Champions Hockey League Gameday Discussion 2019/2020

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I noticed that usual suspects have highjacked the other CHL thread, and are using it whine, snivel and complain about the CHL, instead of just enjoying the games and commenting on what they are watching or have seen. So I have created this thread for people that enjoy watching and commenting on the games and not incessantly whining about things that make absolutely no difference. So if you are a hockey/CHL fan and just want a thread where we can talk about the games, then please post here.

If, on the other hand, you want to whine about attendance, or weak lineups or teams not taking CHL seriously, or any other such complaints, please feel free to not post here and continue using the other thread.

Nice to see Yunost Minsk off to a strong start. They beat Trinec today on home ice 2-0. Will be interesting to see if they can maintain it. If I'm not mistaken, Neman Grodno had a strong start a couple of years ago, winning both of their opening games and then pretty much fell apart.

Lots of upsets in the making already today with Tychy up 1-0 on Mannheim, Grenoble leading Skelleftea and Frolunda losing 2-1 to Mountfield.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Puljujärvi on the scoresheet again, got an assist on Kärpät first goal vs SC Bern. Score is now 2-1 for Kärpät as Bern scored just moments ago.

Martinzcom

Sep 1, 2019
I noticed that usual suspects have highjacked the other CHL thread, and are using it whine, snivel and complain about the CHL, instead of just enjoying the games and commenting on what they are watching or have seen. So I have created this thread for people that enjoy watching and commenting on the games and not incessantly whining about things that make absolutely no difference. So if you are a hockey/CHL fan and just want a thread where we can talk about the games, then please post here.

If, on the other hand, you want to whine about attendance, or weak lineups or teams not taking CHL seriously, or any other such complaints, please feel free to not post here and continue using the other thread.

Nice to see Yunost Minsk off to a strong start. They beat Trinec today on home ice 2-0. Will be interesting to see if they can maintain it. If I'm not mistaken, Neman Grodno had a strong start a couple of years ago, winning both of their opening games and then pretty much fell apart.

Lots of upsets in the making already today with Tychy up 1-0 on Mannheim, Grenoble leading Skelleftea and Frolunda losing 2-1 to Mountfield.
I don't think that Hradec winning over Frolunda is an upset.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Kärpät-Bern on free tv in Finland with Mertaranta doing pbp.

tumblr_prs7998iWH1rpduwho1_400.gif

Reactions: Slimmy

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Watch out for Plzen in group B they have a strong team

Liberec needs to wake-up, but all is not lost they still have 3 games at home. They absolutely got to have the next 2 games at home.

Trinec is in the same boat as Liberec, they need to win their next 3 games which are all at home to have a chance to qualify for next round.

Mountfield HK are in a good spot in their group to advance, they still have all their game games coming.

So right we have 2 of the 4 Czech clubs having a good chance to advance to playoffs.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Ya I was pretty shocked about Liberec losing their first two. Expected a lot more from them, especially in a group that's not particularly strong.

Both UK teams are off to strong starts too. This is becoming trend, so clearly UK hockey is getting better. They get pretty strong support at their games too, so it's nice to see another Euro country taking to the game.

Anyways, good start to this years tourney. I'm looking forward to Gameday 3.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Skellefteå has been a huge disappointment in previous tournaments and continues to disappoint. Frölunda with a weak start to the tournament. Could be in trouble. But the biggest surprise for me so far this tournament is Cardiff. They had zero wins last tournament and already have two big scalps.

Reactions: Exarz

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Both UK teams are off to strong starts too. This is becoming trend, so clearly UK hockey is getting better. They get pretty strong support at their games too, so it's nice to see another Euro country taking to the game.
Yunost won against Trinec and Lausanne, is their hockey clearly getting better as well?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Pelicans were defeated by Lausanne. Looks like an interesting development. See.

1bc7039c7a0240739549dff0e46945b0.jpg.webp

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

I suppose their hockey has improved even more than GB one but the CHL results are pretty irrelevant to it, really. In both cases.

Pelicans were defeated by Lausanne. Looks like an interesting development.

NLA teams winning against Liiga teams in a tournament where anyone can win against anyone seems about just as much of an event as drunk sport's fan in Finland. That is, not much.

Reactions: BlizzardSloth

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
I suppose their hockey has improved even more than GB one but the CHL results are pretty irrelevant to it, really. In both cases.

NLA teams winning against Liiga teams in a tournament where anyone can win against anyone seems about just as much of an event as drunk sport's fan in Finland. That is, not much.
Thats a swiss hooligan on the ground though. Hope he didnt miss his flight.

Reactions: Jussi

rizka

May 7, 2016
Thank you @Go Donbass! I've had the exactly same thing on my mind.

My favourites Tappara has had a tough start this year. Particularly the game against KAC wasn't impressive. Too many easy penalties and too many mistakes on the own end. Also, KAC defended their net as fiercely as Matikainen's squads tend to do. They pushed our forwards to the boards and didn't let any shots through. Had a powerplay goal and one goal from mistake of KAC's goalie Haugen, but that was it.

Saturday's game against EHC Biel was better in my opinion. Tappara had heavy puck possession throughout the game and kept Biel's scoring chances to the mininum. And the few great opportunities they had were denied by our goalie Heljanko. The problem was on the offensive end. Combination of somewhat unimaginative play, solid defence and magical Jonas Hiller kept us scoreless. Then an utterly stupid delay of game penalty two minutes before end of regulation ruined the rest of it. The short-handed unit fell asleep or something and the home side had a too easy a goal.

Going to be hard to bounce back from six-point deficit. We have two games on home ice this week and both must be won to give us decent position in the group. Losing both would mean immediate elimination.

Reactions: Go Donbass

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Thank you @Go Donbass! I've had the exactly same thing on my mind.

My favourites Tappara has had a tough start this year. Particularly the game against KAC wasn't impressive. Too many easy penalties and too many mistakes on the own end. Also, KAC defended their net as fiercely as Matikainen's squads tend to do. They pushed our forwards to the boards and didn't let any shots through. Had a powerplay goal and one goal from mistake of KAC's goalie Haugen, but that was it.

Saturday's game against EHC Biel was better in my opinion. Tappara had heavy puck possession throughout the game and kept Biel's scoring chances to the mininum. And the few great opportunities they had were denied by our goalie Heljanko. The problem was on the offensive end. Combination of somewhat unimaginative play, solid defence and magical Jonas Hiller kept us scoreless. Then an utterly stupid delay of game penalty two minutes before end of regulation ruined the rest of it. The short-handed unit fell asleep or something and the home side had a too easy a goal.

Going to be hard to bounce back from six-point deficit. We have two games on home ice this week and both must be won to give us decent position in the group. Losing both would mean immediate elimination.

The problem with Tappara under Rautakorpi has always been that they never get going until November-ish. So expecting them to succeed in CHL is not bring any results.

RamboZambo

Mar 4, 2019
The problem with Tappara under Rautakorpi has always been that they never get going until November-ish. So expecting them to succeed in CHL is not bring any results.
But Tapparea are usually very strong in group stage.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I only checked one UK team game so far. Giants vs Liberec.

Czechs were kinda shocked because of the aggressive 'North American' style Giants forced on them, they tried to play the same and didn't succeed. Relentless pressure by Belfast.

Reactions: Go Donbass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->