Confirmed with Link: Chara signs 1 year $5m deal

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
So basically it's 6.75?

Yes and no. I'm sure the "performance incentives" are low enough that a healthy Chara will make them. But there's a slight advantage to the Bruins structuring it this way...they can move the $1.75 million from 2018-2019 to the following season if they go over the cap next year. Teams are allowed to go over the cap by 7.5% in performance cap bonus "promises", although those don't count if they don't get paid.

We did it in 2013-4 with Iginla to a MUCH bigger extent, IIRC. We paid him a ton in 2013-4, but I think a good portion of his contract was in bonuses. His bonuses made us exceed the actual cap for 2013-4, so the extra carried forward into 2014-5, and I think it handicapped us.

This is a different situation....it's a much smaller bonus than Iggy's, I think. I like the year-to-year, and I -LOVE- having Chara with the Bruins for at least another year.

Reactions: Thrive

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom,

So the bonuses if achieved would count against the 19-20 cap? Also, any feelings on if those bonuses are more than likely easily to be achieved?

Not necessarily. If they have the cap room (and they should) they will count towards 2018-2019. But it gives them leeway to spend more and have them count to 2019-2020.

My guess on bonuses are games played, TOI per game (likely top 3 on team) will give him a bonus, and maybe something dependent on how far they get in the playoffs.

Reactions: old blue

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Not necessarily. If they have the cap room (and they should) they will count towards 2018-2019. But it gives them leeway to spend more and have them count to 2019-2020.

My guess on bonuses are games played, TOI per game (likely top 3 on team) will give him a bonus, and maybe something dependent on how far they get in the playoffs.

Ah, thank you Master Yoda. <3

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Great news. No one better than Chara around all the young kids coming up.

I hope he stays with the organisation for years after he's done playing.

I have seen a couple of these posts, but when you actually look at it, not so sure?

Excluding Chara, the B's have the following coming back next year:

Krug LD
Grizz LD

McAvoy RD
Carlo RD
McQ RD
Miller RD

The more I think about it, the more I would have preferred bringing up Zboril/Lauzon next season for a crack at the 3rd pair with one of McQ or Miller. Before watching Grizz this year, I never would have dreamed he could play Top 4, but now I think he may be able to.

Keeping Chara for another year at $5m (and potentially $6.75m) means that you are not keeping one of McQuaid or Miller, and it also means that unless Grizz takes a huge step back, there are no spots for the young PRO D to compete for. Of course, there are always player's injured, but I wonder if cutting the cord would have been the best move?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If the cap is going to 80 million, this leaves around 15 million dollars of cap space (depending on how much performance bonus penalties Sweeney is willing to take for 19/20) and 17 signed roster players for next season. Backup goalie, few bottom-6 guys and Grzelcyk are must signs. Then there's the question of what to do with Nashes. Sweeney will have pretty good cap flexibility to do what he wants for next season.

With this move I doubt either Riley or Rick Nash will be brought back. Sign Schaller though who shouldnt demand much and is a perfect 4th line wing.

Bruins have a long list of young players they need to worry about signing next

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I have seen a couple of these posts, but when you actually look at it, not so sure?

Krug LD
Grizz LD

McAvoy RD
Carlo RD
McQ RD
Miller RD

The more I think about it, the more I would have preferred bringing up Zboril/Lauzon next season for a crack at the 3rd pair with one of McQ or Miller. Before watching Grizz this year, I never would have dreamed he could play Top 4, but now I think he may be able to.

Keeping Chara for another year at $5m (and potentially $6.75m) means that you are not keeping one of McQuaid or Miller, and it also means that unless Grizz takes a huge step back, there are no spots for the young PRO D to compete for. Of course, there are always player's injured, but I wonder if cutting the cord would have been the best move?

A big fat NO

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
2nd in the NHL in SH TOI/G, still leads the team in TOI overall, still puts up decent points for a shutdown guy, still drives possession and brings about a million intangibles.

If you ignore his age & just look at his performance he's totally worth the money.
I don't ignore his age though. Can't.

I hate saying this because I don't really disagree with anything you're saying. And Chara was one of my very favorite players even before he came to Boston... and since my admiration has only grown. I'm ecstatic that he's coming back for another year and it will be an awful day when we no longer have that to look forward to.

Just... Nearly seven makes me uncomfortable. He's at four this season... He was in line for a raise of nearly three more? Is he as effective now as he was when he was signed for $6.9M/yr?

I understand my reasoning is critically flawed. I beat myself up as I type it. I just feel a little icky about the money.

Reactions: Sevendust

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Krug LD
Grizz LD

McAvoy RD
Carlo RD
McQ RD
Miller RD

He's playing outstanding hockey so they cut cord and he can sign with Toronto and mentor there kids

Pass

I want to keep him right here

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Maybe its just me looking for something, but the B's announced they'd hold a press conference at 4:30 to react to Z's contract extension and my first reaction was "how often does a team hold presser to talk about an extension?"

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Fantastic signing. Great terms and length. Allow another season for Z to help in the development of the younger players.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

I hate saying this because I don't really disagree with anything you're saying. And Chara was one of my very favorite players even before he came to Boston... and since my admiration has only grown. I'm ecstatic that he's coming back for another year and it will be an awful day when we no longer have that to look forward to.

Just... Nearly seven makes me uncomfortable. He's at four this season... He was in line for a raise of nearly three more? Is he as effective now as he was when he was signed for $6.9M/yr?

I understand my reasoning is critically flawed. I beat myself up as I type it. I just feel a little icky about the money.

When he signed the $6.9M/per extension in 2010 the salary cap was like $56 Million. Now it is what $75M?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
A big fat NO

Tell me how you REALLY feel :laugh:

I hope I'm wrong, but I have seen a lot of fall off in his game the last couple of seasons, and I don't think he's worth the money they gave him. If you are going to pay him more, I suppose next year is the time to do it, as opposed to 2019-20 when they have a bunch of players to re-sign.

Reactions: Sevendust

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009

I hope I'm wrong, but I have seen a lot of fall off in his game the last couple of seasons, and I don't think he's worth the money they gave him. If you are going to pay him more, I suppose next year is the time to do it, as opposed to 2019-20 when they have a bunch of players to re-sign.

I think they are including some sort of compensation because he is making $4M this year. I agree with "fall off", but at $4M he is still a true and cheap top 3 dman.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I wouldn't go so far as to hypothesize that it may be better here without Chara. But I would question whether the difference between him staying and going is $6.75M. That that's what it required to keep him around.

Again, I have to repeat: Arguing this is really shitty of me.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Wonder what the bonuses are for and how easy it will be to hit them all.

5,000,000 a year would put him with the following in terms of base salary cap hit; tied for 44th in the NHL.
Andrew MacDonald
Danny DeKeyser
Alexander Edler
Morgan Rielly
Andy Greene

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa

Krug LD
Grizz LD

McAvoy RD
Carlo RD
McQ RD
Miller RD

Having such a young group of D I think makes having him around for one more year to tutor and anchor the blue line makes a lot of sense, now the year after when one of the young D is likely more than ready to make the jump and ideally Mcavoy and Carlo have established themselves as top 4 studs I can see us cutting ties with Chara. This is exactly the deal I was hoping for.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

but it's not nearly 7 if his age finally catches up with him. the bonuses will only kick in if he's still an effective player. look at any D who gives you what Chara gives you (if there are any) and they are absolutely worth 5+. and it's 1 year so it's only a problem if it forces you to lose someone next year (it won't)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad