Champions Hockey League 2018-2019

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Success does breed interest. It's no wonder Kärpät ja JYP have great attendances throughout the season in the competition when they've gone far. Finland having only 4 teams in it next season will make things interesting as only three teams, the champions and the top 3 regular season finishers will qualify (4th place team if champions are in the top 3).

Wouldn't make more sense to get the four semi-finalists?

Eisdork

Jan 19, 2013
-
Just want to throw this in here. I looked up the recent TV ratings of hockey games in Germany and to my complete surprise the CHL is doing actually pretty well. The last game of Munich was watched by an average of 250k viewers, which are typical DEL game TV ratings. I expected the numbers to be MUCH lower. The 15 games which have been broadcasted this CHL season had an average viewership of 166k. To me it looks like German hockey fans have kind of accepted the CHL and give it the same attention as DEL games or Deutschland Cup games. I think the Semi Final game in Munich was also sold out.

Although first round attendance for all 3 German teams was pretty bad. Berlin didn't even take the games serious, the first of the 3 games was held in their old/small arena in total they had maybe 30% attendance of a normal DEL game. In Munich it was a bit better with maybe 60% of DEL attendance and in Nürnberg it was around 80%. I hope that Munich showing that Semi Finals and Finals can sell out the arena and TV ratings being pretty good will show German teams that it's worth making an effort in future seasons.

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017
Does Liiga ever rationalize their decisions? Maybe some teams thought there would be a better chance for new teams to take part this way.

I am under the impression, that this ruling came from CHL and Liiga had nothing to say to it. If I remember it right, the reason was something like "central europeans found it hard to understand the qualifying rules for CHL and so they made them easier to understand". I thing they should let every participating league decide, with what formula they send their best to CHL, because current rules can lead to situation where there would be the Champion and three teams that ended their season in the first round of playoffs. Not very likely scenario but would be very hard for finnish viewer to understand and get excited about the competition.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I am under the impression, that this ruling came from CHL and Liiga had nothing to say to it. If I remember it right, the reason was something like "central europeans found it hard to understand the qualifying rules for CHL and so they made them easier to understand". I thing they should let every participating league decide, with what formula they send their best to CHL, because current rules can lead to situation where there would be the Champion and three teams that ended their season in the first round of playoffs. Not very likely scenario but would be very hard for finnish viewer to understand and get excited about the competition.
If you mean "the sporting merits", it came from Swedes.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Rakshani is leaving to get checked for a concussion. Really ugly play by Seidenberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad