Confirmed with Link: Chabot fired

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Better question ... what does it say when this organization does an about face on so many of their moves?

They just extended Chabot last summer, it's just now they realized he's terrible?

It speaks to their own lack of evaluation process.

**** Mac T, he is woefully unqualified and has no idea what he's doing.
This is the better question and one I'd like to see Mactavish answer in front of the cameras. It reminds me so much of Gagner's signing the year before.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Firing a bad goalie coach for a better one is laughable?

Can't just assume he's better, especially with zero experience in the NHL. There is always room to be worse in the most competitive hockey league in the world. Time will tell.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
The impact in minimal. Let's see Katz clean house fully, then I will be optimistic otherwise, same old same old.

DarksideGhost

Apr 9, 2014
Edmonton
Hopefully it's something intricate like this.

mightyducks3-1_display_image.jpg

lol! :laugh:

Glad Chabot is gone, but I have no faith in his replacement. Seems like another guy that has some connections in the city and never did anything as a pro.

Look at teams like LA and Arizona. They hire proven NHL winners as goalie coaches and get great results. We hire our buddies from around town and then drag out firing them because we like them as friends. Oilers problem in a nutshell.

Oilers Mgt never look outside of Edmonton for help... I never understand why?!
Kaz could of send a truck load over to Dominik Hasek, Curtis Joseph, Or even Mike Richter to be come Goalie Coach.

So they're just gonna hand the job to the Oil Kings goalie coach?

Can we ****ing interview someone for once please?

lol! Oilers don't do the interview process! :laugh:

Yeah, lol, Dubnyk's recent performance in Phoenix was probably the second to last straw. Getting scored on twice after the first two shots in the Chicago game en route to a subsequent blow out loss was probably the last straw.

No dude! He should of been fired the day Nashville Predators called out Edmonton's Goalie Coach for picking up bad habits. It took this long to get rid of him. :shakehead

@ShannonSzabados
So excited to see the @EdmontonOilers make the best decision ever by hiring goalie coach @dschwartz31! He's a game changer & best there is!!

Sounds like he worked with her. She is one of the if no the best female goaltender around. Sounds like an internal hire of a guy who know what he is doing a bit

True..... I'll give this new oil king goalie coach 2 NHL years before asking for see how far Ben progressed.

marc-crawford-tweet.jpg

Guaranteed he probably jump on the job if asked, lol.

To be honest since this season is a wash anyway, if the Oilers are actually still even interested in possibly improving (versus tanking), I'd hire him after Christmas (firing Eakins) for the remainder of the year.

If he can show improvement with the club I'd consider hiring him. He has developed some impressive offensive talent under his watch.

When Eakins gets fired, I would hire two head coaches: iron mike keenan, and marc-crawford. Like what they did with Pat Quinn (God rest his soul) and Tom Renney in the past. Mike and Marc are proven NHL coach and both have great success winning the CUP.:yo::handclap:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Let me guess not tough enough, nobody jumped in after the Draisaitl hit, not enough compete, but dont fire the coach or even talk about management.
I didn't hear it either but you're probably bang on. Gregor never has a problem with the coaching.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I doubt that this was a spin the ball decision and that any other heads were in play or were gonna roll.

lol moment with Dubs coming here and stoning the Oilers at home. What an omfg you're fired instance. Not even the Oilers I guess could completely ignore the portent of that indelible illustration.

I wonder if either Scrivens or Fasth have said anything.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Gregor was saying how its inevitable that the coach will be fired but questions if bylsma would come. That even if a coach would take over what good would it be if the players aren't cohesive. Also talked about no one stood up (about the Draisaitl hit) including Drai.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
To be fair maybe they did. We don't know everything they do behind closed doors.

Exactly. Sometimes people are looking for another job and don't want their current bosses to know. The team wanted a replacement ready for the day they canned Chabot. Yet another valid reason for keeping the search for a new goalie coach quiet.

What's the big deal with the team publicly proclaiming their interviewing process for a goalie coach?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Gregor was saying how its inevitable that the coach will be fired but questions if bylsma would come. That even if a coach would take over what good would it be if the players aren't cohesive.
A good experienced coach might be able to help smarten up the players or have the balls to ask for one to be traded.

RattsSSV

May 4, 2006
A good experienced coach might be able to help smarten up the players or have the balls to ask for one to be traded.

True, however being the middle of the season its tough to get a good one. Plus management is in full suck mode for McJesus.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
yay, Chabot is finally gone! should have happened in the off season though. unfortunately, Chabot seems to have a habit of teaching the goalies to go down too early, leaving the opposition to shoot high and score, just like what was happening to Dubnyk last year.

member 145483

yay, Chabot is finally gone! should have happened in the off season though. unfortunately, Chabot seems to have a habit of teaching the goalies to go down too early, leaving the opposition to shoot high and score, just like what was happening to Dubnyk last year.

I question if this is just Chabot.

Funny things...Scrivens worked with Schwartz during the summer. I have been told, but unable to verify, that Dubnyk worked with him during the 2013 off season.

If that Dubnyk part is true, we may have just fired half, of a bad coaching tandem, and promoted the other.

RattsSSV

May 4, 2006

I recall Dubnyks interview saying how Burke has him staying up as long as possible before making a play. Hopefully Schwartz is a proponent of it.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Well I hope Schwartz does well.

The optics don't look good but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Can't be much worse than Chabot.

Oilers93

Apr 27, 2012
Edmonton
Normally i'd be happy about something like this happening, but hiring someone that works for a Daryl Katz owned team with (likely) no exploring for other options is the most "Oilers" thing they could have done. Only time will tell if Schwartz is the right guy for the job, but this endless cronyism showed by this team is getting frustrating.

The regression our goalies experienced under Chabot is well documented so I doubt it can possibly get much worse, but I'd have rather seen a more experienced goalie coach/former NHL goalie take his place

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I question if this is just Chabot.

Funny things...Scrivens worked with Schwartz during the summer. I have been told, but unable to verify, that Dubnyk worked with him during the 2013 off season.

If that Dubnyk part is true, we may have just fired half, of a bad coaching tandem, and promoted the other.
Scrivens said he only worked with Schwartz a couple of times this summer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Let me guess not tough enough, nobody jumped in after the Draisaitl hit, not enough compete, but dont fire the coach or even talk about management.

Yep, though he basically conceded Eakins will be fired sooner or later, 30 some wins in your first 100+ games isn't good enough, etc.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yet another case of the Oilers realizing something that everyone else realized long ago.

This will make the team play better, no doubt about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad