Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames sign Matthew Tkachuk (3 years, $7M AAV)

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Listening to Brad this morning on the radio. He got asked about Marner's contract. I thought it was funny how nicely he said Marner's contract wasn't relevant since Toronto does their own contract structure. "But good for them" haha

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
:laugh:
Flames got absolutely pummeled to the tune of 50 shots per and looked like an AHL team against the Avs blistering speed. Flames weren't even in the same stratosphere as the Avs and yet Mike Smith stood on his head or it would have been even more laughable.

I still laugh at Cassie Campbell's commentary, she could hardly keep herself together.:laugh: :biglaugh:.

Also in case you haven't heaed the Avs have the 4th best odds in Vegas

Eh. I’m pretty confident if the Flames play the Avs again this offseason the outcome will not be the same. I’d expect a long series that could go either way.

Look at Tampa vs Columbus...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Listening to Brad this morning on the radio. He got asked about Marner's contract. I thought it was funny how nicely he said Marner's contract wasn't relevant since Toronto does their own contract structure. "But good for them" haha
Treliving has been saying that kind of thing for along while. He's kept reiterating every player has their own needs and every team has their own salary structure.

Easier to say Gio cap than Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla cap though.
Valid point and JALATJEI just doesn't roll off the tongue that easily.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
So? That wasn’t the issue.

If he signed for 8 years, it would have been for more than 8.5 million.

Which kills the Flames once Monahan and Gaudreau come up. That’s my point...your best player needs to be making the most money. You legit believe Johnny would have been cool making millions less for 3 years knowing he’s the far superior player?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Which kills the Flames once Monahan and Gaudreau come up. That’s my point...your best player needs to be making the most money. You legit believe Johnny would have been cool making millions less for 3 years knowing he’s the far superior player?
This is pretty hyperbolic. Is Gaudreau a superior offensive player? Absolutely. But Tkachuk is a superior player in the defensive zone, physically and throwing the opposition off their game. While I'd still say Gaudreau is a better player, it is far closer than some want to admit.

Reactions: JayF and Nanuuk

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
This is pretty hyperbolic. Is Gaudreau a superior offensive player? Absolutely. But Tkachuk is a superior player in the defensive zone, physically and throwing the opposition off their game. While I'd still say Gaudreau is a better player, it is far closer than some want to admit.

In three years I'd be shocked if Tkachuk isn't the more important player as well.

Reactions: JayF

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yes because Mitch was terrible without JT before he got there. Who do you think he is? Drai before McDavid? Haha
Marner had 69 points in the season before Tavares got there, which is less than Tkachuk had in the same draft plus 3 year... And without the physical game.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The Flames actually have a pretty great cap structure going forward. Thanks for the concern though.

North

Jun 25, 2009

What are you even talking about?

The discussion was whether he would have received more than 8.5 mill on a long-term deal. That’s it.

You’re arguing a point that has no bearing on the discussion.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
What are you even talking about?

The discussion was whether he would have received more than 8.5 mill on a long-term deal. That’s it.

You’re arguing a point that has no bearing on the discussion.

Which I’m saying wouldn’t have happened because it would have made him the significantly highest paid player on a team where many argue he’s the 4th best player. Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Nice to see him sign before pre-season ends, but what does this contract mean for the Toronto Maple Leafs?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Which I’m saying wouldn’t have happened because it would have made him the significantly highest paid player on a team where many argue he’s the 4th best player. Why is that so difficult to comprehend?
The fact the Flames have so many good value contracts is not a negative.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
:laugh:
Flames got absolutely pummeled to the tune of 50 shots per and looked like an AHL team against the Avs blistering speed. Flames weren't even in the same stratosphere as the Avs and yet Mike Smith stood on his head or it would have been even more laughable.

I still laugh at Cassie Campbell's commentary, she could hardly keep herself together.:laugh: :biglaugh:.

Also in case you haven't heaed the Avs have the 4th best odds in Vegas

Avs speed destroyed us for sure. I feel like the level of destroying is becoming like a game of telephone where it's constantly becoming worse.

Flames looked like the better team in Game 1 and the first 50 minutes of Game 4. Game 2 and 3 were ridiculous domination for sure.

Mike Smith almost stole Game 2, but Grubauer was the better goalie in every game after that.

Doesn't change the fact that the Avs were by far the better team overall, but the series narrative changes a lot I think by a few pivotal moments

North

Jun 25, 2009

You implied he wouldn’t have gotten over 8.5 mill like Drai. I said he would have if he signed for 8 years. Then you started arguing this ridiculous angle to make some sort of point that has nothing to do with the initial conversation.

I’m done with this.

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
Not to mention that Marner is undersized and soft. Tkachuk brings a true physical presence. Apples and oranges.

Marner isn't a physical player, but anyone who thinks he's soft doesn't know what they're talking about.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Hockey players aren't the brightest bulbs, but they generally understand the fact that nominal contract values change every year.

Jun 27, 2005
I really hate when people use age instead of draft year to manipulate stats. Claiming Tkachuk & Marner's 19yo seasons were the same year when Marner was drafted a year earlier makes no sense as Marner had the advantage of extra development in having an extra prospects camp and NHL training camp.

This is a more accurate representation.

Give me a break. Tkachuk is 6 months younger, big deal. They have both played 3 full years in the league, are the same age (other than the 6 months difference) and both just signed their first RFA contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad