Confirmed with Link: Chabot fired

McDeathbyCheerios*

I don't know of why people say there was no interview process. For all we know they were wanting to replace Chabot for a few weeks and instead of firing him and having no coach at all, they found someone first.

Fact is we don't know, so let's stop freaking out about it

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I don't have a huge issue with the new golaie coach being a rookie. You just can't find guys mid season often.

The huge issue is that once again the front office has proven it is not even as smart as the average oiler fourm fan and have absolutely no long range plan, just going from one decisions to another in the short term with each new decisions costing them resources whether they be in terms of dollars or player assets.

MacT is an even worse gm than I imagined he would be. And as for the big Perron heist, don't look now but the 2nd rounder we handed to st louis is looking like the best player in the QMJHL and one of the top players in all of junior hockey.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't know of why people say there was no interview process. For all we know they were wanting to replace Chabot for a few weeks and instead of firing him and having no coach at all, they found someone first.

We have no way of knowing for a while if this was a good hiring or not. There are two big issues here though. Firstly, why Chabot was extended last summer when there was already plenty of evidence that he shouldn't have been. To fire him now makes fans wonder what the team was thinking back then.

Secondly, there have been plenty of problems with the people this team has hired without any experience. You can't deny any of that. Let's also not forget about what happened this training camp with the Tkachev signing. Seems that was traced back to the rookie Assistant GM. How have the inexperienced GM and Head Coach done here?

Fans would feel a lot better about this organization if they started filling these positions with people that have a proven track record. If for no better reason than optics now. This organization has lost the benefit of the doubt with these kind of hires. For a guy who posts on this board as often as you do you should understand this as well as anybody.

All this said, I wish Dustin Schwartz success and the best of luck. I'm rooting for his success.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton

Oh okay! :D

Yeah, just another coincidence people! Nothing to see here. Just so happens to be another 'internal' hiring, nothing more!

Edit:

First we'll extend his contract in the summer then fire him midseason and hire internally! That's how professionals do it in upper management in the NHL!

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Nashville & Calgary both recent promoted CHL guys to the NHL ranks of goalie coaching...

That's different tho. They have a healthy mix of proven coaches... not a bunch of rookies hired internally via upper management/coaches brought in by a buddy system with no interviews! :laugh:

All starts and ends with Lowe! Well Katz but yeah, Lowe!

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It's funny how a week ago, everyone was saying we should hire him, but when we actually do, it's an "internal hire", and everyone is all pissed off. Make up your minds :laugh:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

:shakehead

Freak out? Who the hell is freaking out?

This is an open forum for people to post their thoughts and ideas.

There is no possible way the Management group went through any type of professional process in their hiring. All they did was pick an Edmonton dude who has coached for their Junior team. Just another example of management hiring their cronies. Show me the list of people that they interviewed.

Better yet, I'll wager my Avatar that you cannot come up with a list. And you cannot provide any proof that the interview process was performed with multiple coaches.

The proof is in the pudding.

Oh yeah, and one other thing:

:sarcasm:

:D

HometownHockey

Oilers insult fans and embarrass themselves with firing

Howson_MacT_Lowe_L.jpg

With their fans still reeling from watching the Edmonton Oilers get destroyed on national television by the Chicago Blackhawks, expecting Craig MacTavish to come out and address what appears to be yet another wasted season in the Alberta capital did not seem to be asking too much. While many would have loved for the GM to come out and announce the firing of Dallas Eakins or some sort of massive trade, neither was ever going to happen. Instead they were handed the firing of goaltending coach Frederic Chabot. Come again?

READ MORE, HometownHockey.ca...
http://www.hometownhockey.ca/hockey/EDM0167.php

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Not sure if posted somewhere, but this is a good read theorizing how the team can affect sav % and how Edmonton has been leaving their goalies out to dry (relating to the Eakins coaching time frame).

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/in-the-nhl-save-percentage-is-a-team-stat/

Even in Edmonton, his (Scrivens) save percentage on clean shots is +.011 above expected, but his exposure to high-quality opportunities in the form of cross crease passes has buried him. In Edmonton, Scrivens is facing 30 to 40 more difficult shots per 1,000 than he was in Los Angeles, or even Toronto.

Ultimately the Oilers’ struggles cost goalie coach Frederic Chabot his job. But the real reason Scrivens’s save percentage is below .900 is porous defensive zone coverage. When running the data for just 2014-15, Scrivens has an expected success rate of .903. Only 82 percent of the shots he has faced are ones in which he could set his depth and angle. The Bruins register 88 percent.

This is environment at work not goaltending ability. How is it possible to have any confidence when you can’t stop pucks thanks to the impossible equations being thrown your way? Desperation can cause goalies to lose confidence in their process and start chasing the game. Instead of hanging in for shots, they cheat because they’ve lost trust in ther teammates. The same thing can benefit goalies in a controlled environment. Jonathan Quick and Tim Thomas use more aggressive depths because they’re not concerned with backside pressure—they trust their teammates. It snowballs in both directions.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The premise of that article is just silly. Everyone knew Chabot had to go. He was ruining every goaltender that put on the uniform.

But I just need to add...

You've got Anaheim and Los Angeles. Two divisional rivals of the Oilers and powerhouses in their own right. In Anaheim we saw Fredrik Andersson and John Gibson emerge enough to allow them to let Jonas Hiller walk to free agency.

In LA, John Quick is one of the league's best and most consistent tenders. Martin Jones emeged as a viable 1B and solid backup in Quick's absence last season.

We took the third strings from two divisional rivals and we're shocked that we're struggling?

I reiterate--Chabot had to go. But really, MacT? That was the plan?

Once again our professional scouting has put us behind the eight-ball. But hey, we saved some money, right?

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
Nashville & Calgary both recent promoted CHL guys to the NHL ranks of goalie coaching...

When you consistently get results, you're not likely to have your decisions second guessed. On the other hand, when your track-record benefits from being accompanied by yakety sax people are going to question.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
We took the third strings from two divisional rivals and we're shocked that we're struggling?

I reiterate--Chabot had to go. But really, MacT? That was the plan?

Once again our professional scouting has put us behind the eight-ball. But hey, we saved some money, right?

What's the option - asking Los Angeles for Martin Jones or Jonathan Quick?

Trying to trade for Andersen or Gibson from Anaheim?

I guess there's Martin Brodeur out there....

member 145483

We could try improving our defense, rather than continuing to blame our goalies.

Personally, I think we could easily make Quick or Lundqvist look like garbage, let alone the likes of Andersen or Gibson.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
We could try improving our defense, rather than continuing to blame our goalies.

Personally, I think we could easily make Quick or Lundqvist look like garbage, let alone the likes of Andersen or Gibson.

I'm the other way...I think if the Oilers obtained a top level goalie it would make a huge, huge difference to the confidence of this team. They have a way of covering up so many sins.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Never heard of this guy until we hired him.
Are you big into the inner goalie coach circles? You are right he isn't a big household named former NHL goalie. But how would a goalie that played 20 years ago relate to a goalie today. And Dustin Schwartz is a fairly well known goalie coach for people that actually follow that sort of thing and has been teaching young goalies for several years now. He has worked with Lyle Mast (LA kings goalie coach) and Bill Ranford for several years as well, they have a very specialized technical program they have been running for quite some time now, look no further than J. Quick and Bernier for success of their program.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What's the option - asking Los Angeles for Martin Jones or Jonathan Quick?

Trying to trade for Andersen or Gibson from Anaheim?

I guess there's Martin Brodeur out there....

How about assessing needs properly and taking that dumptruck full of money and driving it to the house of an established (or even semi-established) starting NHL goaltender instead of a depth winger?

Calgary got Hiller.
Vancouver got Miller.
NYI got Halak.

And look...three non-playoff teams are now comfortably in the playoff picture. Meanwhile our uber-intelligent scouts/management decided to build a starting goaltender out of the retreads of two division rivals.

Either one of those guys is a decent backup. But as a tandem, they give us the worst goaltending in the league. Pair that with a lack of proper coaching and an extremely weak prospect pool and you've got yourself one hell of a situation in Edmonton.

I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom, but seeing the recent turn of events, a lot of this has become very apparent.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I wonder if the Oilers thought that firing Chabot would take some heat off the team? Doesn't look like the fans are any happier.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I wonder if the Oilers thought that firing Chabot would take some heat off the team? Doesn't look like the fans are any happier.
Sure it would but it doesn't change the fact that both goalies were struggling and Dubnyk now looks rejuvenated elsewhere. Doesn't bode too well for their coach.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

And did the owner of Calgary or Nashville own the respective CHL teams where they hired these goalie coaches from?

capttim

Nov 11, 2014
Yet another soft hiring...

I don't get it... Finally fire the poor goalie coach... then hire another unproven coach.

They should have went after Bill Ranford, at least he could play goal, his family lives in BC, and he has been part of the LA team success.

MacT your hopeless as a GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3