Who would you build your D around?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If Rielly is on team Canada, then man, that's a TERRRRIBLEE year for them on defense. SUBBAN(!!) played 1 game for Canada even AFTER having a Norris trophy and some monster playoff performances. No way in hell Rielly getting close to that. He isn't even a top 20 D. LETANG(!!) is significantly better than Rielly and he's never sniffed OG for Canada and yet we mentioning a number fringe number 1/number 2 defender for team Canada?

Doughty
Subban
Pietrangelo
Burns
Giordano
Keith
Letang
Parayko

are all easily ahead and im not even considering Chabot or few others who are probably nearing him anyway. Weber can come back next week from injury and be ahead of Rielly.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Right, and I'm a super advanced toddler whose typing skills and coherent syntax amaze even the top scientists.

The troll bus is leaving, better run before you miss it!

giphy.gif
Again. Just emotional flailing. I have a differing opinion on Chabot here. I stated that when HFBoard members encounter differing opinions on their players, they whine and moan.

None of that equates to trolling if you step back from that emotion. You don’t have to understand it for it to be true.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Rielly is also on an unsustainable streak, or do you expect him to finish with close to 100 points? Obviously both players will slow down, but it's completely legitimate to think Chabot will be the better offensive player going forward.

Agree with you on the Pettersson vs. Matthews poll though. That was HF at it's finest.
Yes, I agree it's not entirely sustainable. But also dating back to the last 100 games, Rielly has scored 82 points, which extrapolates to 65 points. That's right around what most people are expecting at this point. Even if he regresses back to what he scored last year. He still finishes with 60+. FWIW, I think it's likely Chabot finishes their careers as the better offensive producer. I want to seem both him and Rielly with stable partners (Think Tanev/Methot) so they can really wheel.

Everyone knows Matthews is elite, i dont see anyone arguing that, its leaf fans that are saying Chabot is a flash in the pan. Also the unsustainable streaks you are comparing arent really all that similar. Matthews had 14 points in 6 games, Chabot has 20 over 15. No I dont think Chabot is going to score 110 points but its not like he isnt capable of 70. I dont think anyone thought Matthews was going to score 220 points but 100 is realistic.

You are speaking to someone who thinks the opposite. Massive, massive fan of Chabot. They are pretty comparable when you factor in OiSH%. Matthews was shooting 50% but his OiSH percentage was low compared to the last two years. This due to Marleau being garbage and Kapanen slightly slumping. Normalize his shooting percentage and OiSH and he still produces over a PPG. I agree with both of your realistic point outputs.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
If Rielly is on team Canada, then man, that's a TERRRRIBLEE year for them on defense. SUBBAN(!!) played 1 game for Canada even AFTER having a Norris trophy and some monster playoff performances. No way in hell Rielly getting close to that. He isn't even a top 20 D. LETANG(!!) is significantly better than Rielly and he's never sniffed OG for Canada and yet we mentioning a number fringe number 1/number 2 defender for team Canada?

Doughty
Subban
Pietrangelo
Burns
Giordano
Keith
Letang
Parayko

are all easily ahead and im not even considering Chabot or few others who are probably nearing him anyway. Weber can come back next week from injury and be ahead of Rielly.

What is this, 2015?

Reactions: bert

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I take Rielly this year, Chabot moving forward.

I've probably been Cabot's biggest supporter since his midget season, he's unbelievable

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I seriously don’t get the secondary assists excuse. Aren’t you still putting up numbers while helping your team score even if those are ‘’Secondary assists’’ ? I mean if you’re on the ice and producing with your team scoring I don’t get why secondary assists would somehow be not that good. As for the poll I don’t know who to vote to me it’s very close though. It’s hard to deny what Chabot is doing with the team or should I say the dman he has. Hell even Lajoie is producing so far. Probably won’t keep that pace but Chabot is making the Karlsson trade easier to forget.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I seriously don’t get the secondary assists excuse. Aren’t you still putting up numbers while helping your team score even if those are ‘’Secondary assists’’ ? I mean if you’re on the ice and producing with your team scoring I don’t get why secondary assists would somehow be not that good.

Your emotional flailing has no place here.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
People realize Keith won his second Norris with 34% of his points coming as secondary assists right. Or I think more than that. And Keith played second pair competition while Hjammer and Oduya faced top pair. AND Keith actually had elite talent throughout the roster to make plays happen after he got them the puck. It was a huge argument used against Keith that year (pretty sure also enormous chunk was PP points and Vlasic had more EVP than him too). Primary points are more important no doubt, but gotta look at the context. I also don't think Keith should have won that Norris cause his season was not a standout whatsoever but the point still stands that Chabot has secondary assists AND is doing everything else as well as accumulating a bunch of primary ones too etc... So I dunno why this is brought up against Chabot when the same (likely) posters weren't saying much when Keith won a NORRIS following same recipe(im not justifying it, but im saying at least be consistent).

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Karlsson at 21 won the Norris and outscored the next closed Dman by 25 points. If you only counted his even strength points that year he still would have led Dmen in points.

I don't think he is close to but but we shall see. He is definitely a step ahead defensively than EK was but Karlsson was starting to also thrive on D at 21. He would steal the puck, lifting those sticks and skate out. So good.

Yet oddly enough, even karlsson never had 20 points in the first 15 games.

The sample is getting bigger and bigger and he's not slowing down. Let's just say I wouldn't be shocked if chabot got over 70 points like karlsson did provided he stays healthy.

Can you see chabot get 50 points in the next 67 games? That's what it will take to hit 70.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
So, the math? He would need 1 primary assist for what you said to be incorrect

It's no surprise the top 6 on the list of secondary assists are defenseman, the guys who are pushing the play towards the net...
defenseman always rack up secondary assists if they are rthe ones moving the play up the ice, not sure why chabot is being discredited for having secondary assists when it's a reproducable stat for a guy like him

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yet oddly enough, even karlsson never had 20 points in the first 15 games.

The sample is getting bigger and bigger and he's not slowing down. Let's just say I wouldn't be shocked if chabot got over 70 points like karlsson did provided he stays healthy.

Can you see chabot get 50 points in the next 67 games? That's what it will take to hit 70.

No I can't.

This is still a very poor team and it will have to score goals for Chabot to get points.

50 points would be nice - that's 30 points in his next 67 games.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Watch hockey. Not that Rielly isnt good he is terrific but if your pathetic excuse for your reasoning is a 3 word answer then seriously go watch the sens game from last night on Game Center.

Or the people that have tuned into a game have seen how he is playing on a D core filled with 5 and 6's as he takes all the hard matchups while he produces.

Or the same people that watched him dominate Jr like no other D man has in a very long time. You know maybe those are the posters you are talking about.
Oh I’m not saying he isn’t good. He’s just not a 1d yet.

Reactions: Snowman

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Man, these wack sens fans are something else. Morgan easily. Chabot has been great so far. Lol, apparently Chabot is generational. Ek leaves and you instantly have his replacement. How awesome for sens fans.

Yes, these sens fans that apparently outnumber leaf fans 4 to 1 lol.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
No I can't.

This is still a very poor team and it will have to score goals for Chabot to get points.

50 points would be nice - that's 30 points in his next 67 games.

I'm way more shocked by your 30 points in 67 games statement than if chabot put 70 points.

He produced your pace as a rookie barely getting icetime.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm way more shocked by your 30 points in 67 games statement than if chabot put 70 points.

He produced your pace as a rookie barely getting icetime.

I guess we'll find out.

His rookie pace also takes into account strong stretches and weak stretches.

Arguably he's already had a strong stretch this season but no weak stretch.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
How many points did Rielly get in his sophomore season? 29. Chabot has 20 in November as a sophomore already.

What people should be focusing on is, Chabot already has 20 points as a sophomore D man. Rielly had 29 points his entire sophomore year. I don't know how many 2nd assists Rielly had that year? But one thing I do know, is Chabot is blowing Rielly's modest offensive numbers out of the water at a similar point in both player's careers. This just cannot be disputed.

This is rich coming from the same guy who posted this

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...ighest-ceiling.2523791/page-33#post-148715907

So which is it? Do stats at similar age matter or is it only convenient when putting down Leafs players? Or are you going to run and hide after being called out again? I find it comical how often you will show up to put down Leafs players at every chance you get.

Moving on from this small thread derail, it's interesting to see how well Chabot is doing so far on a team most people thought would be in the basement throughout the year

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

Doughty
Subban
Pietrangelo
Burns
Giordano
Keith
Letang
Parayko

Oh yea man I can't wait to have 38 year old Giordano, 36 year old Burns, 38 year old Keith, 34 year old Letang, 36 year old Weber on team Canada in 2022,god that's going to be a fast and exciting defence.. Also Parayko lol. And yea he's a number one, not a fringe/#2. Wouldn't expect much Leafs knowledge from you though, so I'll let it slide yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad