Confirmed with Link: Chabot fired

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Good move but doesn't fix this organizations real issues. Time to fire from the top down for once. If we are always having to fire guys at the bottom end of the operations it means the guys at the top are doing something wrong, over and over again.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Glad Chabot is gone, but I have no faith in his replacement. Seems like another guy that has some connections in the city and never did anything as a pro.

Look at teams like LA and Arizona. They hire proven NHL winners as goalie coaches and get great results. We hire our buddies from around town and then drag out firing them because we like them as friends. Oilers problem in a nutshell.

Exactly. This hiring is just another symptom of the real problem.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
what kind of drills does he do?

More emphasis on tracking the puck and reading and reacting opposed to blocking which Chabot seems to prefer (more of an Allaire school of goalie coaching), hence you saw why DD and now Ben are dropping sooner than they are with other teams....

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
dominoes!

seriously, this guy should've been canned last year..but MacT needed a scapegoat in case things went south this year...predictably they did and Chabot is sacrificed to appease the masses and buy management time...

GloomyHomelyAmericanbobtail.gif

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Glad to see this as I don't think we've had a goalie improve under him, but he is only one of many issues here. A step in the right direction.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Only several years too late

Hearing that the Oil Kings goalie is going to be replacing him. Why can't we ever get actual NHL staff with an NHL track record to fill NHL staff positions?

Edit: just read through the thread. Seems like we're all thinking the same thing

Good move but doesn't fix this organizations real issues. Time to fire from the top down for once. If we are always having to fire guys at the bottom end of the operations it means the guys at the top are doing something wrong, over and over again.

Nailed it.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Way, way, WAY over-due. It's truly amazing what it takes to get fired in this organization. This is a nice start, but still many more changes need to be made before I'm anywhere near satisfied with the coaching and management in place for this team.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This Schwartz guy didn't even play in a professional league and he's only 35. Would have preferred a goalie coach who has played in the NHL and is more experienced but this is the Oilers we are talking about here.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Nice try but I'm sure there are 6 or 7 more levels in there before we get to Lowe. Let's see if we can fix your list.

Rank the problems with this team:

1. Lowe
.a. Joey Moss
2. MacT
.a. Howson
.b. Buchberger (from whatever secret mission he is on)
3. Eakins
.a. the guy who fills the water bottles.
.b. skate sharpener
.c. physio therapist
.d. yoga instructor
4. Center
5. Defense
6. Scouting
7. Chabot - FIRED
8. Roster player related to coach - TRADED

It's a start.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
More nepotism. Lovely.

I wonder how many people they interviewed...

This Schwartz guy didn't even play in a professional league and he's only 35. Would have preferred a goalie coach who has played in the NHL and is more experienced but this is the Oilers we are talking about here.

Exactly right!

This organisation can't do anything right!

Good firing and a bad hiring!

How many pro games has Schwartz coached again? Zero! Yep!

:shakehead

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Only several years too late

Hearing that the Oil Kings goalie is going to be replacing him. Why can't we ever get actual NHL staff with an NHL track record to fill NHL staff positions?

Edit: just read through the thread. Seems like we're all thinking the same thing

Nailed it.

Because if you are Bill Ranford, Sean Burke, Mitch Korn, etc... why would you leave your current job, pack up your family, and head to Edmonton to do the same job you currently do? Katz would have to be willing to disrupt the entire pay structure of the Oilers management and/or the league to snag top-tier talent. I am not saying that would be a bad approach for the Oilers to take, and as of now it seems like the only way for Edmonton to attract top level talent.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Except Chabot was awful and didn't improve a single goaltender, just made them all worse.

Should have been fired in the summer. We only kept him to be a fall guy if the entire team failed yet again. We aren't here just because of Chabot and we should all know that.

For sure he was crap, but he should have been gone a long time ago. Just pointing out how this crooked management group operates and that no one should still be getting fooled by it. They likely actually think the fans are stupid enough that this is all they need to do to appease us.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
About ****ing time.

Let me guess though, this new goalie coach is a rookie?

ffs, reading through the thread, it seems as if he is. Why hire an experienced former NHL'er when you can install Chabot 2.0?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
More emphasis on tracking the puck and reading and reacting opposed to blocking which Chabot seems to prefer (more of an Allaire school of goalie coaching), hence you saw why DD and now Ben are dropping sooner than they are with other teams....

Thanks for your input Kayen.

Had to sift through a lot of noise in this thread but posts like this make that worthwhile.

So Schwartz emphasizes more of a stand up style? Does this not lend itself to being more reflex dependent?

Last edited:

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
It's a start.

I don't know enough about goalie coaching to know if this Schwartz guy a good hire.

The pessimist in me (i.e. me) tells me this is yet another coach with no NHL experience. Not playing, not coaching.

Also tells me that MacT still believes in the Scrivens-Fasth duo.

He's an Oil Kings guy, so I wonder whether the due diligence was given to finding the best possible replacement. It feels like cronyism still.

He worked with Brossoit, so MacT could be thinking way in the future as far as goalie-goalie coach success. Was it a possibility to look for coaches who've worked with Scrivens or Fasth before rather than a goalie who does not play for the Oilers right now?

Guess we'll see... all that being said, this is only the tip of the iceberg when trying to address the long list of problems with the organization.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would think they would eventually bring in someone more experienced at some point.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
This is perfect!

We hire a Junior Coach for our Junior goalies, and an AHL coach for our AHL team.

:)

Am I doing it right?

djlegacy

Nov 24, 2014
First sign Chabot to a new contract in summer 2014. Next fire him 2 months into the season. Replace him with another rookie coach with zero NHL experience who is also a member of the organization and without actually interviewing any other candidates. Yep, sounds about right for the Oilers management. Katz sure must enjoy paying salaries of coaches that don`t actually coach for the team.

This team is doomed to failure as long as they continue to repeat every single mistake that got them here in the first place.

Kruger, give a vote of confidence then fired two months later whether warranted or not.

Gagner, given a new three year deal with a NTC in the second and third year and a promise from Mactavish that he wouldn`t be traded in the first year. Traded before NTC kicks in.

Chabot, given a new deal when everyone and their dog could see there were issues with goaltending. Fired two months into the season. While warranted, this is a scapegoat move to save others.

You can live or die with your reputation and I`m not sure who would believe a word that comes out of Mactavish`s mouth.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I would think they would eventually bring in someone more experienced at some point.

And risk getting someone like Perron who is upset with the current culture?

GOD no! They need someone who fits right into this culture, and will not demand any accountability from the higher ups.

Its the Oiler Way!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes