Confirmed with Link: Chara signs 1 year $5m deal

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
How is this creative accounting?

Straight up $5M per with nearly $2m in incentives. Pretty straightforward?
That's what all my friends are texting me

Bunch of dummies

Should have known you're smarta den dem guyz

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Iggy bonuses moved to another year because we went over, iirc.

If cap is flat, which it won’t be, they’ll have 11m after the deal. Bonuses won’t be a problem to absorb next year. And that’s if the rags don’t buy out Beleskey, which could be a realistic option and would save Bruins more.

No issues w this.

Love the responses that are pure hyperbole.

Reactions: BMC and BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Not huge on keeping Chara; it's fine for one year, I guess. But, McQ is the weakest of that bunch, including Z and he should be dealt.

Why? What does Chara's extension have anything to do with McQuaid? They can afford both next year.

Onto Chara, this is excellent news. 1-year deal next year, and if he can still play and wants to play, keep going with 1-year deals (as long as they fit within the salary structure). I'm very happy with a 1-year deal.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
what game? I'm not talking about a single game. He averages 3:41 per night on the PK (2nd in the league). And get out of here with that "he only does one thing" BS. You're better than that & know that's not true. That's just one reason he's still extremely valuable. He also leads the team in TOI overall, is on a 27 point pace with no PP time any more, and is the best mentor for young D you could ask for.

and if I can't ignore the bonuses until we know what they are then you can't assume he hits them either.

Ok, so now we can pretty much assume he will make at least $6.5m, unless the wheels come off, which I don't foresee.

I loved what Chara gave the B's in the past and I appreciate the Cup, whole nine yards.

I also realize that he's still a good defensive d-man, and very good on the PK because he doesn't have to move much. The other team wants to be in the B's end and he has less ground to cover.

I also realize that he has a TON of experience and can be a great mentor and calming influence on the young D.

That being said, I have some major issues with his puck possession, his puck handling abilities (under duress), and his lack of skating/speed.

He puts his D partners, and sometimes his F's in precarious positions because of where he gives them the puck.

He is a liability on the rush vs fast teams.

He will often turn the puck over (by flipping it high in the air out of the zone) because he lacks the ability to escape the forecheck.

He can't really play on the PP anymore.

This isn't me being mean or me hating Chara, this is me telling you what I see from him on a daily basis, and I only seeing him slowing down a bit more every year (despite his phenomenal work ethic and conditioning).

Looking at the Pros and Cons, I think a case can definitely be made for bringing him back, at least for next year. I have a hard time making a case fo bringing him back at $6.5m per, especially if that extra $1.5m goes on the the 2019-20 cap.

I don't think he's worth that much money for what he gives you.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Ok, so now we can pretty much assume he will make at least $6.5m, unless the wheels come off, which I don't foresee.

I loved what Chara gave the B's in the past and I appreciate the Cup, whole nine yards.

I also realize that he's still a good defensive d-man, and very good on the PK because he doesn't have to move much. The other team wants to be in the B's end and he has less ground to cover.

I also realize that he has a TON of experience and can be a great mentor and calming influence on the young D.

That being said, I have some major issues with his puck possession, his puck handling abilities (under duress), and his lack of skating/speed.

He puts his D partners, and sometimes his F's in precarious positions because of where he gives them the puck.

He is a liability on the rush vs fast teams.

He will often turn the puck over (by flipping it high in the air out of the zone) because he lacks the ability to escape the forecheck.

He can't really play on the PP anymore.

This isn't me being mean or me hating Chara, this is me telling you what I see from him on a daily basis, and I only seeing him slowing down a bit more every year (despite his phenomenal work ethic and conditioning).

Looking at the Pros and Cons, I think a case can definitely be made for bringing him back, at least for next year. I have a hard time making a case fo bringing him back at $6.5m per, especially if that extra $1.5m goes on the the 2019-20 cap.

I don't think he's worth that much money for what he gives you.
we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see the problems you're seeing at all. Last year maybe, but this year he changed his conditioning routine, worked on his skating & totally changed his diet. I don't think he has been nearly as slow as you are saying & I also think you're overstating how bad he is with the puck. He has only 11 fewer ES points than Krug. I think he moves the puck just fine, but even so, with this group he doesn't need to as much anyway. Yes the older he gets the more one-dimensional he gets, but he's still elite at that one dimension and that perfectly complements the rest of this D group.

With that said, 6.5 is definitely higher than I had hoped (I was wishing for 4). Since it's only 1 year though I have zero problem with it and certainly would prefer this to seeing him retire (or worse, go to a team like Toronto).

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see the problems you're seeing at all. Last year maybe, but this year he changed his conditioning routine, worked on his skating & totally changed his diet. I don't think he has been nearly as slow as you are saying & I also think you're overstating how bad he is with the puck. He has only 11 fewer ES points than Krug. I think he moves the puck just fine, but even so, with this group he doesn't need to as much anyway. Yes the older he gets the more one-dimensional he gets, but he's still elite at that one dimension and that perfectly complements the rest of this D group.

With that said, 6.5 is definitely higher than I had hoped (I was wishing for 4). Since it's only 1 year though I have zero problem with it and certainly would prefer this to seeing him retire (or worse, go to a team like Toronto).

You know why he looks better this year?

It's spelled M-c-A-v-o-y

I'm not saying that CM doesn't benefit from aspects of Chara's game, but I think he benefits as much/more from having C-Mac as a D partner. When Chara has time to move, his hands are actually quite good, but this seems to disappear when you pressure him. His decision-making needs to be almost perfect because he doesn't have a lot of room for error, particularly with guys on the rush coming out of their own end. When he has to "turn and burn" he gets beat almost every time.

The flipping the puck out of his zone to nobody drives me f***ing insane.

I can live with the one year, but like you, I really hoped for less dollars.

Reactions: FanSince72

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Probably when the guy is an iconic face of the franchise

Was there a presser last time he signed an extension? or when Bergy signed an extension? I'm not trying to argue, I'm genuinely asking. I mean this isn't some earth shattering type extension. Rumors were they were working towards an extension and that something would probably get done.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Happy Z signed. He is way more effective than most people give him credit for.
I think he gets too much credit from some, and not enough from others. I am in the middle. I have seen a serious decline over the years, but his IQ, size and stick are still very very good. I like the one year deal. He could fall apart at any moment, was very glad it wasn't two years. As it is, their D core is already set for next year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Was there a presser last time he signed an extension? or when Bergy signed an extension? I'm not trying to argue, I'm genuinely asking. I mean this isn't some earth shattering type extension. Rumors were they were working towards an extension and that something would probably get done.
Yes there was back in 2010 I remember for Bergeron Chara or both

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
As far as i'm concerned, the captain should play for as long as he feels he's capable. But what do I know. I'm thrilled. I love big Z.

We get at least one more year to appreciate what he brings to this team. I don't think any of us should take that for granted. Bergeron will have that C sooner or later, but who knows when the Bruins will have another Zdeno Chara.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Why? What does Chara's extension have anything to do with McQuaid? They can afford both next year.

Onto Chara, this is excellent news. 1-year deal next year, and if he can still play and wants to play, keep going with 1-year deals (as long as they fit within the salary structure). I'm very happy with a 1-year deal.
Because I think McQ is a rapidly depreciating asset not worth the $2.875M we're paying him and that I'd rather see Lauzon and Zboril up to replace McQ and Holden.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Iggy bonuses moved to another year because we went over, iirc.

If cap is flat, which it won’t be, they’ll have 11m after the deal. Bonuses won’t be a problem to absorb next year. And that’s if the rags don’t buy out Beleskey, which could be a realistic option and would save Bruins more.

No issues w this.

Love the responses that are pure hyperbole.

I think where the issue might lie... if we were hoping to bring back rick or riley... if we were hoping to keep both miller and mcquaid... or if we had eyes on another prize

As long as we are happy with elc guys like donato, bjork, jfk in top 9 posotions then the cap is fine

Its really next year with mcavoy, donato, heinen, carlo hitting rfa that we might be forced to move someone.

If charas bonus bleeds into next year it could hurt

Reactions: Thrive

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
I think he gets too much credit from some, and not enough from others. I am in the middle. I have seen a serious decline over the years, but his IQ, size and stick are still very very good. I like the one year deal. He could fall apart at any moment, was very glad it wasn't two years. As it is, their D core is already set for next year.

I think this was a smart move with the one year deal as well

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
You know why he looks better this year?

It's spelled M-c-A-v-o-y

I'm not saying that CM doesn't benefit from aspects of Chara's game, but I think he benefits as much/more from having C-Mac as a D partner. When Chara has time to move, his hands are actually quite good, but this seems to disappear when you pressure him. His decision-making needs to be almost perfect because he doesn't have a lot of room for error, particularly with guys on the rush coming out of their own end. When he has to "turn and burn" he gets beat almost every time.

The flipping the puck out of his zone to nobody drives me ****ing insane.

I can live with the one year, but like you, I really hoped for less dollars.

You used the exact same words last year with Chara-Carlo. And if I recall, you said Chara benefited more from Carlo then Carlo did from Chara.

Chara allows McAvoy to do what he does because he can cover up for him. He allowed Carlo to at least try to play more offense because he could cover up for him.

The lack of Chara with Carlo doesn't allow Carlo to "take chances" anymore which is why his offense has regressed. That, and I don't think he's as smart a hockey player as many here give him credit for.

Carlo last year
McAvoy this year
Who will it be next year Joe?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
maybe they gave him a little too much $, but not a big deal at all IMO. especially next year, when the cap
isn't an issue. 1 year from now, we have no idea where his game will be and what he may be asking for. right now, he's still pretty damned
good at defending. sure there's drop-off in his game - the guy is 41. but for everything he does and everything
he is, all good by me. great mentor for these kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad