Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames sign Matthew Tkachuk (3 years, $7M AAV)

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Measure of any org is championships final 2 teams ( EC, WC, & SC) and competing for one - final 4.
Senators
Final 4 02/03
EC champs 06/07
Final 4 16/17
They are not one of the teams who have failed to make final 4 since 05/06.

It is important to know that 7 of every 8 final 4 teams are top GA teams.
Top GA team ( based on open shot %) LAK proved you can win a SC with as a bottom 3 GF team.

You need to be
4+ top 60 high% closed low density shot def Dmen to thier side.
And
A top 10 +ve save% goalie compared to save% baseline line established by Dpairs. To be cup competative.

That is part of my repetative cup core roster theory that I developed by looking at 15 yr ( now 25 yr) of final 4 teams.

Pre Expansion draft list; I stated ( on HF boards) that VGK would be GA cup competative (final 4 & finalists) with the expected cup roster theory goalie & Dmen that would be available.

What? What does this have to do with anything we were talking about? Is this just you trying to say "Yeah ok maybe they aren't screwed on the cap but I don't think you'll win a cup anyways so who cares"?

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Great comment!

Absolutely no other star player relies on other star players to bump their point totals. They all do it on their own.......expect for Drai. He has been riding 97's coat tails for his entire career.

If he played on Tampa or Toronto with hacks like Mathews, Marner, Kucherov, Point he would be be a 3rd line scrub incapable of scoring 20 goals......

No other guy relies on it so heavily. Besides a short spell in the playoffs, Drai has considerably under produced away from McDavid. That’s just facts. Blame it on poor line mates all you want.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
You signed Tkachuk for 3 years. We signed Drai for 8. You would have paid more for Tkachuk if you could get him to agree to 8 years.

First off this “you” business...not a Flames fan at all. Secondly, Tkachuk wouldn’t get 8.5 and be paid that much more than Gaudreau...no way, no how.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
What? What does this have to do with anything we were talking about? Is this just you trying to say "Yeah ok maybe they aren't screwed on the cap but I don't think you'll win a cup anyways so who cares"?

Is this the first time you've read an oilerbear post? The dude is a smart guy from another dimension or something.

You'd have a hard time finding someone who truly understands everything he says.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I have no doubts after the press conference today that Tkachuk will be a long term member of this organization.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I can almost guarantee Point after 3 years will still be making less than Marner's AAV. I do not see Tkachuk ever making 11M per. So we shall see. But I think Marner's outlier contract will still top these 3 contracts in AAV. Every year people say the cap is going to go up exponentially, it has not. I don't see hockey ever growing in the US to get a TV deal for this to happen. As Rogers is finding out it has not been that lucrative. They are cutting their losses by axing staff.

It's amazing how many things you get wrong about easily verifiable facts Interactif. Rogers was restructuring because it's a new world and there's new avenues to get hockey content. If anything they're losing money from the Jays being terrible not hockey. Rogers did struggle the first year when no Canadian team made the playoffs, but since then the NHL deal has been very good for them, in particular because of the numbers the Leafs pull, as long as they are good Rogers won't have viewership issues.

Their will be a US TV deal that will see the cap increase, similar to how it did for the Canadian deal, similar to how it did for other deals in US sports. Forbes is expecting to see a drastic increase in the TV deal, multiple companies are going to be interested. The cap will go up when that windfall hits.

I know you don't want the cap to go up because than you can say locking in players was the wrong move, but come on this is stuff easy to fact check.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
He's not.

Frank Seravelli says Point is making $1.02M MORE Net.

Net is all anyone cares about. It's in your pocket.

Points actual bank account is growing at a rate faster than Matthew's. That simple.

its a pet peeve of mine but all this crap about the taxes is nonsense. cost of living is a bigger influence on most players than taxes are. canadian players get paid in us dollars and last i checked the exchange rate is around 25-30% so that goes along way towards addressing the tax issue

then of course theres all the creative tax accounting that tax accountants do for celebrities anyhow. honestly I think entertainers have to pay taxes based on where they are playering so half the games arent even played in your home tax base. half the games would be taxed at whatever state the games are being played on the road.

you have to look at what do players spend their money on... a new home that costs millions of dollars? you have to look at local housing market. if the exact same home might cost you an extra 5 million in one market that has to be taken into account

honestly so many players end up broke... i dont think they are financial genius to begin with. if you tell one of these players he can save an extra 10% of his taxes on team A instead of team B will be honstly give a ratsass about it? does it compare to being able to play with friends? play near a girlfriend? warm weather? chance to be a winner?

there was ALWAYS tax difference between differnt teams... no one ever mentioned it until some clever monkey thought about it a few years ago. The reality is theres tax advantages in many places in the usa… nd theres multiple leagues that have sports franchises. there is almost no coaliation between a team being in a cheap tax market and their ability to sign players at a cheap rate.

tampa lightning happen to live in a beautiful weather place... the guys are fun to hang out with... its a team with a great chance to win... these are much bigger factors for players than the potential tax hit.

i mean think of the poor smuck that signed for a tax break and then got traded next year lol... trust me, how a player gets treated... how his family is living... and he views his future with a team is far bigger influences on his signing then whatever the tax rate is

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Makes the Point deal look that much better.

the point deal looks good because of those idiot contracts Edmonton and Toronto handed out... when you compare point to mackinnon or gaudreau or pastrnak even its a good/fair contract and looks good but not exceptional.

the tkchuck deal should be compared to the other ones on the flames. personally I think hes more valuable than Monahan and close to gaudreau and due to the cap raising and inflation it doesnt suck that his deal is coming in 10-15% higher. not a great earth shattering deal but realistically it repersents the natural progress that is going on in the nhl eco climate

I am recently managing the Calgary flames in a new start up sim league... im not jumping for joy with this contract because Calgary is still so close to the cap max... but I really couldnt have expected a much better deal given the realities of the nhl pay scale.

this is one player that plays hard hard hard nosed hockey and has talent... if anyone will earn the money I have more faith in him then I do in most

Reactions: 1989

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
And tkachuk leaving in 4 yrs is fact? No it's just oilers fans wet dream.

Fact is the guy they picked instead is enjoying his career in Europe...lol

I did a study of Holland’s time as GM in Detroit.
If he has veteran talent in place he prefers to have players 35+ gm season debut be at age 23.

We know that in Tkachuk 19 yr season he scored 10 evg (#53 LW) playing most of his EVTOI with Backlund and Frolik top EVen off production forwards.
.63 evg/60

Puljujarvi 19 yr season he scored 10 evg (#50 RW) in Less minutes playing a large % with Lucic, Strome, Khaira.
.73 evg/60
Then a yr latter in 18/19
PC and Tmac played JP the 9 th most winger EVTOI with Mcdavid.
PB minutes.
They played a top 6 evg scoring Winger (top 62 LW, C, RW) press box winger minutes with Mcdavid?

PC & Tmac told the kid he was not wanted.
How do you give Rattie 200+ even min more?

But luckily JP is 21 this year and Holland has no problem waiting and bringing in players at 23 if they are worth the wait.

Holland stated he wanted to find double digit (EVG) scoring depth this yr.
1 evg every 8 gm in a 82 gm season.
Top 6 fwd evg last year.
#62 LW 10 evg, 1 evg every 8 gm
#62 C 13 evg, 1 evg every 6.3 gm
#62 RW 10 evg, 1evg every 8 gm
Traded for Neal #37 43 EVG last 3 seasons.
Ufa Signings
Chaisson #43 RW 13 evg, #42 Fwd 8 ppg
Archibald #51 RW 12 evg; 1 every 5.67 gm
Granlund #60 LW 10 evg;
Sheahan 9 evg avg last 2 seasons, 20 hardest FO ZS.
Jurco LW/RW 17/18 1evg every 4.83 gm.

It is nice to see guys like
Marody (22) 1 yr to 23
Benson (21) 2 yr to 23
Yamamotto (20) 3 yr to 23
Maksimov (20) 3 yr to 23
Mcleod (19) 4 yr to 23
Lavoie (18) 5 yr to 23
Have to earn their roster spot.

Aug 3, 2010
I did a study of Holland’s time as GM in Detroit.
If he has veteran talent in place he prefers to have players 35+ gm season debut be at age 23.

We know that in Tkachuk 19 yr season he scored 10 evg (#53 LW) playing most of his EVTOI with Backlund and Frolik top EVen off production forwards.
.63 evg/60

Puljujarvi 19 yr season he scored 10 evg (#50 RW) in Less minutes playing a large % with Lucic, Strome, Khaira.
.73 evg/60
Then a yr latter in 18/19
PC and Tmac played JP the 9 th most winger EVTOI with Mcdavid.
PB minutes.
They played a top 6 evg scoring Winger (top 62 LW, C, RW) press box winger minutes with Mcdavid?

PC & Tmac told the kid he was not wanted.
How do you give Rattie 200+ even min more?

But luckily JP is 21 this year and Holland has no problem waiting and bringing in players at 23 if they are worth the wait.

Holland stated he wanted to find double digit (EVG) scoring depth this yr.
1 evg every 8 gm in a 82 gm season.
Top 6 fwd evg last year.
#62 LW 10 evg, 1 evg every 8 gm
#62 C 13 evg, 1 evg every 6.3 gm
#62 RW 10 evg, 1evg every 8 gm
Traded for Neal #37 43 EVG last 3 seasons.
Ufa Signings
Chaisson #43 RW 13 evg, #42 Fwd 8 ppg
Archibald #51 RW 12 evg; 1 every 5.67 gm
Granlund #60 LW 10 evg;
Sheahan 9 evg avg last 2 seasons, 20 hardest FO ZS.
Jurco LW/RW 17/18 1evg every 4.83 gm.

It is nice to see guys like
Marody (22) 1 yr to 23
Benson (21) 2 yr to 23
Yamamotto (20) 3 yr to 23
Maksimov (20) 3 yr to 23
Mcleod (19) 4 yr to 23
Lavoie (18) 5 yr to 23
Have to earn their roster spot.
You win the award for consistently having the most to type and having the worst writing skills to convey the message.
What's worse is that you might even have a point but I'll be damned if anyone wants to read it to make certain.

In communication, tone is often referred to as the most important part of the message. "It's not what you say, it's how you say it."
:teach:

Reactions: tmurfin

North

Jun 25, 2009
First off this “you” business...not a Flames fan at all. Secondly, Tkachuk wouldn’t get 8.5 and be paid that much more than Gaudreau...no way, no how.

Keep dreaming. He got 7 for 3 years, he’d get significantly more over 8 years.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
It's a fine contract. What's the year 3 salary? Is he handcuffing Calgary with that QO in 4?

Most dont realize that the player is gaining just as much here.... the cap seems fine for 3 years, but if you dont overpay in yr4...he may not be yours in year5.
QA is 9 million so i think its fine. Thats probably less then what he will be worth at the time if he can keep up this years level of play.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Dollars and term aside, if I'm a Calgary fan I'm probably just happy to know that I'll get to see him play this year. Guy is an elite talent.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It is what it is. Would I have preferred and longer term deal? Absolutely. Did the Flames have enough cap room for a longer term deal? Absolutely not.
Treliving and Tkachuk came to a mutually beneficial deal that both were happy with that stayed within the available cap space. More term would have meant more money and that would have meant that likely Kylington and Dube would spend the season in the AHL (saving the team $1.509M) and a possible trade of someone else on the roster would be necessary to dump salary and increase cap space. Obviously neither Treliving or Tkachuk wanted that.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The Flames' cup window is the next 3 years while we still have both Gaudreau and Tkachuk at such cheap deals.

Happy for the signing. Hopefully we can now get far in the playoffs with virtually the same team intact.

Reactions: Boomstick

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's amazing how many things you get wrong about easily verifiable facts Interactif. Rogers was restructuring because it's a new world and there's new avenues to get hockey content. If anything they're losing money from the Jays being terrible not hockey.
Wrong again! Don't expect any new lucrative TV contracts to come along if the last one was any example. The cap will not go up as much as some believe.

Sportsnet can’t dig out of hole created by NHL contract

That’s perhaps the best word to describe Rogers Communications’ attempt to supplant CBC and TSN as the go-to network for the National Hockey League in Canada in 2013.
It committed $5.2 billion over 12 years to buy national rights to Hockey Night in Canada and the rest of the TV and digital product on offer from the league.
Disastrous.
That’s probably the best word to describe the outcome of the gamble. With the announcements the past few weeks that a significant slice of the on-air talent was being let go (apparently for economic reasons), it’s now clear that Rogers’ plans – shepherded by then-Rogers Media president Keith Pelley and his second in command Scott Moore – are an embarrassing failure.
Sportsnet can't dig out of hole created by NHL contract

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Keep dreaming. He got 7 for 3 years, he’d get significantly more over 8 years.

So the Flames would legitimately pay their 3rd best player a ton more than their all star forward and Norris winning defender. Keep dreaming indeed. Please show me any team that’s doing that.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Wrong again. Don't expect any new lucrative TV contracts to come along if the last one was any example.

Sportsnet can’t dig out of hole created by NHL contract

Sportsnet can't dig out of hole created by NHL contract

Yeah who to trust for factual reporting some guy named Troy or Forbes magazine. This is a tough one..

That entire article makes it pretty clear they have issues with Rogers. Also it’s pretty old, the Leafs has just squeaked into the playoffs when this was written. Two more years of a popular Leafs team happened after this article.

I also shouldn’t need to point this out, but it talks about Rogers having to overpay for tv talent, that is just poor planning and has nothing to do with the tv rights actual value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad