that’s great. I don’t recall anyone saying 8M for 3 years though. The 8M talk was on a 8 year hypothetical. I don’t think it discredits anyone because McAvoy signed a bridge at 4.9 which will have a qualifying offer after it of $7.3M.

In fact, I think that crowd has a good finger on the pulse.
I don’t. He can’t stay healthy. Your going to give him an 8 yr deal? He wasn’t that good last year. He played good towards the end. There were times he should have been in the press box.

Reactions: Bun Cook

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
1 pt in 6 games - now's the time to sign him!

Sure looks like he came as advertised with flashes of real strong play and then lulls where he's just out there. The playoffs are all that matter IMO and he brought it . So here's hoping Sweeney brings him a good deal soon

I still have my doubts he'll ever be a point getter? If this isn't his break out year I don't know what to think? He can lug the puck out of his end like hell and go deep into the offensive zone but why isn't that translating to more points?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
He's 2-3-5 in 22 games without Marcus Johansson

I love the player. Never thought I would, but he could use some scoring help with him, someone who likes to shoot. He is a possession monster you surround him with skill and he would produce a load of points.

Get a 3LC and put him with Marchand and Bergeron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad