Proposal: CGY Mega Rebuild thread: EDM/NYR/CHI/COL/VAN/TBL

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I don’t disagree at all.

But the team making that trade should be a legit contender, which the Rangers are currently not.

Even with Monahan, they aren’t. And they wont be until their young core starts reaching their potential, as well as fix the left side of their defense. Both of which will take a few years.

With the absolute star power on their offense I think they are absolutely a contender with BSM personally. Outside of their defense which might have a question or 2 they are really well set up. Thats just my take though.

I think the next 3 years is their sweet spot.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Re: Trade between EDM -CGY

So Calgary gets Edmonton's best RHD prospect and a B level forward prospect and for Gaudreau and takes no salary back. How this works with the cap and RFAs in Bear, AA and Benning, along with signing a 3C... dude seriously. If six million comes into the Oilers line up six million has to go out.

I also think the Vancouver trade is terrible for the Canucks.

Total Calgary fanboi trade proposal.

Imagine thinking that you don't want Gaudreau because you need to sign Benning lol. Also AA was a failure and they will likely move him anyways. They have plenty of space for moves, especially if they trade a dman

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I think you are way overthinking it. If Chytil is a valid replacement he will cost the same as BSM and so much happens in 2-3 years. Like you make room for those guys, not shy away from em.
Chytil won’t cost 6M in 2-3 more seasons. And if he does, it’ll be a great problem to have because he’ll be a 23-24 year old with a shit load of value to the Rangers.

Sorry bud but you’re not going to convince many Rangers fans to agree with you on your proposal.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The hole is filled by BSM, so the 1st one is irrelevant.

No matter what holes NYR has Staal wont fill it, pretending like losing him is an issue is laughable

NYR has their top 4 wings without Kratsov already so he is also not needed and one of those LW will swap sides. Unless you think you can move Kreider.

A back up goalie isn't a reason not to get a top 6 center. There are a bajillion of them

I have never seen so many fans reject such an obvious trade.

Cool. Still no.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Chytil won’t cost 6M in 2-3 more seasons. And if he does, it’ll be a great problem to have because he’ll be a 23-24 year old with a shit load of value to the Rangers.

Sorry bud but you’re not going to convince many Rangers fans to agree with you on your proposal.

I am totally fine with people on here disagreeing with me. Especially in fun threads.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I mean would any fan be open to completely blowing up an entire team lol.

Also it makes me less nauseous then them continuing to run back mediocre teams like they have done for the past 15 years

well if you blow it up at least get some draft picks and top prospects back. Not a boatload of meh.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Oh we’re having fun now...? :eek:

This thread:

OP: Here's some shit I'm throwing against the wall.
Poster: This doesn't make sense.
OP: We're just having fun man! Shits and giggles!
Poster: I don't understand the logic of this trade.
OP: Hey man! We're just having some fun here.
Poster: I don't think my team makes this trade, it doesn't make sense for us.
OP: Whatever you do afterwards we make this trade, doesn't matter to me, we're just having some fun here.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Imagine thinking that you don't want Gaudreau because you need to sign Benning lol. Also AA was a failure and they will likely move him anyways. They have plenty of space for moves, especially if they trade a dman

I totally would want Gaudreau. I'd have him on my team any day, but the Oilers are tight against the cap this year. Way more moves have to be made before a trade for a top winger like Gaudreau could be made. I am being realistic.

Reactions: spaghtti

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I totally would want Gaudreau. I'd have him on my team any day, but the Oilers are tight against the cap this year. Way more moves have to be made before a trade for a top winger like Gaudreau could be made. I am being realistic.

I keep looking over and over it and I really don't see any cap issues.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I am totally fine with people on here disagreeing with me. Especially in fun threads.

Not that I want to pile on, but this comment reads basically like, "Clowns are fun." to me.

Your proposals in this thread overall don't qualify as a proper rebuild and it's an awful attempt at a retool. What's even more bizarre is that you're trying to fire sale good pieces to other teams, and those teams want no part of the players even at a discount. Most of us are confused as to what you're actually trying to achieve, and other fans included in your idea want no part of it.

IMO, your roster is going to be 5-10 years of mediocrity. The projected ceiling is way too low for the next 2-3 seasons, but the floor is too high to attempt to do a proper rebuild with. Try playing this team in NHL 2021 or something and I think you'll quickly reset and start over.

The best thing to do with the Flames roster right now is either minor tweaks/lateral move shake ups or complete scorched earth and I'm going with the former.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
They aren't good enough now, not really close, and your plan involves them not getting better for the next multiple years.

They have 1 good dman lol.

They made it to the seventh game of the conference semi-finals with a young nucleus and with two of their top forwards playing hurt. But okay.

Also on what planet is Chris Tanev not a good defenseman.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
This thread:

OP: Here's some shit I'm throwing against the wall.
Poster: This doesn't make sense.
OP: We're just having fun man! Shits and giggles!
Poster: I don't understand the logic of this trade.
OP: Hey man! We're just having some fun here.
Poster: I don't think my team makes this trade, it doesn't make sense for us.
OP: Whatever you do afterwards we make this trade, doesn't matter to me, we're just having some fun here.

I really don't know how else I could emphasize how dumb and silly the idea of trading every single asset that is 25 and older off a team to people.

Everyone gets too serious. Have fun with it, make counter moves, be silly. People on here can be such a downer.

Reactions: Sam Pollock

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
They made it to the seventh game of the conference semi-finals with a young nucleus and with two of their top forwards playing hurt. But okay.

Also on what planet is Chris Tanev not a good defenseman.

In any world past 2018 and 17 injuries

Also while the run was fun they played the Wild, a team half dead from covid and made it to the 2nd round off of godly goaltening. I loved every second of it but I wouldn't double down on having that level of luck again

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Really? I thought that was one of the less absurd ones lmao
It’s not absurd. It’s just a hard no. The Avs can acquire players in UFA like him without having to accept the term. You use term like it’s a good thing. It’s not if deals signed the next few years are team friendly (they will be) in this flat cap era.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Not that I want to pile on, but this comment reads basically like, "Clowns are fun." to me.

Your proposals in this thread overall don't qualify as a proper rebuild and it's an awful attempt at a retool. What's even more bizarre is that you're trying to fire sale good pieces to other teams, and those teams want no part of the players even at a discount. Most of us are confused as to what you're actually trying to achieve, and other fans included in your idea want no part of it.

IMO, your roster is going to be 5-10 years of mediocrity. The projected ceiling is way too low for the next 2-3 seasons, but the floor is too high to attempt to do a proper rebuild with. Try playing this team in NHL 2021 or something and I think you'll quickly reset and start over.

The best thing to do with the Flames roster right now is either minor tweaks/lateral move shake ups or complete scorched earth and I'm going with the former.

See honestly this is the type of post I was hoping for.

The bolded is by far the most confusing part to me.

While I think the italics is a valid point, I think this roster will be worse now but much better faster than their current trajectory. Cgy has always been a team that has been stuck in the middle for decades. Never bad but never great.

The trades were designed to be average to give people a platform to improve and fiddle with them but no one ever embraces fun and instead complains that getting Johnny hockey wont let them resign Benning.

It might just be impossible to have fun on here lol

Bond

May 10, 2012
It’s not absurd. It’s just a hard no. The Avs can acquire players in UFA like him without having to accept the term. You use term like it’s a good thing. It’s not if deals signed the next few years are team friendly (they will be) in this flat cap era.
What player can the AVs go sign that are as good as Lindholm for cheaper?

Reactions: Meeqs

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

I disagree with the bolded and the term is a massive benefit. Like how you could be against a top line winger that brings everything that team needs at that low of a cap hit is beyond me.

If you think you can come close in UFA I think your player evaluation is incorrect in that spot.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I keep looking over and over it and I really don't see any cap issues.

After acquiring Gaudreau the Oilers have around $3.8 Million in cap space. The Oilers have signings to do as well.

Well, let's start with Ethan Bear. He has to get signed. I am guessing a $3.25 Million dollar bridge contract?

Bouchard is slated by fans of the team to start next year in the bottom pairing to be sheltered for a while. He was going to replace Benning but that isn't happening in your trade scenario. So Benning will have to be qualified, or traded, and someone with a minimum cap hit of $1 Million will play there.

The Oilers, even after finding their top winger in Gaudreau, have to sign someone to play 3C (Riley Sheahan isn't returning) and probably sign Ennis as a depth forward.

So you can see pretty easily the Oilers have to make a bunch of moves to move salary out to absorb Gaudreau's contract.

Then add that Larsson is likely traded this year or risk losing him as a UFA and the RHD at the NHL level the Oilers have... Bear, and I guess Russell on his off side? Gah.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What player can the AVs go sign that are as good as Lindholm for cheaper?
Dude is under contract until 2024. Avs don’t want that kind of term. I’d much rather pay a similar AAV short term to Dadonov or Hoffman. Keep that roster flexibility. This deal locks Lindholm in as a part of your core. Why sacrifice the roster flexibility you have today in a flat cap era where such flexibility is super valuable. Hard pass. Some other team may like and value that term. It’s doesn’t have value to the Avs like it may to a cap strapped team. You’re broad stroking his contract term as universally a good thing. That isn’t necessarily so for desirable UFA destinations like the Avs will be for a while.

I’d definitely demand Cole goes the other way in a deal that hurt our cap space like this one would.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I disagree with the bolded and the term is a massive benefit. Like how you could be against a top line winger that brings everything that team needs at that low of a cap hit is beyond me.

If you think you can come close in UFA I think your player evaluation is incorrect in that spot.
I’d take a Dadonov at 1 or 2 years term, ring chasing in a heartbeat over Lindholm and his four years left on that contract.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I’d take a Dadonov at 1 or 2 years term, ring chasing in a heartbeat over Lindholm and his four years left on that contract.
Agree to disagree on that one, would much rather have Lindholm

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I really don't know how else I could emphasize how dumb and silly the idea of trading every single asset that is 25 and older off a team to people.

Everyone gets too serious. Have fun with it, make counter moves, be silly. People on here can be such a downer.

It's fun if there's a reasonable logic that people can kind of follow from different angles. If there isn't a reasonable logic to follow, everyone backs away slowly.

If I'm redoing this in a way that might be accepted by other teams but as a retool:
I'd do something like Monahan+ for Laine
Hanifin+ for a similar calibre RD and assume both Brodie and Hamonic are out.
Keep Rittich and let's overpay for Kuemper using our first (because I hate the idea but for the sake of fun and self torture, sure).

Then I'd completely screw with the line blender and roll:

Tkachuk - Backlund/Lindholm (this is a reasonable 1st line, probably around average)
Gaudreau - Bennett - Laine (this is a borderline 1st line, but a line that should feast on many 2nd lines.. think Kane/Panarin Anisimov lite)
Mangiapane - Dube - Ryan (this is a strong 3rd line with skill, speed and tenacity)
MEH (Who cares.. but I'd like to occasionally see Pellettier, Phillips and maybe Quine here?)

Gio - Andersson (Slightly below average 1st pairing)
Valimaki - RD (Should be average 2nd pairing)
Kylington - MEH (Should be average 3rd pairing)
MEH (honestly speaking, quite a few teams work with worse)

Kuemper (Should be adequate league average ish goaltending overall)
Rittich

This roster I think is more likely to be either super bad or super good and I think it would fit under the salary cap and I've attempted to address other teams needs and overpay by 10% or more for the player I want to get. It would probably be a roster with the farm sold off though.

See honestly this is the type of post I was hoping for.

The bolded is by far the most confusing part to me.

While I think the italics is a valid point, I think this roster will be worse now but much better faster than their current trajectory. Cgy has always been a team that has been stuck in the middle for decades. Never bad but never great.

The trades were designed to be average to give people a platform to improve and fiddle with them but no one ever embraces fun and instead complains that getting Johnny hockey wont let them resign Benning.

It might just be impossible to have fun on here lol

It's not hard to do value losing trades for your team and have the other fan base say, "Start the car!", but the other fan bases participating are all basically saying, "No." Like I said, that's kinda of bizarre and almost impressive at the same time.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

I think you're WAY off on this one man. Like thats a really bad take.

Looks like the player eval mishaps are indeed the culprit for this disagreement

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad