Confirmed with Link: Chabot fired

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Who in their right mind would return a call from Mac-T or Kevin Lowe about a job.

Until we flush upper management, we are going to have to settle for people just looking to either break into the league or guys who are incredibly desperate to get back into the league.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Interesting that they announced this, I can't remember hearing about too many mid-season goalie coach firings.

Regarding Scrivens, his problem in Toronto was that he kept his glove up at a ridiculous angle, not that he left it down. He's still holding his glove here like he did in LA.

483824373.jpg

Scrivens-for-Interview-4.jpg

Not saying Chabot was doing a good job, just that I've noticed some people stating that Chabot let Scrivens revert back to what he was doing with his glove in Toronto, which is not true.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Who in their right mind would return a call from Mac-T or Kevin Lowe about a job.

Until we flush upper management, we are going to have to settle for people just looking to either break into the league or guys who are incredibly desperate to get back into the league.

marc-crawford-tweet.jpg

Guaranteed he probably jump on the job if asked, lol.

To be honest since this season is a wash anyway, if the Oilers are actually still even interested in possibly improving (versus tanking), I'd hire him after Christmas (firing Eakins) for the remainder of the year.

If he can show improvement with the club I'd consider hiring him. He has developed some impressive offensive talent under his watch.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Glad Chabot is gone. Rather unhappy that the nepotism continues. Rather than actually get off their ***** and look for someone who could do something, they hire someone within the organization. What a wasted opportunity to show the fans that they care about winning.

Schwartz has done fine with the kids but how are NHL goalies going to react when someone who hasn't made it to the show and isn't much older than them is telling them what to do.

Poor move.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I realize that people are joking about this being a "nothing" move in light of the current situation but this is really good news IMO........it should have happened in the summer but what else is new with this franchise.

Chabot was terrible........

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Glad Chabot is gone. Rather unhappy that the nepotism continues. Rather than actually get off their ***** and look for someone who could do something, they hire someone within the organization. What a wasted opportunity to show the fans that they care about winning.

Schwartz has done fine with the kids but how are NHL goalies going to react when someone who hasn't made it to the show and isn't much older than them is telling them what to do.

Poor move.

Exactly. We actually hired someone with less experience than the failure Chabot when we had first hired him.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
So they're just gonna hand the job to the Oil Kings goalie coach?

Can we ****ing interview someone for once please?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Should check if Kipprusoff would coach haha He lives in Calgary IIRC anyway

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Interesting that they announced this, I can't remember hearing about too many mid-season goalie coach firings.

Regarding Scrivens, his problem in Toronto was that he kept his glove up at a ridiculous angle, not that he left it down. He's still holding his glove here like he did in LA.

483824373.jpg

Scrivens-for-Interview-4.jpg

Not saying Chabot was doing a good job, just that I've noticed some people stating that Chabot let Scrivens revert back to what he was doing with his glove in Toronto, which is not true.

Now I don't watch his glove closely so you could be very right, but if we're talking about Chabot letting Scrivens revert back causing his regression, then I think we need a better pic to prove it. That pic is of Scrivens from last year, after he got his new mask. He was playing pretty well then.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Glad the move was made. I actually think this is a pretty signicant step in improving our team but it can't end here.

I want to see some turnover in our pro-scouts and the removal of Kevin Lowe as well. Keep Eakins until the end of the year and switch him for someone with more NHL experience.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Finally. Now hire someone competent. I assume the role was filled temporarily. But with this team, assumptions are always making us look like *****.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
As far as our goalies go. We all know the major weaknesses of Scrivens and Fasth.

Scrivens can't handle the puck and gives up too many rebounds. When he does give up rebounds they also seem to go right into the slot and not in the corner. Fasth on the other hand needs to stay healthy and plays too far into his net.

If Chabot had all offseason to work with these guys, you would think that these areas would be improved upon since last season and not look that much worse.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
How long until we're talking about how good Chabot is doing on another team? He might be terrible, but he was here (since 2009) as Dubs improved his game right up until Eakins joined the circus. I guess we shall see, but would anyone really be surprised to hear Chabot having success on another team down the road?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So they're just gonna hand the job to the Oil Kings goalie coach?

Can we ****ing interview someone for once please?

We don't know any specifics of what this situation is. Maybe we did interview a lot of people and this was the best candidate. Maybe Schwartz is just an interim guy and we're going to be interviewing people.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
We don't know any specifics of what this situation is. Maybe we did interview a lot of people and this was the best candidate. Maybe Schwartz is just an interim guy and we're going to be interviewing people.

I'd be willing to bet $1000 that they didn't interview anybody else and that they do not intend to interview anybody else.

If you don't interview for the GMs job, why would you go to all that work with something trivial (by comparison) as the goaltending coach?

Phrost

Jul 14, 2004
Edmonton
www.hotstickybun.com
Some of you are overreacting a little on this whole "pro experience" ideology. There are plenty of coaches around the pro ranks who never had any themselves yet understand the game better then players with 10+ years experience.

How many times have we seen past NHL players get canned cause they can't coach?

Goaltending these days is as much athleticism as it is a science. For those that have played (or play) the position it's about studying, fundamentals and a lot of repetition.

Time will tell how Schwartz does but he's had pretty decent success at the Junior level. I don't buy into this nonsense of pro-experience...more so actual years experience. If Schwartz has been working with goalies of today (Hybrid/blocking/whatever) then give him a shot.

Goaltending hasn't been great but it's just the tip of the iceberg to our glaring holes playing defensive hockey and more importantly showing some heart. To me that falls on our Head Coach and it's staff.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
How long until we're talking about how good Chabot is doing on another team? He might be terrible, but he was here (since 2009) as Dubs improved his game right up until Eakins joined the circus. I guess we shall see, but would anyone really be surprised to hear Chabot having success on another team down the road?

Dubnyk only naturally progressed the same way all inexperienced players eventually get better, and even then he never cleaned up his major faults while he was here.

At the very least, we shouldn't let the fear of making the wrong action prevent us from acting at all. By your logic no one should be fired. Even Eakins might do amazingly well somewhere else. Maybe it's the players' fault. Maybe it's the President. Maybe it's the coach. Who knows? If we're talking about goalies and how EVERY SINGLE ONE has regressed here, let's just separate the other pressing issues on the team from this one and say that the goalie coach should be held accountable and it is a good thing he was (eventually).

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton

I don't disagree with this, but he couldn't stay. He was a part of the problem here, new blood can only be a good thing.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Wonder what eldon "pokey" reddick is doing these days. In fact im shocked he hasnt been contacted yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad