Champions Hockey League 2018-2019

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
In a hockey system which has never made any money and is completely lost from a financial point of view. Where you become champion of a country by sinking in 40 million euros and see maybe 5 million come back. Way to be proud of something.

Every financially responsible team in the KHL went "modest team > bottom dweller > out of the league" route and you are bragging the league can throw meaningless amount of money away for some tickets. How about they create an environment where teams would get something from participating in it and could pay for the tickets themselves?
The problem is the CHL has not created such an environment. And the league is run the way to never achieve this goal.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well if anything, this Kazakh debacle proves it at least aims to.

Plus teams already can make money by succeeding in the CHL. Kärpät profits for the season were increased when they played in the finals and even semifinals. JYP ended up with a big minus for last season largely due to both on-the-ice (eliminated in the first round of Liiga playoffs) and off-the-ice issues not related to the CHL, but they would have been a lot bigger had they not won it.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Well if anything, this Kazakh debacle proves it at least aims to.
How does this prove it?

Perhaps you have not studied the CHL enough. If you did, you would found articles claiming something like "if you are unlucky (a club from Central Europe) and you get a club from the North (Sweden/Finland), you have no chance to be in green numbers."

That is not a problem of travelling to Kazakhstan. It is a problem of travelling in Europe. There are CHL clubs who can not afford it, even with all prize money.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
Reward money will only keep increasing as the CHL is growing stronger. By 2022 it will double. If it keep increasing in that pace it will soon be the premier hockey tournament in Europe.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
So is Frolunda the favourites then? They’ve looked better than either of the Red Bull teams.

We have pretty good coverage of this in Canada on TSN. Hopefully this continues to grow.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So is Frolunda the favourites then? They’ve looked better than either of the Red Bull teams.

We have pretty good coverage of this in Canada on TSN. Hopefully this continues to grow.
Obviously, the Swedish team is a favorite against German or Austrian ones. Salzburg getting to this point is a big surprise already.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
I'm disappointed about Plzen using an Indian logo. Imagine having a hockey club in the birth place of the pilsner and not having any reference to that in your logo.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Obviously, the Swedish team is a favorite against German or Austrian ones. Salzburg getting to this point is a big surprise already.

True. The German team has looked not bad though. I assume KHL teams would dominate this if they participated.

The atmosphere when the Red Bull teams played each other was excellent.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
MOD NOTE: Please keep things on track, we are here to discuss the Champions Hockey League, if you want to discuss the other aspects of the league not related to the actual hockey then create another thread. This is not the place to compare different leagues.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Great atmosphere in tonights game. The countries on the continent seem to get it. Hoping my fellow Swedes will come to realise that this is the future of European hockey.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
If it's held in Scandinavium and they manage to sell say 10k tickets, then I'm close to 100% confident Frölunda will win the final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad