Who would you build your D around?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What statement about him being a Norris candidate?

"Rielly's ceiling is Norris trophy or candidate, what would "a much higher ceiling" be?"
^
That is still yet to be proven if hell ever win a Norris, or even be a candidate. If you base it on 15 games this year then yea he would be a Norris candidate but still a long season to go.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
There is lot more than a 15 game sample size. It is based on his progression until now.
Yes but he has not received any Norris votes up to this point in his career... obviously if he continues having the season hes having this year hell def be in the talks at the end of the year but still has a long way to go until then.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
"Rielly's ceiling is Norris trophy or candidate, what would "a much higher ceiling" be?"
^

That is still yet to be proven if hell ever win a Norris, or even be a candidate. If you base it on 15 games this year then yea he would be a Norris candidate but still a long season to go.
I said that? Also I'm making the argument that calling Chabot currently better is way premature. I don't doubt he will eventually be better but it can't be after so few games, where Rielly has been one of the league's best defensemen in the same period of time. Also Rielly was elite last year. He was one of three defensemen in the league to play against the top percentile of competition, score 50 points and be a positive possession player. The other two were Doughty and Hedman.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
^

We are talking about ceilings here, that neither player has reached yet. Even then, not reaching that level doesn't mean it wasn't his ceiling.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I said that? Also I'm making the argument that calling Chabot currently better is way premature. I don't doubt he will eventually be better but it can't be after so few games, where Rielly has been one of the league's best defensemen in the same period of time. Also Rielly was elite last year. He was one of three defensemen in the league to play against the top percentile of competition, score 50 points and be a positive possession player. The other two were Doughty and Hedman.
The question is who would you choose to build your defense around tho… so yes right now id agree rielly is better/ more body of work... more expierence etc.

But going forward I think chabot will be the better of the 2... and if I was going to be building a team id personally go with chabot.

If I was adding a player to my current team, then rielly would prob be the answer.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Considering he has 4 goals and 20 points, I don't think that is very likely if you cared to do the math
As of before yesterday’s games, 11 of his points were secondary assists. Not sure about the 3 pts last night though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No he isn't. Rielly plays against some of the toughest competition in the league, has good advanced stats and is amongst the leaders in the NHL in D points right now. Nevermind he has a track record. How is Chabot already better?

He is more talented thats how he is better, no slight to Rielly they likely anchor the top two pairs at the next best on best for Canada. Chabot is also taking all the hard matchups and has next to no support on the back end

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Nobody would have placed Rielly as an elite defenseman before the season.

And gambling is just with Chabot here? Rielly has already slowed down and others have caught him or are catching him despite not having loaded forward talent like Rielly.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
So, the math? He would need 1 primary assist for what you said to be incorrect

It's no surprise the top 6 on the list of secondary assists are defenseman, the guys who are pushing the play towards the net...
Geez this place. I should’ve said 71.07%.

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
Wasn't Crosby criticized for getting a ton of secondary assists? Geez, that guy must be a bum.

It's more feasible for defenseman to get the secondary assist since they're the one who's starting the breakout.

Steeze

Dazed Dilettante.
Jul 23, 2015
Or the same people that watched him dominate Jr like no other D man has in a very long time. You know maybe those are the posters you are talking about.

I'm talking about the posters that show up in every single one of these polls acting like they've had box seats to watch every new kid on the block play since they were five. Who use every opportunity to pat themselves on the back while they put on airs like they're some auspicious scouting prodigy, instead of some dude with a casual hobby who can channel flip like the rest of us.

Reactions: bert

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Well, it’s certainly become mighty emotional in this thread.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Secondary assists are far easier to fluke off than primary assists and goals.

Is it easier to thwart a forcheck and beat three players with your skating and puck movement creating an odd man rush or is it easier to one touch a pass on the power play. You tell me.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Is it easier to thwart a forcheck and beat three players with your skating and puck movement creating an odd man rush or is it easier to one touch a pass on the power play. You tell me.
In those extreme ends of the spectrum you choose to use, arguable. In general, the primary assist is more influential in obtaining the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad