Champions Hockey League Gameday Discussion 2019/2020

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You can say it needs time. Yes, agree, but it needs some other things like clubs´ & fans interest, financial reward, diplomacy, the best players (so not playing your 2nd/3rd squad comparing to domestic league & the best teams & leagues. The current CHL has nothing of that. Sadly.
I find this extremely ironic coming from the KHL fanboy whose go-to argument was "KHL needs time, look at the NHL, it wasn't built in 2 years either". So the KHL only needs time and they can do it but CHL needs time but still can't do it? :laugh:

Not even saying you are right or wrong, it's just really funny the same person has the exact opposite opinion on what is 2 cases of the basically same issue.

Last edited:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I can't illustrate it any better than the medals table. CHL results prove that the Swedes and Czechs have the best 2 leagues in Europe. One of those is not like the others. In fact, if the president of the Czech federation is showing these same stats to 'prove' the Extraliga is doing great, then he should be fired.
I never claimed that the CHL results prove that Extraliga is the second best league. But it certainly shows that the Czech league is competitive. Why I don't make that claim is because I do not believe that the Czech teams results put them clearly above Liiga, for instance. It's debatable much more so than the nr 1 spot.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
So the counter to this point is the medal table that I linked above. Using your argument that the CHL proves this about the SEL... then it also proves this about the Extraliga because they are, by and far, the 2nd most successful nation in the last 4 years.

Absolutely no one believes that the Extraliga has financial stability, roster continuity, talent, depth and are run with a great hockey youth ecosystem.

SEL absolutely does and that is a fact with or without the CHL. I hope it's clear that I think the SEL is amazing... the CHL is not. It's not an indicator of anything. I've already said there are lots of ways to prove the SEL is the second best league in Europe with all the things you said above. However, I don't know a single person that is arguing that the SEL is the 3rd best or 4th best league in Europe.

Also, that table shows the average attendance is around 3500... that is low!
I never claimed that it proved any of that. I merely said that it is a good indication in the SHL's case. It's not the only indicator but it is still a reasonably reliable one judging by the leagues dominance in the tournament.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Isn't that match in 2 hours? Not one post?

Well, I'll be watching it on a delay.

It means nothing but anytime a Czech team can play for a Championship I will tune in! Mazanec could be a big difference maker for the Czech side as he's seen it all and seems to do well. Rucizka seems to be good at Gold Medal games.

Obviously, the Swede's are better... far superior league and better players. We are the underdogs and if this were a best of 7 we'd lose it everytime. But, we have a puncher's chance and I'll cheer to the end!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Just read a Czech article on it... focus was on Mazanec... the game is completely sold out! That's good.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Not really much to say... It would be weird if even the final wasn't sold out, it's one game that actually does matter.

Regarding Mazanec, I think it's just that you have to write up someone. As the highest-profile player on the team he is a natural choice but really, I don't think he will be much of a factor.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Congrats Frolunda.

Love from Canada.

Clearly the SHL is the class of Europe minus Russia as Russia is sans from European competition, therefore KHL Superpowers exempt.

Big win for Frolunda nonetheless.

Reactions: Slimmy

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Watching the game now as I'm abroad with timezone difference and all that. What was said before and after the game in Czech Rep? How's the talk been?

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Seems like no one mentioned it, the CHL decided to put their sponsor Skoda vehicle in front of the away section

And they refused to move it despite it clearly blocking the view :laugh:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-5_11-42-54.png
    upload_2020-2-5_11-42-54.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 2

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
The thing with swedes are they are the best but lacking money in their league abd still rule europe like always. Even the kingdom 17th century. They built a submarine for scrap money and sneak up and sank US navy big modern ships.

In CHL they rule. especially Frolunda. Any thoughts about how they do it? SHL salaries are way lower than Seiss KHL and many more so they should be beatrn sometimes right?
I know we canadia s are students of Swedish hockey program as are US and Seiss Finns but whats their secret?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Even the kingdom 17th century. They built a submarine for scrap money and sneak up and sank US navy big modern ships.
Yeah they also built a flagship which sank 15 minutes into maiden voyage so not sure what's the point of this brief historic glorification and how it relates to 21st century hockey.

SHL is the richest league in Europe, that's why they dominate. It's that simple. Their salary budget is pretty much alike to the middle of the pack KHL team.

Reactions: Exarz

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah they also built a flagship which sank 15 minutes into maiden voyage so not sure what's the point of this brief historic glorification and how it relates to 21st century hockey.

SHL is the richest league in Europe, that's why they dominate. It's that simple. Their salary budget is pretty much alike to the middle of the pack KHL team.
I would not say the SHL is over NL, especially if we look at taxes. Just looking there are 17 Swedes in NL, the biggest foreign contingent if not counting Canadians.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I would not say the SHL is over NL, especially if we look at taxes. Just looking there are 17 Swedes in NL, the biggest foreign contingent if not counting Canadians.
Yes NLA has budgets just as big, if not bigger, but they are also forced to spend that money on mediocre Swiss players due to the import limit and small player base. That's why there is literally not one Swiss player playing elsewhere in Europe because they have a very tilted market there. NLA 3rd liner is being paid close to double of what the player of a similar level would be paid elsewhere.

Same applies in NLB, the level of imports is superb there but it doesn't mean the league is that good..

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Yes NLA has budgets just as big, if not bigger, but they are also forced to spend that money on mediocre Swiss players due to the import limit and small player base. That's why there is literally not one Swiss player playing elsewhere in Europe because they have a very tilted market there. NLA 3rd liner is being paid close to double of what the player of a similar level would be paid elsewhere.

Same applies in NLB, the level of imports is superb there but it doesn't mean the league is that good..
That is not what I asked for.

You said: SHL is the richest league in Europe, that's why they dominate.

As I understand your words? You omitted the KHL, that is just fine. So, the SHL is the richest league outside the KHL in Europe. Got it. That means, they have bigger budgets/paychecks than NL.

You later said: Yes NLA has budgets just as big, if not bigger (than SHL - adding)

So, you claim the SHL is not richer than NL, so contradicting your initial words.

But yeah, the depth might be better in SHL. They just produce better domestic players, who might be cheaper than local Swiss. But still, very good Swedes leaving SHL to join NL. Why? I guess bigger paychecks.

And while being at CHL forum. I do not believe the Swiss clubs care so much about the competition.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
That is not what I asked for.
My first sentence admits technically you are correct and NLA might indeed be the richest league :facepalm: Having said that, technically doesn't mean much as there are obvious limiting factors to what that wealth can bring, as I've explained. You wrote a bloated post paraphrasing what I've just said, good job.

I think it was obvious we aren't talking about KHL as it doesn't participate in CHL and doesn't belong to the conversation.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
My first sentence admits technically you are correct and NLA might indeed be the richest league :facepalm: Having said that, technically doesn't mean much as there are obvious limiting factors to what that wealth can bring, as I've explained. You wrote a bloated post paraphrasing what I've just said, good job.

I think it was obvious we aren't talking about KHL as it doesn't participate in CHL and doesn't belong to the conversation.
That is just fine. I was just surprised by your confidence with SHL being the richest league.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
SHL is the richest because of their tv contract. Far bigger than KHL's. Plus they have the best developmental system in Europe which means they don't have to fill the rosters with foreign players.

Reactions: Exarz and KTl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad