Champions Hockey League Gameday Discussion 2019/2020

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
right now it looks like all swedish teams will advance. 5 teams of 16 in qf might be from sweden. pure domination.

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016
M It seems that only a one Liiga team could reach the K.O.-Stage. Tappara!
If the CHL sticks to their league ranking criteria, Finland will only have 3 teams in the CHL next season, not 4. They've fallen behind Germany and Czech Rep

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
If the CHL sticks to their league ranking criteria, Finland will only have 3 teams in the CHL next season, not 4. They've fallen behind Germany and Czech Rep
Yes my prediction for future(Depends from CHL results). 1. SHL 2. NLA 3. DEL 4. Extraliga 5. Liiga 6. EBEL(very close to Liiga).

Last edited:
Reactions: AB13

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Not really surprising, is it?

Same with Finland losing spots although that's pretty circumstantial.

why would it not be? look at the amount of swedish players in nhl, ahl, nla, khl.

shl is weaker than ever and yet its by a landmile the third best league in the world.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
In Sweden, Forland Indians were amused by the fact the Cardif Devil fans cleaned up after themselves in the stands and stayed until they flickered the lights to tell them to leave

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
why would it not be? look at the amount of swedish players in nhl, ahl, nla, khl.
There is roughly the same number of Finns in KHL/NLA/AHL and they have half the Sweden's population so you just countered your own argument. Finland has 2 teams that can hang with the best of them in Europe and that's about it.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
There is roughly the same number of Finns in KHL/NLA/AHL and they have half the Sweden's population so you just countered your own argument. Finland has 2 teams that can hang with the best of them in Europe and that's about it.

finland have more active players than sweden. hockey is the nr1 sport in finland. in sweden its 2 or 3rd biggest sport.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
finland have more active players than sweden. hockey is the nr1 sport in finland. in sweden its 2 or 3rd biggest sport.
Yes, that's why Finland is legitimately overtaking Sweden at NT level. However, Finland doesn't have nor population, nor markets (decent-sized cities) for a strong local league. Hence SHL was always stronger than Liiga and will continue to be such. Hard to see what are you trying to spin here.

Yes my prediction for future. 1. SHL 2. NLA 3. DEL 4. Extraliga 5. Liiga 6. EBEL(very close to Liiga).

This could only become the case when Czechs and Germans cut the gap between local development in those countries compared to Finland significantly.

Last edited:

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Liiga's not falling behind Extraliiga, not with the tv contract and player development we have.
This is not a common Ranking! Only by means of results in CHL and 3 Year Ranking(My Prediction).

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Yes, that's why Finland is legitimately overtaking Sweden at NT level. However, Finland doesn't have nor population, nor markets (decent-sized cities) for a strong local league. Hence SHL was always stronger than Liiga and will continue to be such. Hard to see what are you trying to spin here.

This could only become the case when Czechs and Germans cut the gap between local development in those countries compared to Finland significantly.
This is right of course! This ranking take reffering to only the results in CHL. This is not a whole judge about a league. The local develompment and youth education is the finnish league hockey in an other world(world class) than Germany, Czech and Swiss(average till below average class). And no worse than sweden.

Last edited:

su24

Sep 30, 2017
So, all Belarusian teams have advanced to the playoffs. Can we get a spot for a 2nd team next year?

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
So, all Belarusian teams have advanced to the playoffs. Can we get a spot for a 2nd team next year?

I believe it's a possibility on two options:

* Belarussian club (Neman Grodno) wins Continental Cup
* A team that wins Continental Cup also wins national title in which case best challenger league gets extra spot (at least this possibility was on some years ago, and Slovakia would have got that back then)

The latter refers only to countries which are represented in CHL, so options for double:
SonderjyskE (Denmark)
Amiens (France)
Nottingham Panthers (UK)
Cracovia (Poland)

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
LOL Djurgården just scored while having a delayed penalty coming their way. They credited the goalie with the goal

Last edited:
Reactions: Slimmy

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Martschini fined 600 euros for kicking. A joke of decision, should have been CHL season over for him.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The size is of a fine is laughable, to begin with. They probably want to be consistent with their decisions, if they were to slap that kind of fine on Yunost player that's half of his monthly salary... But to Martschini, that's how much he makes in half an hour.

Also nice to know kicking someone in the face is carelessness. Can't wait to kick someone in the face and apologize for my clumsiness afterwards.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
One game to play tomorrow (Munich v Yunost), otherwise the round of 16 is over.

Round of 8 looks like this:

Djurgarden v Munich/Yunost
Zug v Mountfield
Biel v Frolunda
Lulea v Lausanne

No Finnish teams make it to the quarter finals. 3 Swedish teams, 3 Swiss, 1 Czech, and either a German or Belorussian club carry on.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I wouldn't say there have been a lot of surprises but I must say German teams did slightly better than I expected. Both Augsburg and Mannheim only missed the next round by 1 goal against rather formidable opponents and Munchen will be in the quarters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad