Confirmed with Link: Chabot fired

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 3m3 minutes ago
Scrivens says he feels responsibility for Chabot being let go, calls it a terrible day. He has spent a few summers training w/ Schwartz.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Some of you are overreacting a little on this whole "pro experience" ideology. There are plenty of coaches around the pro ranks who never had any themselves yet understand the game better then players with 10+ years experience.

How many times have we seen past NHL players get canned cause they can't coach?

Goaltending these days is as much athleticism as it is a science. For those that have played (or play) the position it's about studying, fundamentals and a lot of repetition.

Time will tell how Schwartz does but he's had pretty decent success at the Junior level. I don't buy into this nonsense of pro-experience...more so actual years experience. If Schwartz has been working with goalies of today (Hybrid/blocking/whatever) then give him a shot.

Goaltending hasn't been great but it's just the tip of the iceberg to our glaring holes playing defensive hockey and more importantly showing some heart. To me that falls on our Head Coach and it's staff.

Anybody that knows the first thing about coaching understands that the messenger is just as important as the message.

Regardless of credentials, people might be more willing to give somebody "a shot" before judging if they believed there was a professional approach to finding and hiring the best available candidate.

Now, I'm not a 'fire Lowe' guy because I think he doesn't know anything about hockey. I happen to think he's a good hockey mind. I'm also not a 'fire Lowe' guy because he has been around for years. I happen to think his loyalty and devotion to this city and this organization exceeds any of the other 'star' type players from the dynasty years and that is something to appreciate and applaud. I'm also not a 'fire Lowe' guy because I think he's secretly pulling strings and is essentially the GM in the shadows. I think both Tambo and MacT have been given the power to make the moves they want to make (hell, Lowe would never have sat on his hands like Tambo did).

However, for the first time, I'm starting to think I might be a 'fire Lowe' kind of guy because I'm worried that this run has created something of a siege mentality where criticism/outside thinking is viewed as a threat. I might be a 'fire Lowe' kind of guy because standard professional procedures aren't followed when it comes to hiring practices with this organization. Now, I think MacT is and will be a good GM. I think he made a stupid decision with Eakins but I think he's otherwise in an untenable position from a personnel position where he's really got sweet FA to work with to make changes without blowing up the core. But the way he was hired (nobody else interviewed) and that this practise seems to have continued, concerns me greatly.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Schwartz coached two guys for the Oil Kings who were fantastic goal tenders. One got us a memorial cup, the other got us to conference titles and a chance at the memorial cup.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
JJt1MyU.png

McDeathbyCheerios*

Scrivens says he feels responsibility for Chabot being let go, calls it a terrible day. He has spent a few summers training w/ Schwartz.
Then maybe he will play better.

Teams can surprisingly turn around when a coach is fired. Didn't it happen to a team last year? Wasn't it Philly?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

Id also like to hear the comments of Khabby, Bryz, Labarbara, Fasth. I wonder if they all feel terrible or there is genuinely something wrong with the top.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
WHY wouldn't you want someone with high nhl experience to coach? There are things and thoughts that only a quality nhl guys knows in his head to pass on.

Wasn't this guy a complete failer on the WHL level as a player? Disappointed if this is true.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Schwartz coached two guys for the Oil Kings who were fantastic goal tenders. One got us a memorial cup, the other got us to conference titles and a chance at the memorial cup.

And following a proper, professional process of seeking, interviewing and choosing the best candidate, maybe Schwartz would have been the right choice. We'll never know.

McDeathbyCheerios*

And following a proper, professional process of seeking, interviewing and choosing the best candidate, maybe Schwartz would have been the right choice. We'll never know.
To be fair. Maybe they are using Schwartz as they look for a new guy instead of riding Chabot out.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Gatta give the new guy a chance, but as far as goalie coaches go WHY wouldn't you want someone with high nhl experience to coach? There are things and thoughts that only a quality nhl guys knows in his head to pass on.
I am honestly thinking they wanted Chabot gone and rather run with Schwartz as they hunt for a new guy rather then Chabot or nothing

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Glad Chabot is gone. Rather unhappy that the nepotism continues. Rather than actually get off their ***** and look for someone who could do something, they hire someone within the organization. What a wasted opportunity to show the fans that they care about winning.

Schwartz has done fine with the kids but how are NHL goalies going to react when someone who hasn't made it to the show and isn't much older than them is telling them what to do.

Poor move.
As was pointed out earlier, it's not a case of nepotism:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nepotism

People can stop throwing that word around now that everyone can see what it actually means...this board sometimes.

What you're looking for in a word here in your complaint is "cronyism":
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cronyism?s=t

Last edited by a moderator:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I kind of laughed at that line.

Jun 9, 2011

Bingo! It was actually a move suggested by some of us posters on here. I don't know if this is permanent, but I really believe it is an improvement.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
To be fair. Maybe they are using Schwartz as they look for a new guy instead of riding Chabot out.

Maybe. And I'll be happy if that is the case. I'll retract my stated concerns about their hiring without following a professional process.

But I think you and I would both be very surprised to find out they've applied the 'interim' tag to this hiring while they search for the best possible candidate.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Dubnyk only naturally progressed the same way all inexperienced players eventually get better, and even then he never cleaned up his major faults while he was here.

At the very least, we shouldn't let the fear of making the wrong action prevent us from acting at all. By your logic no one should be fired. Even Eakins might do amazingly well somewhere else. Maybe it's the players' fault. Maybe it's the President. Maybe it's the coach. Who knows? If we're talking about goalies and how EVERY SINGLE ONE has regressed here, let's just separate the other pressing issues on the team from this one and say that the goalie coach should be held accountable and it is a good thing he was (eventually).

Not saying no one should be fired, I think everyone should be fired here. We're tied for last with a $70.5M team. I just find it ridiculous that Oilers management are trying to pin the start of another failed season on Chabot. This does not come close to an acceptable amount of change to answer for 1.25 seasons of across the board regression with pretty much all our players. All of the regression, player and goalie, happened with Eakins as coach, so I am looking forward to seeing how Chabot does somewhere else.

We don't have a player in the top 65 of league scoring, is there a coach around that wasn't hired under MacT's reign that we can fire for skater regression now too?

Last edited:

McDeathbyCheerios*

Not saying no one should be fired, I think everyone should be fired here. We're tied for last with a $70.5M team. I just find it ridiculous that Oilers management are trying to pin the start of another failed season on Chabot. This does not come close to an acceptable amount of change to answer for 1.25 seasons of across the board regression with pretty much all our players. All of the regression, player and goalie, happened with Eakins as coach, so I am looking forward to seeing how Chabot does somewhere else.
How are they trying to pin it on him? They fired him cause he ducked. Simple as that

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
How are they trying to pin it on him? They fired him cause he ducked. Simple as that

If they do nothing else in the next month, then this is them trying to pin the failed start on Chabot. Same as how they blamed Dubs for the start last year. You don't see the pattern in how Lowe and his friends operate yet? They hide and offer up little sacrifices to appease the fans. Lowe really has no choice but to do that now because he knows his time should have been done years ago.

Last edited:

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
Guy Flaming @TPS_Guy · 39m 39 minutes ago
Most know that he was goalie coach for the @EdmOilKings but @dschwartz31 has worked with @HockeyCanada and many top pro/junior goalies too.

A little bit more info on the new goalie coach. I don't mind the hire completely but what really puts me off is there is no sort of evidence of any searching or interview process.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Dallas Eakins says he's part of the team now when asked if he was interm or not. So it sounds to me that he's here to stay. Not a fan AT ALL, but lets see what happens with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad