Who would you build your D around?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Oh yes, this is is the first time the whining and moaning went overboard here. My argument. It’s not the identity of these forums. Not at all.

See, you finally said something worth paying attention to in this thread.

Well done.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Then Rielly is also likely seeing inflated stats at this point in time.
The mot of any defenseman is 7 primary assists.

You're basically faulting Chabot for being involved in more scoring plays as the guy pushing the puck up the ice.

Or if you watched yesterday's game, get 2 secondary assists by being the guy to set up both plays that resulted in goals from the point. Only secondary assists though, he lucked into them...:laugh:

It's also not a coincidence that 10/15 of the guys with the highest secondary assists are defenceman...

Reactions: NyQuil

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Is it easier to thwart a forcheck and beat three players with your skating and puck movement creating an odd man rush or is it easier to one touch a pass on the power play. You tell me.
Weird cause Chabot only has 6 pp points this season meaning most of his secondary assists are off a breakout or even strength inside the offensive zone.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
See, you finally said something worth paying attention to in this thread.

Well done.
Lol. This is you guys. No joke. Now I say you guys meaning the general HF member when someone says something about a player in their team they don’t agree. Unless that player is traded. Then they stop caring or even do complete 180’s on their opinion. But in general. This is you guys.

0162A971-C52F-4AE4-BAF6-3323712FF085.gif

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Lol. This is you guys. No joke. Now I say you guys meaning the general HF member when someone says something about a player in their team they don’t agree. Unless that player is traded. Then they stop caring or even do complete 180’s on their opinion. But in general. This is you guys.

View attachment 152597

Bleh, the secondary assist argument is so hokey particularly as applied to puck-moving defencemen.

And even aside from that, to look at his body of play this year and focus on that aspect of it is silly. It's the kind of thing that people who haven't been watching him play would say.

This is you.

old.jpg

People who harp on secondary assists are just looking to start fights because it's a wholly unoriginal and pointless argument.

Even so, take away all of his secondary assists and he's still having a tremendous season for a guy in his 2nd year.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah but his secondary assists don't count anymore.
People are always looking to changing the rules to frame an argument. When this happens you know they are grasping. Why are secondary assists not valuable? When a player makes the play by gaining the zone, via elite zone entry players are more apt to do. The assist is equally as valuable as a primary assist, and in some cases more so since a goal would have never resulted from a gifted skater and puck mover.

Reactions: devbouz12

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
People are always looking to changing the rules to frame an argument. When this happens you know they are grasping. Why are secondary assists not valuable? When a player makes the play by gaining the zone, via elite zone entry players are more apt to do. The goal is equally as valuable as a primary assist, and in some cases more since a goal would have never resulted from a gifted skater and puck mover.

First it was "even strength points" as if somehow powerplay scoring doesn't matter anymore. Because those goals are only worth half? Don't you want a guy who can score with the man advantage?

Another one is "secondary assists". Sure, there's a degree of randomness to it but it does speak to possession (which is another thing people are obsessed with around here).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
First it was "even strength points" as if somehow powerplay scoring doesn't matter anymore. Because those goals are only worth half? Don't you want a guy who can score with the man advantage?

Another one is "secondary assists". Sure, there's a degree of randomness to it but it does speak to possession (which is another thing people are obsessed with around here).

What people should be focusing on is, Chabot already has 20 points as a sophomore D man. Rielly had 29 points his entire sophomore year. I don't know how many 2nd assists Rielly had that year? But one thing I do know, is Chabot is blowing Rielly's modest offensive numbers out of the water at a similar point in both player's careers. This just cannot be disputed.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What people should be focusing on is, Chabot already has 20 points as a sophomore D man. Rielly had 29 points his entire sophomore year. I don't know how many 2nd assists Rielly had that year? But one thing I do know, is Chabot is blowing Rielly's modest offensive numbers out of the water at a similar point in both player's careers. This cannot be disputed.

To be fair, I'm not sure what roles they had in those years.

But Chabot was made Ottawa's #1 d-man with 63 GP under his belt and hasn't looked out of place. Hopefully he can maintain that level of play, even if the production drops off (as it will).

Reactions: bert

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Bleh, the secondary assist argument is so hokey particularly as applied to puck-moving defencemen.

And even aside from that, to look at his body of play this year and focus on that aspect of it is silly. It's the kind of thing that people who haven't been watching him play would say.

This is you.

old.jpg

People who harp on secondary assists are just looking to start fights because it's a wholly unoriginal and pointless argument.

Even so, take away all of his secondary assists and he's still having a tremendous season for a guy in his 2nd year.
You’re meme is reaching. My gif is accurate. You don’t know if I’m old or young. You don’t know if watch Sens games or not. But, the emotional level of the general HF poster is long estabyand undeniable.

The only reason to reach and flail away at something that may or not be there is fully emotionally and not logically driven. You made my point for me.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
In those extreme ends of the spectrum you choose to use, arguable. In general, the primary assist is more influential in obtaining the goal.

Yes but that is position dependent. A forward who gets lots of secondary assists is completely different than a D man. Anyways your argument for him not being elite is a wild stretch anyways.

You may think thats an 'extreme' case for a secondary assist but thats how he gets them so its up to you to watch the games or just keep coming with this straw man argument.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Ah. I love HF. Where non-Leafs players can go on unsustainable streaks (Chabot, EP) and everyone claims they're godlike, but Matthews can do the same and he's overrated and he's the only one who will slow down. Never change HF.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ah. I love HF. Where non-Leafs players can go on unsustainable streaks (Chabot, EP) and everyone claims they're godlike, but Matthews can do the same and he's overrated and he's the only one who will slow down. Never change HF.

So you're saying that Matthews' streak is unsustainable?

Who in here is saying that Chabot's production is sustainable?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Everyone knows Matthews is elite, i dont see anyone arguing that, its leaf fans that are saying Chabot is a flash in the pan. Also the unsustainable streaks you are comparing arent really all that similar. Matthews had 14 points in 6 games, Chabot has 20 over 15. No I dont think Chabot is going to score 110 points but its not like he isnt capable of 70. I dont think anyone thought Matthews was going to score 220 points but 100 is realistic.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Rielly is also on an unsustainable streak, or do you expect him to finish with close to 100 points? Obviously both players will slow down, but it's completely legitimate to think Chabot will be the better offensive player going forward.

Agree with you on the Pettersson vs. Matthews poll though. That was HF at it's finest.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Weird cause Chabot only has 6 pp points this season meaning most of his secondary assists are off a breakout or even strength inside the offensive zone.

I agree? You are arguing with me with the point I was trying to make I think.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
So you're saying that Matthews' streak is unsustainable?

Who in here is saying that Chabot's production is sustainable?

Yes, Matthews was wholly unsustainable. He was shooting at 50% for Christ's sake. My point was, Leafs fans on the main boards get flamed for hyping up their own player who was scoring at a 2 PPG pace and torching the league in goals for the first 10 games but everyone and their mom screamed unsustainable as opposed to when EP or Chabot do it and it's just rave reviews from every fan base. Conviction if I have ever seen in. Don't take this the wrong way. I am a massive fan of Chabot. I think he's the best young upcoming D in the NHL of the post 2015 draft guys. Nothing against him at all in my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad