Confirmed with Link: Chabot fired

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Ken Hitchcock never played in a professional league either. Gretzky was the greatest player of all time. Who would you rather have coaching your team?

No kidding. Some great coaches had very mediocre NHL careers or no NHL careers at all, and some great NHL players have been disasters in off-ice roles. *cough*Esposito*cough*Gretzky*cough*Lowe*cough*cough*

McOilers4cup

Finally
Jul 14, 2007
High Hopes
@ShannonSzabados: So excited to see the @EdmontonOilers make the best decision ever by hiring goalie coach @dschwartz31! He's a game changer & best there is!!

Bangers

May 31, 2006
This is gonna change everything! (sarcasm)

A real organization would sack management, hire a new coach, and let him hire a new gk coach, but whatever... Eakins is safe! That's tge important thing.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Was the new guy already involved with the goalies? If so hes probably just as culpable.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
I hope this resonates with Fasth and Scrivens: you suck so bad the goalie coach had to be fired. Put some effort in.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This is putting me to sleep. Replacing him with a CHL goalie coach?

I wonder if I'll live to see us hire someone with experience.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Glad the move was made. I actually think this is a pretty signicant step in improving our team but it can't end here.

I want to see some turnover in our pro-scouts and the removal of Kevin Lowe as well. Keep Eakins until the end of the year and switch him for someone with more NHL experience.

Why would you keep someone when you know you are going to replace him at end of year?

Significant step? How about getting a real goalie instead of trying to coach backups.

It was a peace offering from management, nothing more.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
Heard Eakins comments about the booing after the game. Nice knowing Eakins thinks the oilers fan base is a bunch of drunks. He basically said the fans are booing because their drunk. What a jerk! I'm so glad he left the Leafs organization.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Is this the first time in NHL history that a fanbase actually gave a crap about a goalie coach?

When other fans around the league are worried that their team is giving up too many goals, is "fire the goalie coach" something that they spend a lot of time talking about?

Has Tyler Dellow come up with an advanced stat that we can use to measure goalie coach performance with? Coaching-Related Goaltender-Preventable Errors?

The amount of hand-wringing going on over this hire is pretty amusing.

If I were a conspiracy kook, I'd be wondering if it was the Oilers management who started astro-turfing concern about Chabot into message boards in the first place, so that people would think that this was a major move when the axe came down.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Is this the first time in NHL history that a fanbase actually gave a crap about a goalie coach?

When other fans around the league are worried that their team is giving up too many goals, is "fire the goalie coach" something that they spend a lot of time talking about?

Has Tyler Dellow come up with an advanced stat that we can use to measure goalie coach performance with? Coaching-Related Goaltender-Preventable Errors?

If I were a conspiracy kook, I'd be wondering if it was the Oilers management who started astro-turfing concern about Chabot into message boards in the first place, so that people would think that this was a major move when the axe came down.

It buys a week or 2 for Lowe and MacT, Eakins

Threw some meat to the hungry dogs.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
This is putting me to sleep. Replacing him with a CHL goalie coach?

I wonder if I'll live to see us hire someone with experience.

I don't know if he's the right guy or not, but whats wrong with promoting from CHL?

Nashville just hired Niagara IceDogs goaltending coach (miss him already). He produced Visentin and Moran.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Is it a form of irony that Schwartz is being critiqued on here by some fans for not having played the pro game, when many of us on here have no qualms about rendering our judgement about on-ice decisions that the coaches make, what the players do on the ice, and what the management team does, even though I'd say 99.99% of us have never played the NHL game or worked for an NHL team in a managerial capacity?

Not saying he's going to be great or anything, honestly who the hell knows. I just don't think it's fair to hold his lack of playing experience against him.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
back when they decided to skid the assistant coaches (months after the armchair GMs called for it.. again), i guess it never dawned on them to change out the goalie coach too, and have not only months to decide, but more candidates for the job.

just another example in a growing list of Oilers management being behind the curve and following what amateur nobodies had suggested long ago.

I swear to god, any number of us could do a better job than these clowns (and I'm not joking).

oh, and once again, no interviews. Just hand the job to a rookie from within.

If it wasn't so sad, it would be funny.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Is it a form of irony that Schwartz is being critiqued on here by some fans for not having played the pro game, when many of us on here have no qualms about rendering our judgement about on-ice decisions that the coaches make, what the players do on the ice, and what the management team does, even though I'd say 99.99% of us have never played the NHL game or worked for an NHL team in a managerial capacity?

Not saying he's going to be great or anything, honestly who the hell knows. I just don't think it's fair to hold his lack of playing experience against him.

Digger, I think it's more the optics of the Oilers seemingly again not even looking outside the organization for a hire.

Oct 30, 2011
goalie coaches work with individual players of all levels. sure, he's never worked exclusively with one nhl team's goaltenders, but i am not sure he should be considered a rookie goalie coach, though you could argue that he is young and is not a former nhl player(although not being a former player means he could have spent more time coaching)

edit : after some research , he seems pretty green

Last edited:

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Imagine if in the real world a manager re-signed an employee to a contract, then fired him for failure two months later. I get hockey is a bit different, but really; why wasn't this done in the off-season?

And the guy they hired, who is maybe the next big thing, why not slap an interim label on him because he's a local guy (JUNIOR) and you didn't interview anyone else.

Our team is seriously run by morons. They are firing people (Chabot) and trading players (Acton) to distract the fans now. There is no plan.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Imagine if in the real world a manager re-signed an employee to a contract, then fired him for failure two months later. I get hockey is a bit different, but really; why wasn't this done in the off-season?

And the guy they hired, who is maybe the next big thing, why not slap an interim label on him because he's a local guy (JUNIOR) and you didn't interview anyone else.

Our team is seriously run by morons. They are firing people (Chabot) and trading players (Acton) to distract the fans now. There is no plan.
Was there ever a plan? I thought it was all supposed to just work out.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
The comparisons between the eakins hiring and the schwartz hiring make no sense to me.

Schwartz has had a three year evaluation and interview process with the oilers and he actually helped form some great goaltenders for the oil kings.

Eakins was an unknown that won the job when mact fell in love with him and the pressure of knowing four other teams had bids on the guy offering hc duties

If Eakins was an unknown then other teams would not have been interested in him. He was highly regarded and did a good job with the Marlies. It was a calculated risk to get him, but fans use hindsight to make all their arguments and that is not fair.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton

Lol. Ho-lee ****.

After that whole thing that happened last year, you never know. This forums can be weird places haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad