Confirmed with Link: Chara signs 1 year $5m deal

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Dom explained earlier why it was a 1 year deal, something to do with an over 35 contract.
I understand why it's a 1 year, what I meant was I could understand why people would be apathetic/down on this deal if it was 2/3 years at 6+ given his age.

1 year @5 + incentives is a-okay with me.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
hes probably worth it... but cant really call this a hometown discount like I was hoping. sort of limits the other potential moves we might have been looking at. I think it becomes important we move 1 of miller/mcquaid now as we wont be able to afford a 2.5 mill 7th dman

overall... I'm happy to see our captain and best dman coming back, but wish it was closer to the 4 mill number we were paying this year

Didn’t think he’d take a discount. He is notoriously careful with money.

I’ve heard writers say that he has this reputation around his teammates. The guys on big contracts will pay for everyone’s dinner and things like that sometimes. One of his former teammates said Z never did that and said something like: “He has a padlock on his wallet...”.

He got full compensation for his value and good on him. No reason for him to take a discount.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I’ve heard writers say that he has this reputation around his teammates. The guys on big contracts will pay for everyone’s dinner and things like that sometimes. One of his former teammates said Z never did that and said something like: “He has a padlock on his wallet...”.

He got full compensation for his value and good on him. No reason for him to take a discount.

Personally, I don't think he's worth $6.75m any more. Maybe he should start picking up some tabs for the younger guys because I think they will be carrying him on the ice next year :laugh:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

If that's true then I guess he won't be buying all of his teammates presents like Bergeron did. :laugh: What a lousy captain. :sarcasm:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Personally, I don't think he's worth $6.75m any more. Maybe he should start picking up some tabs for the younger guys because I think they will be carrying him on the ice next year :laugh:
when they learn how to kill penalties so he doesn't have to play over 3 & a half minutes a night on the PK then maybe he'll start picking up their tabs

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Awesome! The Bruins will have much more cap space to play around with next year than the year after - with many important RFAs to be signed before the 2019-2020 season - so the true “hometown discount” will likely be signed in the 2018-2019 season and will be appliacable for the 2019-2020 season.

I’m sure Sweeney and Chara discussed many different contract options and in doing so discussed the framework of the future deals that we all know he will sign - that is where I believe the “hometown discount” contract is going to be.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
when they learn how to kill penalties so he doesn't have to play over 3 & a half minutes a night on the PK then maybe he'll start picking up their tabs

Pretty sure that McAvoy was out of that game and one of the other PK Dmen was in the penalty box at the time.

I'm glad that he can still do one thing (PK) to earn almost $7m per.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
Great news! He’s been terrific this season and I’d imagine both he and the team wants to go year-by-year from now on.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Z among D in the NHL is:
#3 +/-
#36 Time on Ice
#32 Time on Ice even strength
#2 Time on Ice Short Handed (on the 5th best PK team in the NHL)
#35 in the NHL for hits

and going to get a base salary of 44th as it stands now not including what others will sign for this offseason.

sounds about right too me if anything he is giving more than a lot of guys with bigger cap hits.

Reactions: Thrive

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Pretty sure that McAvoy was out of that game and one of the other PK Dmen was in the penalty box at the time.

I'm glad that he can still do one thing (PK) to earn almost $7m per.
what game? I'm not talking about a single game. He averages 3:41 per night on the PK (2nd in the league). And get out of here with that "he only does one thing" BS. You're better than that & know that's not true. That's just one reason he's still extremely valuable. He also leads the team in TOI overall, is on a 27 point pace with no PP time any more, and is the best mentor for young D you could ask for.

and if I can't ignore the bonuses until we know what they are then you can't assume he hits them either.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I have seen a couple of these posts, but when you actually look at it, not so sure?

Excluding Chara, the B's have the following coming back next year:

Krug LD
Grizz LD

McAvoy RD
Carlo RD
McQ RD
Miller RD

The more I think about it, the more I would have preferred bringing up Zboril/Lauzon next season for a crack at the 3rd pair with one of McQ or Miller. Before watching Grizz this year, I never would have dreamed he could play Top 4, but now I think he may be able to.

Keeping Chara for another year at $5m (and potentially $6.75m) means that you are not keeping one of McQuaid or Miller, and it also means that unless Grizz takes a huge step back, there are no spots for the young PRO D to compete for. Of course, there are always player's injured, but I wonder if cutting the cord would have been the best move?
Not huge on keeping Chara; it's fine for one year, I guess. But, McQ is the weakest of that bunch, including Z and he should be dealt.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Z among D in the NHL is:
#3 +/-
#36 Time on Ice
#32 Time on Ice even strength
#2 Time on Ice Short Handed (on the 5th best PK team in the NHL)
#35 in the NHL for hits

and going to get a base salary of 44th as it stands now not including what others will sign for this offseason.

sounds about right too me if anything he is giving more than a lot of guys with bigger cap hits.
He is also 45th among Dmen in even strength points. So even the point production is right on par with the cap hit.

Reactions: Scotto74

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
what game? I'm not talking about a single game. He averages 3:41 per night on the PK (2nd in the league). And get out of here with that "he only does one thing" BS. You're better than that & know that's not true. That's just one reason he's still extremely valuable. He also leads the team in TOI overall, is on a 27 point pace with no PP time any more, and is the best mentor for young D you could ask for.

and if I can't ignore the bonuses until we know what they are then you can't assume he hits them either.

I thought you were talking about that shift where he played 3 minutes on the PK in a row.

I'm just not a fan of his game at this stage of his career. Defensively, he's still above average in certain situations, but he can't handle the puck any more and he's slower than molasses on a cold winter day. I think his young D partners the last two years have covered up some of the warts.

This is nothing new. I have felt this way for a few years now and was kind of hoping he would retire.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe its just me looking for something, but the B's announced they'd hold a press conference at 4:30 to react to Z's contract extension and my first reaction was "how often does a team hold presser to talk about an extension?"
Probably when the guy is an iconic face of the franchise

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
So, $6.5m at the minimum.

It is rather a lot. Perhaps they have a gentleman's agreement to overpay him in 18-19, with the intention of underpaying him in 19-20 when the kids have to be paid. I don't know how closely this would be to cap circumvention territory though - a 40+ player getting less money seems like it would be easy enough to explain.

Reactions: Thrive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad