Confirmed with Link: Chara signs 1 year $5m deal

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Because I think McQ is a rapidly depreciating asset not worth the $2.875M we're paying him and that I'd rather see Lauzon and Zboril up to replace McQ and Holden.

Well we don't even know if either are even ready for the NHL, and neither are going to be in Boston next year as the 7th and 8th D-men the way it projects that the entire Top 6 will now be back next year. Then factor in both are left-shot guys (it matters). If there are injuries on the left-side (and there will be), they'll get a chance then to show what they can do, same as Gryz did this year.

McQuaid is a "rapidly depreciating asset"? On the vast majority of NHL teams, he's an everyday player. Just so happens he plays on a team with a lot of good D-men who also play the right side. His best NHL season was last year, he's been solid this year. He's not exactly old, and he's improved both his skating and puck-movement to be able to compete in this very fast NHL.

Not worth the 2.875? Maybe for his role I would agree. But unless they have a purpose for that cap space next year (he's a UFA the following summer when they will need his cap space), what difference does it make? Unused cap space doesn't help win hockey games. Bruins also have essentially no depth in the system in right-shot D-men, unless you want another "Postma-level" guy in that spot.

Bruins project to be a contending team again next year. Trade McQuaid in the off-season, get a middling-level asset (i.e. draft pick), then to have just go out and get another "McQuaid" at the deadline using another middling-level asset makes no sense. That's not "asset management", it's mismanagement, Bruins gain nothing at the end of the day really, and lose the services of the player for 3/4 of the season until they trade for his replacement at the deadline., when they could of used him.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Good deal good to know hes back next year. Nice move and timing to get him signed for 1 year. I think his agent would have heard murmurs of multi year offers in the summer if he had a good playoffs and we have to give him this x2 years to keep him from looking around July 1. I honestly think someone gives him 3 years around this cap hit on the open market.

But after next season he's going to have to take a team friendly deal or walk. Can't be losing young talent like McAvoy because Chara has a 6-7 mil cap hit.

Regardless its a good deal for everyone I just hope Big Z hooks us up after next season if he wants to stick around.

Reactions: HustleB

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Tremendous job by Sweeney and Z! Z deserves to make what he is worth. He is still a very valuable piece of the puzzle. I was hoping this type of signing would take place, but was afraid Z would want multiple years on the deal. I predicted he would get between $5-6 mil, and that is pretty much what he will be paid. It's awesome that it is only for one year because that minimizes the risk of getting messed over on cap in case Z gets hurt and/or his play declines dramatically (which I don't think it will, but you never know at Z's age). Props to Z for recognizing the Bs situation and agreeing to sign on a year-by-year basis, and props to DS for paying the man what he's worth and keeping him a part of this club. Very happy with this signing since it makes total sense and is fair for all involved.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You used the exact same words last year with Chara-Carlo. And if I recall, you said Chara benefited more from Carlo then Carlo did from Chara.

Chara allows McAvoy to do what he does because he can cover up for him. He allowed Carlo to at least try to play more offense because he could cover up for him.

The lack of Chara with Carlo doesn't allow Carlo to "take chances" anymore which is why his offense has regressed. That, and I don't think he's as smart a hockey player as many here give him credit for.

Carlo last year
McAvoy this year
Who will it be next year Joe?

Carlo and McAvoy are both excellent skaters, which benefits Chara greatly. When he plays with slower partners (Miller/McQ), he’s not nearly as effective. Carlo has regressed slightly after his tremendous start last year, but people saw that with him after the first 40 games, when Chara was still his parter. That’s more about Carlo than Chara.

As far as Carlo goes, of course his offense is going to regress when his partner is Krug vs Chara. They are apples and oranges. With the much more defensively oriented Chara as his partner, Carlo would take more risks. With Krug as his partner, Carlo is the more defensive one in the pair. Krug nearly always is the one rushing or transitioning the puck. I’m not sure if you get to watch the Bruins nightly, but with McAcoy, Chara and Krug out recently, Carlo took more of an offensive role and jumped into the play far more often than he does when Krug is his partner.

I’m not saying Chara is a stiff. Defensively, he’s still one of the best D in the league, but I don’t think he’s a 3 zone D anymore and I don’t think he’s worth $6.5m per. I also don’t expect everyone to agree with me, everyone is welcome to their opinion on Chara.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Well we don't even know if either are even ready for the NHL, and neither are going to be in Boston next year as the 7th and 8th D-men the way it projects that the entire Top 6 will now be back next year. Then factor in both are left-shot guys (it matters). If there are injuries on the left-side (and there will be), they'll get a chance then to show what they can do, same as Gryz did this year.

McQuaid is a "rapidly depreciating asset"? On the vast majority of NHL teams, he's an everyday player. Just so happens he plays on a team with a lot of good D-men who also play the right side. His best NHL season was last year, he's been solid this year. He's not exactly old, and he's improved both his skating and puck-movement to be able to compete in this very fast NHL.

Not worth the 2.875? Maybe for his role I would agree. But unless they have a purpose for that cap space next year (he's a UFA the following summer when they will need his cap space), what difference does it make? Unused cap space doesn't help win hockey games. Bruins also have essentially no depth in the system in right-shot D-men, unless you want another "Postma-level" guy in that spot.

Bruins project to be a contending team again next year. Trade McQuaid in the off-season, get a middling-level asset (i.e. draft pick), then to have just go out and get another "McQuaid" at the deadline using another middling-level asset makes no sense. That's not "asset management", it's mismanagement, Bruins gain nothing at the end of the day really, and lose the services of the player for 3/4 of the season until they trade for his replacement at the deadline., when they could of used him.
Let's play a little drinking game this playoff series. We each down a shot of whiskey every time McQ takes a dumb penalty and/or becomes injured blocking a shot or misdelivering a hit. Guys like him lose series' for teams. If I'm wrong, we'll be sober and happy. If I'm right, we'll be drunk and miserable. I used to like McQ quite a bit, but I view him as a player of yesterday. Maybe Luzon and Zboril aren't ready. But, maybe they, like Gryz, will surprise. Gryz is now arguably in our top 4 dmen. Not a capologist, but don't we always need $$$? I'm assuming Rick Nash is gone (mostly because, he's not even really HERE yet...) and don't we need to re-sign Gryz, Schaller and Kuraly?

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Everything IS about them.

Most insufferable bunch on hfboards. If, God forbid, they win a playoffs series (much, much worse if vs the Bruins), this is what hfboards will look like for the next year...

A9A540C9-940D-40EB-869C-9FE622C43438.gif

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Let's play a little drinking game this playoff series. We each down a shot of whiskey every time McQ takes a dumb penalty and/or becomes injured blocking a shot or misdelivering a hit. Guys like him lose series' for teams. If I'm wrong, we'll be sober and happy. If I'm right, we'll be drunk and miserable. I used to like McQ quite a bit, but I view him as a player of yesterday. Maybe Luzon and Zboril aren't ready. But, maybe they, like Gryz, will surprise. Gryz is now arguably in our top 4 dmen. Not a capologist, but don't we always need $$$? I'm assuming Rick Nash is gone (mostly because, he's not even really HERE yet...) and don't we need to re-sign Gryz, Schaller and Kuraly?

We differ on opinions of McQuaid, and that's fine. I don't think your giving him enough credit for his improvements in his two areas of weakness, skating and passing/puck movement to be able to be an effective D-man in today's faster NHL.

Cap-wise, Bruins should be able to afford McQuaid next year and re-sign the guys they need to re-sign.

If one of Lauzon or Zboril get called up due to an injury and show they belong in the show (like Gryz did), maybe you cross that bridge with McQuaid then. I wouldn't do it in the off-season with the assumption either of them are ready to play everyday in the Top 6. Neither will be in the pressbox, they will be playing everyday, either Boston or Providence.

Bruins entire Top 7 D-men are returning most likely, with a wealth of left-shot prospects in Providence with some pro experience. Bruins can essentially put there feet up in terms of their D-corps for next year and be just fine.

Move McQuaid out now and I think they will need to bring in at least one veteran guy. Why bother, especially if he's a downgrade from McQuaid.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
We differ on opinions of McQuaid, and that's fine. I don't think your giving him enough credit for his improvements in his two areas of weakness, skating and passing/puck movement to be able to be an effective D-man in today's faster NHL.

Cap-wise, Bruins should be able to afford McQuaid next year and re-sign the guys they need to re-sign.

If one of Lauzon or Zboril get called up due to an injury and show they belong in the show (like Gryz did), maybe you cross that bridge with McQuaid then. I wouldn't do it in the off-season with the assumption either of them are ready to play everyday in the Top 6. Neither will be in the pressbox, they will be playing everyday, either Boston or Providence.

Bruins entire Top 7 D-men are returning most likely, with a wealth of left-shot prospects in Providence with some pro experience. Bruins can essentially put there feet up in terms of their D-corps for next year and be just fine.

Move McQuaid out now and I think they will need to bring in at least one veteran guy. Why bother, especially if he's a downgrade from McQuaid.
I would be really surprised if McQuaid doesn't ask for a trade in the offseason. If I was him I would for sure and I imagine Sweeney would honor the request. He would do much better on his next contract if he can play regular minutes and not end up as a 7th D and I imagine he knows this.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I would be really surprised if McQuaid doesn't ask for a trade in the offseason. If I was him I would for sure and I imagine Sweeney would honor the request. He would do much better on his next contract if he can play regular minutes and not end up as a 7th D and I imagine he knows this.

It's a possibility for sure. But if his main desire is to play the final year of his contract in Boston, I would keep him.

Reactions: Tampbear

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
At 41, Zdeno Chara is more motivated than ever - The Boston Globe

On Thursday at Warrior Ice Arena, Zdeno Chara had not received clearance to play against Tampa Bay. The boss did not care.

When the Bruins regulars took their initial reps during line rushes at the morning skate, Chara threw himself into the rotation alongside Nick Holden on the No. 1 defense pair.

Chara’s insistence on manning his usual spot loosened the tongues of his younger teammates

“He’s always in the weight room, he’s always itching to be on the ice,” said Matt Grzelcyk. “Guys were giving him some grief today because he wanted to go first in the reps even though he’s not playing tonight.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

If we want to re sign Nash I think McQuaid needs to go. If Nash isn't re signed and we go into next season hoping more young guys take the next step then McQuaid could probably fit into the cap structure.

Personally, when the season is over I think McQuaid is moved out west. Its at the point where the top six is set with Chara/McAvoy, Krug/Carlo and Gryz/K Miller and we can easily sign two more Potsmas for nothing for depth. Not to mention Zboril/Lauzon should be ready to at least provide quality NHL depth.

This might be obvious, but if McQuaid wants/needs to be moved there is absolutely a market for a bottom pairing D man like him on a one year deal.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
If we want to re sign Nash I think McQuaid needs to go. If Nash isn't re signed and we go into next season hoping more young guys take the next step then McQuaid could probably fit into the cap structure.

Personally, when the season is over I think McQuaid is moved out west. Its at the point where the top six is set with Chara/McAvoy, Krug/Carlo and Gryz/K Miller and we can easily sign two more Potsmas for nothing for depth. Not to mention Zboril/Lauzon should be ready to at least provide quality NHL depth.

This might be obvious, but if McQuaid wants/needs to be moved there is absolutely a market for a bottom pairing D man like him on a one year deal.
Yeah, I mean, it's not a slam dunk easy call for sure. Last night pretty well illustrated the conundrum. Absolutely loved his snarl and toughness, willingness to step in when things got chippy. Had an immediate chilling effect on any TBL player looking to cause trouble. On the other hand, he was behind the play and got beat on the first goal and would've been the same on the goal that they called back b/c the player was in the crease. McQ's got some good attributes, but he's got some weaker ones, too. I won't be crushed if they hold onto him, but since we have a relative embarrassment of riches on D, he's an asset who would bring us back some potential assets we could use to acquire Offensive assets, and/or pay for those we currently have under contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad