Confirmed with Link: Chabot fired

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
This Schwartz guy didn't even play in a professional league and he's only 35. Would have preferred a goalie coach who has played in the NHL and is more experienced but this is the Oilers we are talking about here.

Ken Hitchcock never played in a professional league either. Gretzky was the greatest player of all time. Who would you rather have coaching your team?

By no means am I trying to defend what appears to be yet another hiring done internally (to some degree, EOK owned by Katz) without any type of interview process, but I'm also not going to claim its a bad hiring because of that. Obviously the selection process is an extension of what plagues the Oilers as an organization, but that doesn't automatically make this a bad hiring. Time will tell if this guy was ready to coach at the NHL level, at least the opportunity comes in a lost season where if it's yet another failed experiment, it possibly costs upper management their jobs and gets us a McEichel pick. That's win-win where I come from.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Chabot deserved to be fired, no doubt about that, but this seems like a case of appeasing the fanbase more than anything. As long as Lowe is still calling the shots, nothing will assuage my hate for management.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
The comparisons between the eakins hiring and the schwartz hiring make no sense to me.

Schwartz has had a three year evaluation and interview process with the oilers and he actually helped form some great goaltenders for the oil kings.

Eakins was an unknown that won the job when mact fell in love with him and the pressure of knowing four other teams had bids on the guy offering hc duties

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Yet another case of the Oilers realizing something that everyone else realized long ago.

This will make the team play better, no doubt about it.

^true, a lot of fans likely thought he should have been fired after last season, but he wasn't.

and now it's all on the goaltenders....now we'll see with Chabot gone, if we have the right 2 guys or not?

member 145483

Scrivens said he only worked with Schwartz a couple of times this summer.
'A couple of times' could easily be more one on one time than an NHL goalie coach ever gets with a dressed goalie.

Schwartz was also a 'goalie consultant' for the Saints when Scrivens was there. Which produced nothing more than an AHL goalie until Ranford corrected his technique.

Now, Schwartz may not be at fault, but these are valid reasons for questions/concerns.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Guy Flaming @TPS_Guy · 39m 39 minutes ago
Most know that he was goalie coach for the @EdmOilKings but @dschwartz31 has worked with @HockeyCanada and many top pro/junior goalies too.

A little bit more info on the new goalie coach. I don't mind the hire completely but what really puts me off is there is no sort of evidence of any searching or interview process.

But, but.....NEPOTISM!

:sarcasm:

McDeathbyCheerios*

The comparisons between the eakins hiring and the schwartz hiring make no sense to me.

Schwartz has had a three year evaluation and interview process with the oilers and he actually helped form some great goaltenders for the oil kings.

Eakins was an unknown that won the job when mact fell in love with him and the pressure of knowing four other teams had bids on the guy offering hc duties
This. Eakins was from another organization, Schwartz was a guy from within who did good work and improved. One gets a promotion after showing his worth the other was thrown in as an unknown. Goalie coaches and team coaches are completely different animals

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Glad Chabot is gone, but I have no faith in his replacement. Seems like another guy that has some connections in the city and never did anything as a pro.

Look at teams like LA and Arizona. They hire proven NHL winners as goalie coaches and get great results. We hire our buddies from around town and then drag out firing them because we like them as friends. Oilers problem in a nutshell.

Excuse me but with 6 stanley cup rings i think the Prez knows a thing or two about winning.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Some of you are overreacting a little on this whole "pro experience" ideology. There are plenty of coaches around the pro ranks who never had any themselves yet understand the game better then players with 10+ years experience.

How many times have we seen past NHL players get canned cause they can't coach?

Goaltending these days is as much athleticism as it is a science. For those that have played (or play) the position it's about studying, fundamentals and a lot of repetition.

Time will tell how Schwartz does but he's had pretty decent success at the Junior level. I don't buy into this nonsense of pro-experience...more so actual years experience. If Schwartz has been working with goalies of today (Hybrid/blocking/whatever) then give him a shot.

Goaltending hasn't been great but it's just the tip of the iceberg to our glaring holes playing defensive hockey and more importantly showing some heart. To me that falls on our Head Coach and it's staff.

That's great and all, but do you have any confidence whatsoever of this management team finding somebody with no experience who is competent? Seems like they just up and hired the first person they could think of in the organization.

I gave the benefit of the doubt to the rookie GM, and look how that went.
I gave the benefit of the doubt to the rookie Coach, and look how that went.

Who can honestly feel good about anything these guys do, let alone hire yet another rookie, whom is in the organization without interviewing candidates outside of this toxic environment?

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I feel like the oilers could have at least had an interview process or considered other options. It seems like the move was just a quick switch to quiet some of the fans by changing an area that has been bad this season. But to just quickly bring in the goalie coach from another organization owned by the team seems like too easy of a move. I can't see it bringing alot of positive change.

How much can a new coach really improve these two goalies? The goaltenders skill and the play of the defence in front of them is what needs to be addressed.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
About time 32 games nhl experience is fired. Not sure how the new guy will do, but if he teaches Scrivens/Fasth or future goalies to stay up on their feet longer, than I'll be a bit more satisfied. One idiot fired. More to go.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
MacT can't blame the goalies anymore because he hired them. Step two is to fire the goaltending coach. After 100+ games of losing, losing, getting shut out, getting blown out, and losing. What an impatient man he is.

His greatest achievement in his coaching/mgmt career is ripping the tongue out of Harvey the Hound's mouth.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
MacT can't blame the goalies anymore because he hired them. Step two is to fire the goaltending coach. After 100+ games of losing, losing, getting shut out, getting blown out, and losing. What an impatient man he is.

His greatest achievement in his coaching/mgmt career is ripping the tongue out of Harvey the Hound's mouth.

Mact cant really blame anyone right now. Hes changed out the whole roster, 15 players, has changed out the coaching staff.

Hes made this team worse since taking over. Thats bold.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton

Butane Fan

Jan 29, 2013
Cowtown
One down few more to go. The scouting department needs an overhaul we have scouts that are supposed to bring us players. They are bringing in projects. Pro and amateur we have had some serious misses. Picking High is great but we need to get some diamonds in later rounds that's where the value is. That is why I say onto the scouting dept.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Too little, too late.

With all due respect to his replacement, who I know nothing about (other than the Oil Kings have seemed to have good goalie performance in the last few years), it always seems like they're ill prepared for these coach firings and they time them on a reaction, rather than when they have the replacement they want lined up. Did Schwartz just suddenly become available? No, obviously this is entirely a function of the losing streak. So there's no plan being executed here, no upgrade, just a knee jerk reaction.

Is Schwartz, the best guy they could get on short notice, going to have a significant impact on the goalie coaching going forward, or is he just a warm body and the next in line? We all know.

The important question is, when do you fire Eakins? Right now? Nope. He just sits there while you search out a WAY better coach, and then you let him go. The Oilers could go on a 5 game winning streak, and then Eakins gets fired because the guy they wanted just became available. That's how you actually run a successful organization. Let's just hope he's a dead man walking and the shopping has begun; Chabot is a sacrifice. Allow me to please go ahead and pretend that's what's actually happening here, for my own sanity.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Lets keep the champange on ice until we actually know what we have here, he could be as bad (or gulp) worse than Chabot.

Well how is anybody going to evaluate this?

I mean, if we are still giving up 3.5 goals per game in the next 20 games, are people going to say "this Schultz guy isn't working out, we should have hired a better goalie coach"?

I'm ok with firing Chabot, because there's no evidence that he was good at his job and lots of circumstantial evidence that he wasn't good at his job.

But unless Dustin Schultz can magically transform Scrivens and Fasth into Dryden and Tretiak, we are going to continue to have the worst GAA in the NHL. That's not going to change until the team defense improves dramatically.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
So we have the goaltending coach equivalent of Dallas Eakins? Amateur success, zero pro in all facets of his career?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad