Confirmed with Link: Chabot fired

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton
While this is long overdue and fantastic news, Eakins also needs to go.
Guaranteed we continue to fail spectacularly until we get a real head coach.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
To the person complaining about my use of the word nepotism. I know the word. In this case I was using it because there is a similarity between the organization and a family. I understand it isn't the literal use but it doesn't matter. Dictionaries don't give definitions but rather express how the word is used. And as you can see many people are using nepotism in exchange for cronyism.

The nepotism being displayed in this organization is unacceptable, say no to nepotism!

:handclap:

Last edited:

readynwilling

Jul 21, 2005
Firing Chabot sends a great message to the team.

Imagine Lowe in his Aston Marten and the engine light going on.

He quickly reaches for a pointed instrument and smashes the light.

Yep that will fix the problem.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Only several years too late

Hearing that the Oil Kings goalie is going to be replacing him. Why can't we ever get actual NHL staff with an NHL track record to fill NHL staff positions?

Edit: just read through the thread. Seems like we're all thinking the same thing

Nailed it.

This Schwartz guy didn't even play in a professional league and he's only 35. Would have preferred a goalie coach who has played in the NHL and is more experienced but this is the Oilers we are talking about here.

I heard he had an amazing interview with MacT, really knocked it out of the park.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The axe was quick to fall on Chabot when the rest realized how desperately they needed a scapegoat.

Axe was over him before the season started. He was kept just to be a scapegoat in case the season started bad again.

Now it's probably over Howson's head.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Fired after a homestand that included a game where Dubnyk owned the Oilers. I wonder how much that had to do with it.

McDeathbyCheerios*

@ShannonSzabados
So excited to see the @EdmontonOilers make the best decision ever by hiring goalie coach @dschwartz31! He's a game changer & best there is!!

Sounds like he worked with her. She is one of the if no the best female goaltender around. Sounds like an internal hire of a guy who know what he is doing a bit

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Fired after a homestand that included a game where Dubnyk owned the Oilers. I wonder how much that had to do with it.

Yeah, lol, Dubnyk's recent performance in Phoenix was probably the second to last straw. Getting scored on twice after the first two shots in the Chicago game en route to a subsequent blow out loss was probably the last straw.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Maybe. And I'll be happy if that is the case. I'll retract my stated concerns about their hiring without following a professional process.

But I think you and I would both be very surprised to find out they've applied the 'interim' tag to this hiring while they search for the best possible candidate.
Reid Wikins from CHED is saying this is a permanent hire, not an interim hiring.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Reid Wikins from CHED is saying this is a permanent hire, not an interim hiring.

mario_facepalm_by_toadmushroom95-d5zzajr.jpg

Maybe it works out but can we *EVER* properly interview experienced people for a ****ing job?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
@ShannonSzabados
So excited to see the @EdmontonOilers make the best decision ever by hiring goalie coach @dschwartz31! He's a game changer & best there is!!

Sounds like he worked with her. She is one of the if no the best female goaltender around. Sounds like an internal hire of a guy who know what he is doing a bit
She also would have worked with Chabot when she practiced for the Oilers last season. Seems she knows first-hand how bad he is. :sarcasm:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To be fair maybe they did. We don't know everything they do behind closed doors.

Better question ... what does it say when this organization does an about face on so many of their moves?

They just extended Chabot last summer, it's just now they realized he's terrible?

It speaks to their own lack of evaluation process.

**** Mac T, he is woefully unqualified and has no idea what he's doing.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I think the thing is, at the very top echelon of hockey (insert Oilers joke here), it's not like you're going to interview Joe Blow's off the street. You already know the people who are available for the job.

Now, extending Chabot just to fire him a few months later, that's where the clownshow is.

Muad'Dib

Jun 29, 2006
Arrakis
@ShannonSzabados

Ewanyk is also a fan of Schwartz

@T_Ewanyk
Huge congrats to @dschwartz31 on his new position with the Oil. Class act and one of the most fiery and competitive guy you'll meet.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com

As, I suspect, we all believed to be the case.

That being said, I'll be the first to wish him well. I do not hate this hire. I hate how he was hired.

I am not one of these "go off the map, hire people you don't know so it is outside the old boys club" people. I'd be the first to welcome back Huddy! But this approach of skipping the process and simply hiring the guy we know because we assume he's the best available is complete BS.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Firing a bad goalie coach for a better one is laughable?

Wasn't Eakins a "well he's gotta be better than Krueger tho" hire as well?

Lets keep the champange on ice until we actually know what we have here, he could be as bad (or gulp) worse than Chabot.

We now probably have the most inexperienced NHL coach and the most inexperienced goaltending coach in the league. Coaching a very inexperienced team.

But hey. In Lowe/Mac-T's logic land, this formula can't possibly backfire.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Wasn't he given a new contract in the off season as well as a vote of confidence by Mactavish? This coming after Dubnyk imploded. I want to hear Mac T's explanation on this one. Chabot deserves to be fired but he sure didn't deserve a new contract in the first place. Another example of Mactavish's brain being six months behind everyone else's.

Naturally, that's par for the course in this organization.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Wasn't Eakins a "well he's gotta be better than Krueger tho" hire as well?

Lets keep the champange on ice until we actually know what we have here, he could be as bad (or gulp) worse than Chabot.

We now probably have the most inexperienced NHL coach and the most inexperienced goaltending coach in the league. Coaching a very inexperienced team.

But hey. In Lowe/Mac-T's logic land, this formula can't possibly backfire.
The new guy has worked with other pro players in the off season. It sounds like they went to him in their free time which isn't a bad sign. I'll give him some time before I hate but this might be a good guy here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad