Champions Hockey League 2018-2019

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Great atmosphere in tonights game. The countries on the continent seem to get it. Hoping my fellow Swedes will come to realise that this is the future of European hockey.

Its like a derby. The drive from one city to the other is just around 90 min.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
He ment Frölunda is the favourite no matter the circumstance.
Well ok yes that's true but a fully seated Scandinavium or half empty Frölundaborg means a big difference. I think we win regardless but fully seated Scandinavium would really help.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Well ok yes that's true but a fully seated Scandinavium or half empty Frölundaborg means a big difference. I think we win regardless but fully seated Scandinavium would really help.
Frölunda has always treated this tournament with the utmost respect and professionalism. They have a lot of confidence and experience. They will play the same whether there are 3000 or 12044.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Dont think the arena will make a huge difference. Three teams in the DEL have a average of 11k+ visitors this season. In games against Munich there are even more visitors. Thats something Munich is used to.

Reactions: Husqvarna

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
Frölunda has always treated this tournament with the utmost respect and professionalism. They have a lot of confidence and experience. They will play the same whether there are 3000 or 12044.
Have you ever played a sport in your life? Of course the crowd makes a huge difference to your energy levels, saying otherwise is just embarrassing.
Dont think the arena will make a huge difference. Three teams in the DEL have a average of 11k+ visitors this season. In games against Munich there are even more visitors. Thats something Munich is used to.
Please don't exaggerate. Sure eg Köln average 11k but they have almost a 20k arena, so it doesn't feel the same way as when Frölunda play in front of 11k. And I'm not talking about intimidating the opponent. It's about motivating our own players. And playing in Frölundaborg in front of 3k and playing for a fully seated Scandinavium is two different things entirely.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Have you ever played a sport in your life? Of course the crowd makes a huge difference to your energy levels, saying otherwise is just embarrassing.

Please don't exaggerate. Sure eg Köln average 11k but they have almost a 20k arena, so it doesn't feel the same way as when Frölunda play in front of 11k. And I'm not talking about intimidating the opponent. It's about motivating our own players. And playing in Frölundaborg in front of 3k and playing for a fully seated Scandinavium is two different things entirely.
You have a point, but so do I.

Reactions: adamnowek

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011

The 3 arenas are Mannheim 15k seats, Berlin 17k seats, Köln 19,5k. Dont forget 11k+ is the average of these 3 teams. Against a top team in the DEL like Munich the crowd is bigger.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
And in any case the atmosphere in Germany tends to be better, in principle the final is just another away game without any "bright lights" factor.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Given the issues the CHL has had gaining traction, especially so in Sweden, I'm surprised Frolunda not only managed to sell out a 12,000+ seat arena, but did so in what... just 2 or 3 hours? Good for them, and good for the CHL.

I think if the people running the CHL were being honest they would say up to this point the interest and enthusiasm shown from hockey fans towards the tournament has been disappointing, perhaps this game will mark a turning point.:dunno:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Given the issues the CHL has had gaining traction, especially so in Sweden, I'm surprised Frolunda not only managed to sell out a 12,000+ seat arena, but did so in what... just 2 or 3 hours? Good for them, and good for the CHL.

I think if the people running the CHL were being honest they would say up to this point the interest and enthusiasm shown from hockey fans towards the tournament has been disappointing, perhaps this game will mark a turning point.:dunno:
I think it was less than two hours, actually. Fact is, though, every final held in Sweden has been sold out. However, this is the first time it will be held in a 10,000+ capacity arena. With a little bit of luck it could have been held in Scandinavium the inaugural season and maybe that would have been a big boost for the tournament in Sweden. More people attending the finals would have meant more media exposure and the publics eye would have been drawn toward the tournament.
Sadly, the year Frölunda finally earned home ice advantage Scandinavium was booked for other events. Playing in Frölundaborg further entrenched sport media in their view of the tournaments as a joke.
I'm very thankful to the CHL brass that they changed the rules to prohibit teams from using their back up arena for CHL finals.
This meant the politicians in Gothenburg city could not force Frölunda to play in Frölundaborg which they already planned they would do. Instead a local handball team voluntarily moved their match to another arena.
I really detest the politicians in this city and how they piss on hockey fans every chance they get.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Gothenburg definitely is a hockey town. Tickets sold out by lunch time. :D

Success does breed interest. It's no wonder Kärpät ja JYP have great attendances throughout the season in the competition when they've gone far. Finland having only 4 teams in it next season will make things interesting as only three teams, the champions and the top 3 regular season finishers will qualify (4th place team if champions are in the top 3).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad