Champions Hockey League 2018-2019

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I will miss a fact that the first sentence does not make sense.

Scandinavium is free today.

Do you want to claim that Scandinavium has had other events all season? And Mercedes-Benz Arena in Berlin as well?
We all know the true reason. Eisbären used Mercedes-Benz Arena once this season. One would not believe it, but 4k fans came to the game.
I corrected my initial post. They intended to play in Scandinavium. The other games were held in Frölundaborg because they would not be able to fill the arena. The finals would have been sold out if held in Scandinavium, no problem.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
+ Three goal lead and Frölunda was quite overwhelming to Pilsen in the Indian derby. I think Frölunda most likely will play another final. Indians are probably the strongest team in Europe, outside the KHL.

- The attendance was a bit disappointing (3000). The problem with Frölundaborg is that kortsidorna (short sides?) are stands. And Frölunda fans are used to seats. The seats were all sold out, but the stands were quite empty.

I am looking forward to a final against a Red Bull team.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
A very entertaining Munich - Salzburg game in the other semis. Great crowd, lots of emotion, great pace and an even matchup. Non of the teams wanted to give up any chances and kept mistakes to a minimum. Really looking forward to the re-match.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
A very entertaining Munich - Salzburg game in the other semis. Great crowd, lots of emotion, great pace and an even matchup. Non of the teams wanted to give up any chances and kept mistakes to a minimum. Really looking forward to the re-match.
I can't wait to see us smash them to be honest.

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
I can see the appeal in the champions league and hope it could be as popular as the UEFA version.

However, it wont happen before more money poors into EU hockey and the clubs actually wants to invest and spend time promoting the tournament.

Reactions: vorky

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I can see the appeal in the champions league and hope it could be as popular as the UEFA version.

However, it wont happen before more money poors into EU hockey and the clubs actually wants to invest and spend time promoting the tournament.
Thank you for the words. I have been talking it for years.

Actually, European clubs do not have resources nor desire to invest huge money into hockey. The CHL is definitely not a reason to do so.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Do you want to claim that Scandinavium has had other events all season? And Mercedes-Benz Arena in Berlin as well?
We all know the true reason. Eisbären used Mercedes-Benz Arena once this season. One would not believe it, but 4k fans came to the game.

Eisbären held a special weekend at the Wellblechpalast which is still regarded by the fans as their spiritual home, that's why they played their first two CHL home games there. The game played at Mercedes-Benz-Arena was against Neman Grodno and Eisbären had already lost the chance to qualify.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019

If you look at the best hockey countries in Europe, except Russia, then they are all countries with small population. Sweden and Czech Republic are the two most populous, and then you have Finland, Slovakia, Switzerland who are all a lot smaller. That makes it fully possible in my view that rather than a UEFA format kind of cup we will eventually see the CHL develop into a variant of the Euroleague we have in basket.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Kokshetau is not in Europe though.

And what? They won the IIHF Continental Cup, thus they should go to the CHL as it was the case. Or is it written somewhere that we're talking about a European Champions League, like the football one? I read the league's denomination as "Champions Hockey League", I don't see the word "Europe", "Europa", or even "Yurop".
So, isn't the CHL a super-duper league? Your mighty and super-efficient marketing machines can't raise the money to get a plane to Kazakhstan? KHL teams go from Bratislava to Vladivostok without batting an eyelid, the CHL must do better than this.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
And what? They won the IIHF Continental Cup, thus they should go to the CHL as it was the case. Or is it written somewhere that we're talking about a European Champions League, like the football one? I read the league's denomination as "Champions Hockey League", I don't see the word "Europe", "Europa", or even "Yurop".
So, isn't the CHL a super-duper league? Your mighty and super-efficient marketing machines can't raise the money to get a plane to Kazakhstan? KHL teams go from Bratislava to Vladivostok without batting an eyelid, the CHL must do better than this.
The decision had been made prior the final stage already.

"Conversely, the CHL Board cannot accept the fourth IIHF Continental Cup finalist Arlan Kokshetau (KAZ) as a CHL qualifier for the reason that travel logistics to Kazakhstan are too extensive for CHL teams. If Arlan Kokshetau win the tournament, the CHL place for the IIHF Continental Cup winners will be returned to the Champions Hockey League and a Wild Card to another team will be granted as per a CHL Board decision."

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
The decision had been made prior the final stage already.

"Conversely, the CHL Board cannot accept the fourth IIHF Continental Cup finalist Arlan Kokshetau (KAZ) as a CHL qualifier for the reason that travel logistics to Kazakhstan are too extensive for CHL teams. If Arlan Kokshetau win the tournament, the CHL place for the IIHF Continental Cup winners will be returned to the Champions Hockey League and a Wild Card to another team will be granted as per a CHL Board decision."

Still doesn't make it less ridiculous.
Sibir Novosibirsk played in the UEFA Europa League, they even defeated PSV Eindhoven.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Still doesn't make it less ridiculous.
Sibir Novosibirsk played in the UEFA Europa League, they even defeated PSV Eindhoven.
Different situations obviously. More money is involved in soccer plus there's the fact that hockey has no regional administrative bodies such as the UEFA so there's no such "responsibility" for the CHL to let the Kazakhstani teams participate. Not that the CHL is even under the IIHF's administration to begin with.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Different situations obviously. More money is involved in soccer plus there's the fact that hockey has no regional administrative bodies such as the UEFA so there's no such "responsibility" for the CHL to let the Kazakhstani teams participate. Not that the CHL is even under the IIHF's administration to begin with.
Fine, no Kazakh team in the CHL, not a big deal.

A big deal if that the CHL BoD admitted their clubs do not have money for a single trip.

We all remember the claims how the KHL should join. I even read recently - a translation from German - there will be a time when the KHL WILL HAVE TO JOIN.

You know, the CHL clubs would have to travel to Kazan, Ekaterinburg or even Vladivostok. What will the CHL do then?

I understand the small European clubs do not have money to travel to Kazakhstan. There is a solution - the CHL should pay the trip for this one or two clubs. I will tell you what the MHL - the junior league - has been doing since their Day One. They pay ALL travelling costs to ALL clubs in the playoffs. That is a JUNIOR league! Not the best European senior league as the CHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
They pay ALL travelling costs to ALL clubs in the playoffs. That is a JUNIOR league!
In a hockey system which has never made any money and is completely lost from a financial point of view. Where you become champion of a country by sinking in 40 million euros and see maybe 5 million come back. Way to be proud of something.

Every financially responsible team in the KHL went "modest team > bottom dweller > out of the league" route and you are bragging the league can throw meaningless amount of money away for some tickets. How about they create an environment where teams would get something from participating in it and could pay for the tickets themselves?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciccarelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad