Confirmed with Link: Chara signs 1 year $5m deal

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
He probably is getting 6M+, that's what the incentives probably are. Games played bonus, etc. which is fine by me.

Among Bruins defensemen all time, he's 3rd in games played, third in goals, 4th in assists (3 back of Park), 3rd in points, 6th in +/-, 4th in GWG, it's been an absolute pleasure watching him for the past decade.

Whoops. Didn't see those details initially. Still a good deal.

$6.5 is about where I had him pegged. Curious what the incentives/bonuses are and if they are actually difficult to reach. Ideally they are protecting against a sudden decline.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Perfect way to end his career as a Bruin

Would be cool to see him reach 1500 games

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Yeah. Although nearly two you can carry until the year after.

Love having Chara here. But I'll be the bad guy and say that not a fan of the money.
2nd in the NHL in SH TOI/G, still leads the team in TOI overall, still puts up decent points for a shutdown guy, still drives possession and brings about a million intangibles.

If you ignore his age & just look at his performance he's totally worth the money.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I like that he's back, but i was hoping somewhere around the 3-4 million range.

Prob would have been if it were a 2 year deal (4million per year)

Sweeney is likely happier this way. Chara needs to be forced to retire or else he might Jagr it

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
If the cap is going to 80 million, this leaves around 15 million dollars of cap space (depending on how much performance bonus penalties Sweeney is willing to take for 19/20) and 17 signed roster players for next season. Backup goalie, few bottom-6 guys and Grzelcyk are must signs. Then there's the question of what to do with Nashes. Sweeney will have pretty good cap flexibility to do what he wants for next season.

Reactions: Thrive

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Nice job Z -- Nice job Sweeney.

Take 'em one year at a time -- I think it's smart and fair.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->