Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
im one of coyles biggest supporters... loved the trade when it happened... defended him during his slump... picked him my playoff darkhorse… but all that said, I am always a realist and coyles number 1 complaint his entire career is inconsistentcy {I cant spell it, but I know this is a huge complaint for most 'non superstars'}

I said from the second we got coyle… scouts have been talking about his tools from the first time they saw him. he was a key in the brent burns trade because of his known potential. he was always a guy that people can expect a good performance from, because thats who he has always been.

he actually averaged over a 50 point pace in both 2017 and 2018 seasons... so this year's struggles were quite abnormal and I guess thats why a lot of casual fans got all concerned when he had his career worst ever slump at the time of the deadline and through the last of the season.

so what am I saying? im glad some of you are 'surprised' that hes 'good' but he was always good. this shouldnt be a true surprise for anyone that was paying closer attention.

and...

sorry people, but its very likely he will have struggles in the future. hes ran hot and cold his entire career. I personally will hope his next cold streak happens during next years meaningless regular season. I hope it wont be as bad as this years cold streak was. but coyle isnt some unknown we traded for. he has 500 regular season career games and put up 248 points. he had around 95 points in around 140 games his last 2 years before this season. thats who he is. thats who we traded for.

and if everyone is getting a chance to see it now in these playoffs... good... but thats what the team and its scouts and its gm were expecting all along

now lets hope marcus Johansson can get healthy enough and settled into the lineup to give us what we wanted from him too

Reactions: ODAAT

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
he earned his paychecks but if wants a bit raise on his next deal, we still want to see more. Columbus is a deeper team than Toronto in my humble opinion and it will be interested to see how the 3rd line matchups play out

Columbus doesnt have the top 6 talent Toronto or boston has... our big guns need to show up and win their battles for us to get through this next round....

and Columbus talent on the blueline is much better than torontos… that could prove a challenge... predicting a long series and a tougher one. props to Toronto for taking us to 7 but honestly I think thats more some mistakes in our early serious coaching decesions and some mistakes in how we were trying play

once boston started to play our style of heavy play we went 3-1 outscoring them around 17-7 or thereabouts

Reactions: missingchicklet

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
he earned his paychecks but if wants a bit raise on his next deal, we still want to see more. Columbus is a deeper team than Toronto in my humble opinion and it will be interested to see how the 3rd line matchups play out

Columbus doesnt have the top 6 talent Toronto or boston has... our big guns need to show up and win their battles for us to get through this next round....

and Columbus talent on the blueline is much better than torontos… that could prove a challenge... predicting a long series and a tougher one. props to Toronto for taking us to 7 but honestly I think thats more some mistakes in our early serious coaching decesions and some mistakes in how we were trying play

once boston started to play our style of heavy play we went 3-1 outscoring them around 17-7 or thereabouts
Excellent analysis! The series with Columbus is going to be interesting as heck in terms of matchups. I agree that the big guns are going to need to provide more scoring in round 2.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I love Donato but I don't see how the Bruins win this series without the contributions of Coyle. Once Kadri got himself suspended again, the mismatch up the middle became apparent.

Reactions: TwineTickler

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm bummed about the trade, but I'm a MN fan. People insist on calling Charlie soft...because he doesn't fight? Because he doesn't cross check people after the whistle in scrums around the crease? Because he doesn't cheapshot?

He plays tough by shielding the puck, going fearlessly into any area, and taking on any player along the wall, or anywhere else, and often winning the puck battle. He will also take a hit in order to make a play, and he doesn't take stupid penalties. Against teams like TOR with their deadly PP, that last point is key.

He still has more to offer, IMO(wait till you see him wind up on a rush and mow over people), but I think the coaching staff has impressed upon him that his role is to be that of a defensive minded 3C, #2PP unit, and occasional 2nd liner, at need. That is the best thing for him. He was bounced all over the place with the Wild, and I think it confused him.

BTW, he almost never played PK for the Wild.

The main thing with Coyle is to keep him engaged. I think he really liked MN, but never made a secret of his love for his hometown, and I'm guessing he is pumped to be in the playoffs with the team he grew up idolizing. That's gotta get him up for games.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's not really an offensive player, but he had a very strong series. Really big in the 3rd period tonight
Sometimes he will show a few things that make you go, "whoa!". If he is playing on the 3rd line, though, with him as the best player, you can't expect much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->