Confirmed with Link: Chara signs 1 year $5m deal

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I think this is great. I want him to finish his career in Boston. I get what GD said about letting the kids play. But GD, you can't really say anything bad about the direction of the club from the GM's chair. So I think I'll trust that this will work out.

He's heart and soul Bruins. Love Z. Would love to meet him someday.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Nothing surprising here. people hoping for sub 5m were dreaming for reasons we stated in the other thread.

Curious if they gave him the NMC I figure they did.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
but it's not nearly 7 if his age finally catches up with him. the bonuses will only kick in if he's still an effective player. look at any D who gives you what Chara gives you (if there are any) and they are absolutely worth 5+. and it's 1 year so it's only a problem if it forces you to lose someone next year (it won't)
To be fair, no one knows what the language is in respect to his bonuses.
And does it force the loss of a player? Probably not. Does it prevent an addition? We don't really know that either.

I'm not saying the signing sucks. It's good. I'm happy he's back. That's just despite the money rather than because of it... Or feeling neutral about it.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
but it's not nearly 7 if his age finally catches up with him. the bonuses will only kick in if he's still an effective player. look at any D who gives you what Chara gives you (if there are any) and they are absolutely worth 5+. and it's 1 year so it's only a problem if it forces you to lose someone next year (it won't)

We don't know what the bonuses are yet, do we?

Could be $1.75m for playing 75 games? Doesn't necessarily mean he will have to play well.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Tied for 44th in NHL for cap hit on D. I can't think of 43 guys in todays game i would take in front of Z. If he earns the bonuses then that means he is still on his game and worth the extra money so I am good.

The base puts him at 44.

If he gets the $6.75m, it puts him at 13, tied with Giordano.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Here's exactly what happened.

Chara is nursing an injury that needs rehab and could be worsened. He said that he wanted a contract for next year if he was going to play through the injury and risk making it worse.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
Great work again by Don Sweeney.

Hopefully at today's Press Conference we hear that Big Z is fully recovered from his recent injury and ready for a long play-off run.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
The base puts him at 44.

If he gets the $6.75m, it puts him at 13, tied with Giordano.

are you sure everyone over him in that list has no bonuses. I couldn't find one with bonuses included so did it on base only.

also as I said if he gets the bonuses that means his game probably hasn't fallen off so I am good with the extra money.

Reactions: Thrive

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I have seen a couple of these posts, but when you actually look at it, not so sure?

Excluding Chara, the B's have the following coming back next year:

Krug LD
Grizz LD

McAvoy RD
Carlo RD
McQ RD
Miller RD

The more I think about it, the more I would have preferred bringing up Zboril/Lauzon next season for a crack at the 3rd pair with one of McQ or Miller. Before watching Grizz this year, I never would have dreamed he could play Top 4, but now I think he may be able to.

Keeping Chara for another year at $5m (and potentially $6.75m) means that you are not keeping one of McQuaid or Miller, and it also means that unless Grizz takes a huge step back, there are no spots for the young PRO D to compete for. Of course, there are always player's injured, but I wonder if cutting the cord would have been the best move?

That's the other side of the stick yeah but i meant more like a mentor to the kids.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Not sure how people can not like this deal.

A one year deal for a guy who is a at worst a high end #2, and is still playing like a #1, for 5 million + incentives? How is that something to complain about? That's a graet value.

Even if you want to see what they have in Zboril, Lauzon, etc., they aren't coming in and playing top pair minutes next year.

I'd understand the backlash if this was a 2-3 year deal, but seemingly goign year to year ala Tim Wakefield, is fine with me.

Great signing.

Reactions: Thrive and DKH

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
are you sure everyone over him in that list has no bonuses. I couldn't find one with bonuses included so did it on base only.

also as I said if he gets the bonuses that means his game probably hasn't fallen off so I am good with the extra money.

Have no idea, would have to look at the players individually.

As I said before, the "incentives" could be games/minutes played. May not be performance based, just showing up.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
good deal, ecstatic they got him signed on for next year. Selfish/Frugal and cheap side of me wanted it to be for 4 mill but that wasn`t going to happen. This guy NEEDS to retire a Bruin and I`ve seen no signs of anyone yet within this organization who are without a doubt, 100% ready to push him down the depth chart yet, this will be CM`s D to lead at some point in the near future but it`s still Z`s for now

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Have no idea, would have to look at the players individually.

As I said before, the "incentives" could be games/minutes played. May not be performance based, just showing up.

so you can't move him up to 13th then on that list. that list is base alone which puts him at 44th. once we know what it takes to earn the bonuses and what everyone else has for bonuses you can make a new list but based on the current info there are 43 D making more then him. I am good with Z at that rate. have to compare apples to apples and this is all we have right now that I am aware of.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
chara signs 5mill 1year contract

Bruins Sign Zdeno Chara To One-Year Contract Extension

BOSTON - Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney announced today, ‪March 28, that the team has signed defenseman Zdeno Chara to a one-year contract extension through the 2018-19 season worth $5 million, plus an additional $1.75 million in performance-based incentives.

Both Sweeney and Chara will hold a press conference in Legends at TD Garden today at 4:30 p.m. Media interested in attending should enter through the back security entrance and proceed to Level 3.

hes probably worth it... but cant really call this a hometown discount like I was hoping. sort of limits the other potential moves we might have been looking at. I think it becomes important we move 1 of miller/mcquaid now as we wont be able to afford a 2.5 mill 7th dman

overall... I'm happy to see our captain and best dman coming back, but wish it was closer to the 4 mill number we were paying this year

Reactions: Sevendust

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Not sure how people can not like this deal.

A one year deal for a guy who is a at worst a high end #2, and is still playing like a #1, for 5 million + incentives? How is that something to complain about? That's a graet value.

Even if you want to see what they have in Zboril, Lauzon, etc., they aren't coming in and playing top pair minutes next year.

I'd understand the backlash if this was a 2-3 year deal, but seemingly goign year to year ala Tim Wakefield, is fine with me.

Great signing.

Dom explained earlier why it was a 1 year deal, something to do with an over 35 contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->