Proposal: CGY Mega Rebuild thread: EDM/NYR/CHI/COL/VAN/TBL

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Isn't the idea of Calgary rebuilding Pejorative Slured given how young their core is?
I think they should be going for the retool instead.

I don't think rebuilding is the answer, yet. I think if you're going to hold onto Gaudreau and Giordano you've got to try and win with them while they're still under contract. Unfortunately, we don't know how much Calgary will be willing to spend with this global pandemic.

Reactions: thadd

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I shall attempt to humor you and take a stab at it... probably get crucified by everyone else but that could be fun too

Trade 1: Remove Kylington/3rd, add Russell (cap purposes). Perhaps sub 21 1st rounder for Lavoie

Subtracting Russell doesn't get them all the way there, but it gets them closer. Other moves can be made if needed

Trade 2: I'll switch it to a team like, say, Columbus (who desperately could use centers)

To Cgy: Josh Anderson (RFA), Andrew Peeke (917K), Joonas Korpisalo ($2.8M), Brandon Dubinsky ($5.8M)
To CBJ: Sean Monahan ($6.38M), David Rittich ($2.75M)

I suppose one's feelings on this would depend on their valuation of the Jackets players ~ personally, I see Korpisalo as an upgrade and Anderson/Peeke as valuable assets with upside. It might be light, but it's a decent offer imo

I gather Columbus can't necessarily take on salary, as fhey need to pay Dubois (Dubinsky seems like LTIRetirement material iirc), and they prefer to keep their picks to reload after their shenanigans at the 2019 deadline.

Trade 3 I'll switch as well. To Florida, cause hey, why not. They could use the defensive help and are rather wanting down the middle.... now to massage the salaries to work

To Cgy: Anton Stralman ($5.5M), Keith Yandle ($6.35M), 20 first round pick (#12)

To Florida: Mark Giordano ($6.75M), Mikael Backlund ($5.35M)

All 4 of these guys have some form of trade protection, but here in the magical land of Mal's imagination, they're all amenable to a trade

Remember reading somewhere Calgary doesn't like to retain so I tried to make it a dollar for dollar scenario. I'm sure Calgary fans would like more but getting a lotto pick in a strong draft and a couple serviceable (albeit overpaid) dmen ain't bad for Gio & Backlund. I'm equally sure Florida fans will push back on giving up a high first, but this *would* make them a better team

Trade 4 I don't mind, and you're an Avs fan so I'll defer to your judgment there

Trade 5 I'd suggest just making it Demko/Eriksson for fluff, but considering my deals didn't clear as much salary as yours I'm not sure it'd work

No offersheet for Cirelli. Perhaps they poach him in a trade for below market value (as I assume Serg is the highest priority RFA there, followed closely by Cirelli)

Was going to attempt a roster but simple fact is they'd have to bring in a number of warm bodies up front.... meanwhile their blueline/goaltending would be something like this (tailor as you desire)

Hanifin/Stralman
Yandle/Peeke
Valimaki/Bouchard
Russell

Korpisalo/Demko

Be merciful, HF :sarcasm:

Whether it works or not honestly just mad props for being the 1st person to actually give it a try.

Theres no way that trading away half a team will ever make sense, but the point is that its so absurd that its a good bit of fun.

Too many people on here take random message boards too seriously, good on you for enjoying it

Reactions: Mal Reynolds

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Isn't the idea of Calgary rebuilding Pejorative Slured given how young their core is?
I think they should be going for the retool instead.

I think with CGY its less about age and more that they just aren't close.

I really like the 3 young D and Tkachuk but the rest of that line up is either too old or in over their head for a retool (which never works btw. retool is just a code word that says the team is bad enough to rebuild but the owners don't want to lose money on ticket sales by doing it the right way.)

They do have time to build around the 23 and under core if they are VERY aggressive but each year they try and run back this mediocre group the less likely that becomes quite quick

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I don't think rebuilding is the answer, yet. I think if you're going to hold onto Gaudreau and Giordano you've got to try and win with them while they're still under contract. Unfortunately, we don't know how much Calgary will be willing to spend with this global pandemic.

Gio is 36 and Gaudreau has been an absolute no show for the past 2 years. If those are the guys you are trying to win with you have already lost

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
They need another top 6 wing, he is cost controlled on a great deal and is only 25. He would fit perfectly on that 2nd line. I think you would be crazy to turn that deal down.

I would honestly almost do it just to get rid of those twats JTC and Jost... Timmins is the wildcard here and is why I think the Avs would say no. Our RD cabinet would be bone dry if he got traded.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I would honestly almost do it just to get rid of those twats JTC and Jost... Timmins is the wildcard here and is why I think the Avs would say no. Our RD cabinet would be bone dry if he got traded.

You still have Makar and EJ for the long term and finding 3rd pairing dmen is very doable. I don't see Timmins as a good replacement for EJ anyways so whether he is moved or not that need is likely there.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
You still have Makar and EJ for the long term and finding 3rd pairing dmen is very doable. I don't see Timmins as a good replacement for EJ anyways so whether he is moved or not that need is likely there.

The Avs have had a rolling door of terrible bottom pairing defenders for the last decade + so it's not so easy. Ideally Timmins works his way up the lineup from the 3rd pairing up into that 2nd pairing RD role while EJ drops back a bit to the "3rd pairing". The Avs distribute their icetime pretty evenly for defenders in comparison to other teams. The truth is that they'd still be playing around the same amount of time if everything stays the same.

Timmins is one of the best D prospects out there and would be talked about in much higher regard if it wasn't for his injury issues which have been numerous. For that reason his value around the league might be lower but I still think the Avs brass still holds him in extremely high regards. I'm just hoping that he doesn't turn into another Bigras.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Wow. Yeah this is why Oilers fans shouldn't make up rebuild posts for there #1 Rival. Some of the most atrocious trades I've ever seen. You basically dismantle the Flames and give them no hope for the foreseeable future at the same time. Congrats.
Bouchard For Johnny lmfao
Don't forget the bad contracts coming back to the Flames

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The Avs have had a rolling door of terrible bottom pairing defenders for the last decade + so it's not so easy. Ideally Timmins works his way up the lineup from the 3rd pairing up into that 2nd pairing RD role while EJ drops back a bit to the "3rd pairing". The Avs distribute their icetime pretty evenly for defenders in comparison to other teams. The truth is that they'd still be playing around the same amount of time if everything stays the same.

Timmins is one of the best D prospects out there and would be talked about in much higher regard if it wasn't for his injury issues which have been numerous. For that reason his value around the league might be lower but I still think the Avs brass still holds him in extremely high regards. I'm just hoping that he doesn't turn into another Bigras.

I don't see how what happens the past decade is relevant. They have 8 NHL ready dmen now.

I personally just don't think Timmins makes a good partner for Girard, thus my previous statement. It makes sense for Col to run a top 4 RHD on the 3rd pair who is on an ELC and matches well with the other LD they have for the short term but I think he is eventually moved.

I rate Timmins very highly, and thus I treated him as such here.

Spending mental energy on the worst case scenario is a waste of time

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I don't see how what happens the past decade is relevant. They have 8 NHL ready dmen now.

I personally just don't think Timmins makes a good partner for Girard, thus my previous statement. It makes sense for Col to run a top 4 RHD on the 3rd pair who is on an ELC and matches well with the other LD they have for the short term but I think he is eventually moved.

I rate Timmins very highly, and thus I treated him as such here.

Spending mental energy on the worst case scenario is a waste of time

I feel like 8 NHL ready dmen is definitely looking on the bright side lol. We got Makar, G, and EJ that are good top 4 options. Graves is no more than a bottom pairing defender. Z is a bottom pairing guy that has the ability to turn it on for a few games. Cole is not an NHL defender even on a non-playoff team and the rest of the guys suck something else. The Avs D is not that good IMO. On paper they're decent but that's all contingent on staying healthy *cough* EJ *cough*...

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I feel like 8 NHL ready dmen is definitely looking on the bright side lol. We got Makar, G, and EJ that are good top 4 options. Graves is no more than a bottom pairing defender. Z is a bottom pairing guy that has the ability to turn it on for a few games. Cole is not an NHL defender even on a non-playoff team and the rest of the guys suck something else. The Avs D is not that good IMO. On paper they're decent but that's all contingent on staying healthy *cough* EJ *cough*...

I feel like we strongly disagree one some player evals. You seem a tad pessimistic

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
TB would probably be forced to take that compensation. Our best bet is Cirelli refusing to sign.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think with CGY its less about age and more that they just aren't close.

I really like the 3 young D and Tkachuk but the rest of that line up is either too old or in over their head for a retool (which never works btw. retool is just a code word that says the team is bad enough to rebuild but the owners don't want to lose money on ticket sales by doing it the right way.)

They do have time to build around the 23 and under core if they are VERY aggressive but each year they try and run back this mediocre group the less likely that becomes quite quick

Eh, I disagree. You just need a good theme and understanding of how to retool. Fine, I'll toss my hat in with an attempt to make a difficult to play team called the Calgary Flaming A-holes worthy of NHL 2021.

Trades: Should all be accepted as they are overpay (add if needed, but IMO should be close) and is cap compliant... I think?

Monahan for Kadri (Cap decrease)
Hanifin for Domi (Cap neutral ish)
Kylington for Lemieux (could use a speedy LD?; cap neutral)
2nd for Perry (Cap increase)
1st for Risto (Replace Hamonic and Brodie; Cap decrease)
Resign Forbort @ 2.5 mil (Cap neutral ish )
two 3rds for Gudas (Cap increase)
Talbot 2 years at 4 mil (cap increase)

Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm (Competant abrasive and defensively responsible 1st line which can score)
Gaudreau - Kadri - Dube (Scoring second line with speed and a bit of dickery)
Domi - Bennett - Perry (Bennett's DoPe line; Rude and reckless)
Lemieux - Ryan - Mangiapane (Tenacity line with Ryan who can help the two get scoring chances)
Lucic (Cheerleader)

Gio - Andersson (respectable top pairing with Kneeordano and trash talking Andersson)
Valimaki - Risto (respectable 2nd pairing. Risto with fists)
Forbort - Gudas (respectable bruising 3rd pairing even if kinda slow)
Mackey

Talbot (Acceptable and cheap)
Rittich (Attitude and cheap)

Do more Flames fans or opposition fans have an aneurysm?
Do the Oilers shore up their goonery for the BOA or do they forfeit every game against this roster?
Does Drew Doughty healthy scratch every game against Calgary, or does he finally pay Tkachuk rent?
Who flips their stick first? The opposition, or David Rittich?
Is this roster at least a perennial bubble team, but significantly upgraded for the playoffs?
Does the DOPS relocate to Calgary for convenience sake?
Does Ward play his 4th line to try and lure Torts into a barnyard bonfire?
Do the Flames garner a ton of new fans who just want to watch the world burn?

I think this roster would crush OP's hands down and some teams might accept the payments for their players. Just saying.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Eh, I disagree. You just need a good theme and understanding of how to retool. Fine, I'll toss my hat in with an attempt to make a difficult to play team called the Calgary Flaming A-holes worthy of NHL 2021.

Trades: Should all be accepted as they are overpay (add if needed, but IMO should be close) and is cap compliant... I think?

Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm (Competant abrasive and defensively responsible 1st line which can score)
Lemieux - Ryan - Mangiapane (Tenacity line with Ryan who can help the two get scoring chances)
Lucic (Cheerleader)

Gio - Andersson (respectable top pairing with Kneeordano and trash talking Andersson)
Mackey

Do the Oilers shore up their goonery for the BOA or do they forfeit every game against this roster?
Does Drew Doughty healthy scratch every game against Calgary, or does he finally pay Tkachuk rent?
Is this roster at least a perennial bubble team, but significantly upgraded for the playoffs?

I think this roster would crush OP's hands down and some teams might accept the payments for their players. Just saying.

Nice job taking a shot at it!

I wanna quickly point out was the rule I set for myself was to trade EVERY player older than 24 and all the pieces I got back aligned with that.

The goal of the roster was to be bad for 1-2 years but have so much young talent that after that point they would be far more competitive than they are now.

I just dont think retools ever work. You can't half ass in the NHL. You are either set up to make a contender, rebuilding or you are just looking to make the owner money

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
  1. Eh, I disagree. You just need a good theme and understanding of how to retool. Fine, I'll toss my hat in with an attempt to make a difficult to play team called the Calgary Flaming A-holes worthy of NHL 2021.

Lucic (Cheerleader)

Mackey

- Monahan would receive decidedly more in a trade than Kadri
- Gudas is a UFA, so no trade necessary
- Lemieux is effective and provides dimension in a bottom-six role on the Rangers (an area of weakness on the team), whereas they have a plethora of LD prospects with 2nd-pairing upside, among whom Kylington would one of the oldest. NYR would likely prefer to seek a UFA defenseman on a 2-3 year deal while their current batch of D prospects ripen.
- Valimaki-Ristolainen is more than a bit of a wing-and-a-prayer second-pairing proposal, given the former’s significant injury issues and the latter’s defensive issues.

I get you included the qualifier re: overpays for the other team, just giving my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad