Chabot vs. Rielly

Who would you build your D around?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Just look at how he played against the Leafs.

He's a beast. No disrespect to Rielly but Rielly doenst even have skating or size.

Chabot looks like a guy that will be on the top pairing on team Canada Defences one day.

Morgan does not have that kind of talent. If he was I'd be worried for our defence.

Rielly is a very good skater and he’s jacked. Your the first person I have ever seen question His Skating. It’s one of his best assets.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
rielly plays with matthews/tavares/marner,etc.

who does chabot have that's anywhere close to those level of players. The fact that he's putting up the numbers and playing great d while being younger shows he's definitely going to better.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
jesus christ lmao. it'll be a cold day in hell before Rielly ever gets any credit from HFBoards.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
That’s because Kessel was better than Ovechkin and Dion was a top defenseman. Bernier should start at the olympics. So yeah, that was funny.
Who said this?

Are we in the business of just making things up in our head and presenting them as reality, cause if that's the case, Dermott >>> Chabot AINEC

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Who said this?

Are we in the business of just making things up in our head and presenting them as reality, cause if that's the case, Dermott >>> Chabot AINEC

That was an actual thread. I remember it. The other ones you don’t take issue with though. It was during the 11/12 season when he put up 65 points and the argument was made that Phil was better. Anyway who cares. Rielly looks much better this year. Chabot has looked phenomenal too. It’s pretty close I think.

Last edited:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
That’s because Kessel was better than Ovechkin and Dion was a top defenseman. Bernier should start at the olympics. So yeah, that was funny.

Heh I remember Kessel vs Kane. I remember Phaneuf playing the hardest minutes in the NHL and staying afloat most of the time and people calling him a #4. Bernier at the Olympics? Never remember hearing that one.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Both should realistically have a shot at the olympic roster for a lhd spot. Cant go wrong with either on although Chabot seems to have a higher ceiling and is the younger player

Reactions: NyQuil

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
rielly plays with matthews/tavares/marner,etc.

who does chabot have that's anywhere close to those level of players. The fact that he's putting up the numbers and playing great d while being younger shows he's definitely going to better.
Doesn't matter who's doing the scoring, fact is Ottawa has scored 49 times and Toronto has scored 51. Pretty close.

With that being said, I'm not buying anything Ottawa's selling so far this season.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He is the #1 d-man on a contending team. He is a two-way defender. Anyone still trying to argue against this is living in 2015.

Lol, we'll see. I know id be trembling like crazy going into playoffs with Rielly as my number 1. Only way it works is if Andersen and 2-3 of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares play Conn Smythe level hockey.

Reactions: Snowman

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
He's excellent offensive guy but calling him 2 way defender is very humerous.
He’s overrated offensively as well. I posted it in the other thread, but since the start of the 2016-2017 season he’s 27th in 5v5 P/60 for D-men. He’s got great PP numbers but that’s largely a function of situation and system. He’s clearly less important to the Leaf PP than Marner Matthews and Tavares. Put any skilled D-man in that spot and they will put up points IMO.

That said Rielly is still a very good player it’s way to early to anoint Chabot as an elite D-man. I'm not sure I'd build my D around either, but Chabot being the more unknown could turn out to be that type of player but I’d still take the more known quantity even if he isn’t as good as Leafs fans claim.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
People are acting like Morgan Reilly wasn't a highly touted defensive prospect when he was young, yeah he wasn't the WJC MVP, but he was still drafted #5 overall (vs. 18th).

He just took a few years to get going, which Chabot did too (this is his 4th year after the draft). At the end of the day, they are both young players, and Reilly is 6th in Defenceman scoring since the start of last season. And I would bet on the ~90 game sample size over the 15 game sample size.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Chabot easily.

Incredible what he's doing on a team with the Sens who severely lack talent. Rielly would struggle to hit 30 points a year on the Sens with his muffin shot since he wouldn't be able to just rack up assists by throwing the puck up the ice to Tavares, Marner, Matthews etc.

Reactions: pown

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I guess if we're being nasty I will take solace in the fact that I am not a Sens fan :help: "Congrats, your franchise player is probably as good or better than our 5th best player".

Chabot might be better than every player on the leafs when its all said and done.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I guess if we're being nasty I will take solace in the fact that I am not a Sens fan :help: "Congrats, your franchise player is probably as good or better than our 5th best player".

Not being nasty. Rielly is in a spectacular situation for him and I don't think Chabot would be scoring as much on the Leafs the way Rielly is. He'd make them a better team but Rielly fits a great niche there. He is a really, really good offensive defender with spurts of great defensive play on occasion.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Chabot easily.

Incredible what he's doing on a team with the Sens who severely lack talent. Rielly would struggle to hit 30 points a year on the Sens with his muffin shot since he wouldn't be able to just rack up assists by throwing the puck up the ice to Tavares, Marner, Matthews etc.

Are you aware that Rielly has 6 goals so far?

Reactions: triggrman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad