Chabot vs. Rielly

Who would you build your D around?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Rielly is on team Canada, then man, that's a TERRRRIBLEE year for them on defense. SUBBAN(!!) played 1 game for Canada even AFTER having a Norris trophy and some monster playoff performances. No way in hell Rielly getting close to that. He isn't even a top 20 D. LETANG(!!) is significantly better than Rielly and he's never sniffed OG for Canada and yet we mentioning a number fringe number 1/number 2 defender for team Canada?

Doughty
Subban
Pietrangelo
Burns
Giordano
Keith
Letang
Parayko

are all easily ahead and im not even considering Chabot or few others who are probably nearing him anyway. Weber can come back next week from injury and be ahead of Rielly.
The last time Rielly played for Team Canada. He Cost Canada a bronze medal with his ill timed gamble of breaking up this pass, he flubbed it. Nichushkin didn't miss though. This is a scary thought if Canada's D doesn't get better. It used to be so stacked.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I guess we'll find out.

His rookie pace also takes into account strong stretches and weak stretches.

Arguably he's already had a strong stretch this season but no weak stretch.

He's on Pace for what? 120 points? My 70 points takes into account weak stretches which is why it's a whopping 50 points below his pace. I just think he's capable of stretches like 20 points in 15 games during his hot stretches.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I still can't believe Hedman won a Norris trophy when his competition had a higher proportion of primary assists.

14th among all defencemen in primary assists.

I'm sure you raised this particular red flag during the awards discussion.
He had nearly double the primary points/60 rate of doughty

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
And ill repeat myself watch the games.
I watched him get walked pretty hard by Brayden Point in OT, but I’m sure that’s not what you meant. ;)

No hate to Hotsam tho, good player and certainly 1d potential. He’s a great skater and can run the offense with ease. He’s not perfect though. A #2 for now imo.

Reactions: Snowman

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's on Pace for what? 120 points? My 70 points takes into account weak stretches which is why it's a whopping 50 points below his pace. I just think he's capable of stretches like 20 points in 15 games during his hot stretches.

Over the past 5 seasons, there have been only 6 campaigns where a defenceman scored 70 or more points, and they were produced by only three players:
  • Erik Karlsson 82 2015-2016
  • Brent Burns 76 2016-2017
  • Brent Burns 75 2015-2016
  • Erik Karlsson 74 2013-2014
  • Victor Hedman 72 2016-2017
  • Erik Karlsson 71 2016-2017
I think the odds are significantly stacked against him.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Oh yea man I can't wait to have 38 year old Giordano, 36 year old Burns, 38 year old Keith, 34 year old Letang, 36 year old Weber on team Canada in 2022,god that's going to be a fast and exciting defence.. Also Parayko lol. And yea he's a number one, not a fringe/#2. Wouldn't expect much Leafs knowledge from you though, so I'll let it slide yet again.

Technically, the argument made by your fellow Leaf fan was that Rielly would be on Team Canada RIGHT NOW.

As opposed to 2022.

The discussion was about Chabot and Rielly on Team Canada:

Sundinisagod said:
This was actually brought up during Leafs Lunch radio yesterday (nice timing lol). I'm pretty sure it was Dave Poulin saying that not only would Rielly be on Team Canada, but that he'd most likely be the top LHD, so yes he does have that kind of talent. Feel free to let me know which LHD would be ahead of him.

Sundinisagod said:
As of today, team Canada braintrust would certainly go with the more proven Rielly, in 4 years it may or may not be a different story, but as of today the clear choice would be Rielly.

Now the Senators fan may also be arguing that he wouldn't be on it in 2022 as well, I can't speak for him.

Last edited:

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
You always take the one who is younger, on his ELC and has more potential vs proven players
right leafs fans?

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
They contribute less to a goal and are less sustainable

Please elaborate as to how they are less sustainable.

If player A passes to player B who then passes to player C who scores how does that equate to contributing less? Often, the secondary assist is the catalyst for the goal being scored.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Jesus. According to HFboards the Leafs best center and D aren't as good as guys with a cup of coffee in the NHL. I know how predictable it is but man. Just hilarious being called over rated all offseason and then getting these types of polls.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Chabot. Just unbelievable what he’s doing on a weak team at such a young age. The Sens have a knack for getting these elite defensemen. To grab him as an 18th pick is highway robbery!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Jesus. According to HFboards the Leafs best center and D aren't as good as guys with a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Technically it's not what was asked.

There are a few people in here who voted Chabot who would take Rielly for this season.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
That isn't criteria and your logic is flawed.
To me a #1 dman is one of the 31 best dmen in the league, so that in theory if every team were equal each team would have a #1. If you mean best dman on his team then yes Chabot fits that category without a doubt.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah after years of Leaf fans saying our players vs x and getting laughed at, now suddenly it's not ridiculous to compare these guys to established star pieces...

I guess I have a different interpretation of what an "established star piece" is.

Rielly didn't top 30 points for three of his first five seasons. He's coming off a 52 point season and he has a hot start to this year.

He's not the Auston Matthews of defencemen.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I guess I have a different interpretation of what an "established star piece" is.

Rielly didn't top 30 points for three of his first five seasons. He's coming off a 52 point season and he has a hot start to this year.

There were only three D who put up that many points facing the QoC Rielly did last year. The other two who Hedman and Doughty. Chabot is getting over rated because he is a shiny new toy having a good start to his career. The same shit happened hundreds of times before him and will keep happening.

Either way, at least as a Leaf fan I can take solace that if the Sens somehow did get the next Karlsson their owner will likely cheap out on him too.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There were only three D who put up that many points facing the QoC Rielly did last year. The other two who Hedman and Doughty. Chabot is getting over rated because he is a shiny new toy having a good start to his career. The same **** happened hundreds of times before him and will keep happening.

I agree that his play is unsustainable.

But in the context of the question, which includes Chabot's stellar junior career, his MVP honors at the WJHC, and his start to his NHL career, and the fact that he's 3 years younger than Rielly, some people may take Chabot in that they view his ceiling as higher.

If you read the whole thread, you'll see that I acknowledge that Rielly did not have the same opportunities at the same stage of career that Chabot has. So that's something.

But it's not as if Chabot has come out of nowhere, like a Max Lajoie.

Either way, at least as a Leaf fan I can take solace that if the Sens somehow did get the next Karlsson their owner will likely cheap out on him too.

Well, as long as we're not bitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Oh yea man I can't wait to have 38 year old Giordano, 36 year old Burns, 38 year old Keith, 34 year old Letang, 36 year old Weber on team Canada in 2022,god that's going to be a fast and exciting defence.. Also Parayko lol. And yea he's a number one, not a fringe/#2. Wouldn't expect much Leafs knowledge from you though, so I'll let it slide yet again.

Beautiful reading comprehension. As NyQuil pointed out, I was talking about now, as your fellow Leaf fan was arguing too. Speaking of knowledge...

Chabot and Rielly will be both considered top 10 offensive defensmen by the end of the year.

I think so too. Only Chabot is an all-around defender, not just an Offensive one.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Beautiful reading comprehension. As NyQuil pointed out, I was talking about now, as your fellow Leaf fan was arguing too. Speaking of knowledge...

I think so too. Only Chabot is an all-around defender, not just an Offensive one.

TIL that Reilly isn’t a two way defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad