Proposal: CGY Mega Rebuild thread: EDM/NYR/CHI/COL/VAN/TBL

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I would do the Cirreli offer sheet as it would mean we have the cap space to sign Sergachev and Cibak, plus restock the prospect pool.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Agree to disagree on that one, would much rather have Lindholm
It’s not just about which guy gets 30 goals vs 26. It’s about term. Having Lindholm locked in long term is not valuable to the Avs like it might be go another team. We’re not a free agent waste land like Ottawa or Buffalo. Guys will instruct their agents to call Sakic. The Avs will get a lot of at bats with that cap space. They need to keep their term and cap space flexibile. You’re arguing all the wrong points. You don’t see the forest thru the trees.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It's fun if there's a reasonable logic that people can kind of follow from different angles. If there isn't a reasonable logic to follow, everyone backs away slowly.

If I'm redoing this in a way that might be accepted by other teams but as a retool:
I'd do something like Monahan+ for Laine
Hanifin+ for a similar calibre RD and assume both Brodie and Hamonic are out.
Keep Rittich and let's overpay for Kuemper using our first (because I hate the idea but for the sake of fun and self torture, sure).

Then I'd completely screw with the line blender and roll:

Tkachuk - Backlund/Lindholm (this is a reasonable 1st line, probably around average)
Gaudreau - Bennett - Laine (this is a borderline 1st line, but a line that should feast on many 2nd lines.. think Kane/Panarin Anisimov lite)
Mangiapane - Dube - Ryan (this is a strong 3rd line with skill, speed and tenacity)
MEH (Who cares.. but I'd like to occasionally see Pellettier, Phillips and maybe Quine here?)

Gio - Andersson (Slightly below average 1st pairing)
Valimaki - RD (Should be average 2nd pairing)
Kylington - MEH (Should be average 3rd pairing)
MEH (honestly speaking, quite a few teams work with worse)

Kuemper (Should be adequate league average ish goaltending overall)
Rittich

This roster I think is more likely to be either super bad or super good and I think it would fit under the salary cap and I've attempted to address other teams needs and overpay by 10% or more for the player I want to get. It would probably be a roster with the farm sold off though.

It's not hard to do value losing trades for your team and have the other fan base say, "Start the car!", but the other fan bases participating are all basically saying, "No." Like I said, that's kinda of bizarre and almost impressive at the same time.

BSM for Liane would be a fun angle

The game was to trade everyone over 24 though, so I had to really try and find as many trades as possible. Some things are forces but that's the fun of it.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think you're WAY off on this one man. Like thats a really bad take.

Looks like the player eval mishaps are indeed the culprit for this disagreement
It isn’t i that is way off. I’m the one that gets this. Avs don’t need second line wingers on long term deals right now. That is the last objective they should have this offseason. They have several other more pressing needs (PK help and a defensive D man, maybe a goalie) they can address with cap space and trades. Your trade solves a problem that isn’t a problem. A solution to a problem the Avs don’t have. Will not addressing real problems but taking away picks and cap space that could. Hard pass. You didn’t think it thru enough.

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It’s not just about which guy gets 30 goals vs 26. It’s about term. Having Lindholm locked in long term is not valuable to the Avs like it might be go another team. We’re not a free agent waste land like Ottawa or Buffalo. Guys will instruct their agents to call Sakic. The Avs will get a lot of at bats with that cap space. They need to keep their term and cap space flexibile. You’re arguing all the wrong points. You don’t see the forest thru the trees.

Respectfully, I think this take is insane. Lets agree to disagree.

I see the whole forest but you're eating the mushrooms.

I really do appreciate different takes but there is nothing here to even work with

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Respectfully, I think this take is insane. Lets agree to disagree.

I see the whole forest but you're eating the mushrooms.

I really do appreciate different takes but there is nothing here to even work with
You are solving a non problem for the Avs. The Avs have real issues to address. Second line winger signed thru 2024 on a so so deal isn’t even in their top 20 needs. Use UFA. Fix their PK. Get them a defensive Dman, look at goal. Start there if you want to come up with trades that make sense.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Goes without saying, but Chicago says hell no. Seriously, this wasn’t good on Capfriendly, why would it be good here?

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
How are we supposed to fit in Gaudreau without shedding any salary? Not interested at all from an Oilers perspective.
I would do that actually. Gaudreau would fit nicely with our group and he is young enough to sign long term without concern. I would try to sign him long term next summer after the monster year he will have with Mcdavid otherwise flip him for more assets than we paid for him.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Goes without saying, but Chicago says hell no. Seriously, this wasn’t good on Capfriendly, why would it be good here?

The site it is on doesn't change how dumb somthing is lol, but it does help a lil (clearly not much) to do math. If anything I LOVE posting dumb stuff on there more. No one on here has a sense of humor.

Plus there is definitely an element of being forced to move out a lot of players that can make finding fits tough but I do think that swapping Strome and Backlund makes sense for both sides.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
So you say it's a fun exercise and then you go out of your way to try and make the Flames biggest rival better? You try to tank the team and then you give away the Flames 1st rounder? I don't do a single one of these trades for the Flames.

If the Flames are tearing down like this, we don't need a bunch of mediocre pieces. Better to get blue chip assets than a grab bag of nothing.

I think if you're not an Oilers fan, you really should be to propose Gaudreau to Edmonton. Makes me want to puke to even think about.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The Canucks trade seems conditional on the other trades...but count me in I guess.

Our GM has explicitly said we're not moving early picks is all though.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.gif

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Why is an Avs fan attempting to completely rebuild the Flames with ridiculously unrealistic proposals? I think it’s time to quit HFBoards until next season starts. This place is nuts.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
The site it is on doesn't change how dumb somthing is lol, but it does help a lil (clearly not much) to do math. If anything I LOVE posting dumb stuff on there more. No one on here has a sense of humor.

Plus there is definitely an element of being forced to move out a lot of players that can make finding fits tough but I do think that swapping Strome and Backlund makes sense for both sides.
I don’t see how a Strome/Backlund swap makes sense? The Hawks get older and take on more cap. They Hawks also have two way centers like Backlund in Dach and Toews already. Backlund is a decent player, but that’s a lot of money for what would be a 3C for us.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Love the fact you devise all these questionable (at best trades) to make the Flames "bad enough" to get a nice, early pick in the draft while simultaneously giving up the Flames' 1st rounder by offer-sheeting Cirelli.

Oh, and it's a big fat no from this Rangers fan.

Reactions: UnSandvich

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Love the fact you devise all these questionable (at best trades) to make the Flames "bad enough" to get a nice, early pick in the draft while simultaneously giving up the Flames' 1st rounder by offer-sheeting Cirelli.

Oh, and it's a big fat no from this Rangers fan.

Yeah, it's very favourable to the Lightning

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Still doesn't make sense.

But if it's fun you're after tinkering with the Flames roster, tell you what. Try this following scenario:

The big Flaming A holes.

I want the grinders, pests and the dirt bags of the league. Overpay for guys like Domi, Komarov, Perry, Kadri, Marchand, Benn, Lemieux, Mantha etc. and make it competitive by placing them alongside Kneeordano, Ratchuk, Boom boom Bennett etc. and rate it on a scale of Drew Doughty rent free aneurysms.

Even if the roster looks like it'll be a perennial bubble team, it'll still be fun to discuss how hated that team would be to play against?

Last edited:

Tempo

Jun 13, 2019
What a gong show of a thread. It's not everyday you can have fans from all 7 teams involved shaking their heads with a double face palm. :popcorn:

Anyway, Canucks ain't trading away their 1st and 2nd rounder in back to back years. :rolleyes:

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
You guys know the deal, CGY is AWFUL so we are going to completely blow it up. If you are a player of value 25 years or older you're OUTTA HERE. We gunna make a team of young kids, be bad for a few years and then run trail on the Pac. So without further adoooooo

(PS, this is a silly thread, so don't be a melvin saying it's unrealistic, like no duh. Make changes, offer alternatives, stick to the parameters)

Trade 1:
Edm: Bouchard, Lavoie
CGY: Gaudreau, EDM's 2020 3rd, Klyington

We getting McDavid some actual help boi's

As an Oiler fan I would say no.

Oilers would lose additional significant futures trying to clear room to fit Gaudreau’s cap hit in... for 2 years of Gaudreau? No.

In another thread we have an agreed upon value of Bouchard+Lavoie+14OA for Parayko + Alexandrov.

Oiler fans feel we would have an above average chance of re-signing Parayko to a fair deal in a couple years when he becomes a UFA.

Gaudreau, on the other hand, would likely pull a Playoff Johnny Hockey and disappear.

BeastMode97

Jan 4, 2015
You have 10m with no one to sign. Trade people idk. Don't worry so much about the 'how' and more about the 'fun & zoomies"

Yamamoto and Bear need deals this year.

Nurse and Nuge need deals next year.

We still need a 3C and a goalie capable of playing 30-45 games.

Also Oilers don't want a player who has consistently shown he can't perform in playoffs. Especially not at the cost of our top d prospect and our top forward prospect.

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020

Why does it make sense for Chicago to get older in your opinion?

Edit: Holy shit the cap and term! You're delusional.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
No from Blackhawks, we need free cap space and you add our cap about 3m.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Man people from NYR really dont like BSM

Who would have thought 3 pieces they dont need and a cap dump for their biggest need would be so rejected

3 pieces we don't need? So we send away 21 year old Chytil, a RW prospect in Kravtsov , and a backup/potential lower tier starting goalie - Georgiev. The only one we don't need here is Georgiev.

We have a team of LW - Kakko, Panarin, Kreider, and #1overall - Lafreniere. On the right side: Buchnevich. Those are the wingers we consider to be in the top 6, or hopeful to become a top 6 player. Who do you see moving to the RW? It won't be Panarin, and the last thing you want to do is move Lafreniere to RW. That leaves Kakko and Kreider and right now I can't see Kreider playing the right side as well as he plays the left.

Kravtsov was drafted a year later than Andersson and Chytil. We can potentially lose Andersson (who might not want to come back to us). We shouldn't be looking at trading Chytil and Kravtsov. Can you imagine if Kakko doesn't take the next step? Talk about a wasted rebuild when it comes to drafting. Good thing we have players who want to play for our organization or we'd actually be behind in the rebuild. If we keep trading away our first round picks, eventually players will stop wanting to play here.

And all this just to get back Monahan for our 2C. And when Panarin inflate his numbers will we be losing Monahan in 2 years because we're not paying him a big raise and are forced to trade him. But yeah, just pieces we don't need.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad