Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames sign Matthew Tkachuk (3 years, $7M AAV)

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
The statement was equally correct last year and the year prior, though I might amend the 3-4 part.

The contracts are bad. No level of mental gymnastics will excuse the incompetence displayed by Dubas.

Nylander is fairly paid, Matthews should have gotten 8 years but meh. The three of them together are overpaid by maybe 3-4M in total. Most teams have a depth guy overpaid by that much.

Otherwise the team is in good shape. The sky has been falling for years according to this board and when the time comes, they find a way out of it.

Reactions: garyturner3

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The statement was equally correct last year and the year prior, though I might amend the 3-4 part.

The contracts are bad. No level of mental gymnastics will excuse the incompetence displayed by Dubas.

But oh my God, the mental gymnastics we're seeing.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The first two pages on this thread mostly involve people discussing Tax breaks and Leaf fans bashing this deal, and patting themselves on the back about their own deals. There's literally no mention of Dubas or his over-payments at all until the thread gets turned over because of your boys.

Victim complex 10/10 though.
I just took a look at the first few pages and it is mainly about how this is a bad deal compared to Point which isnt really fair as Point likely took a bit of a discount. Not as much leaf bashing at the start of this thread.

Take a look at the start of the Point thread if you want a great example. Lol you love to throw that victim card accusation around eh.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Hoping someone can answer me. Ideally for both Tkachuk and Point deal's separately, but if not at least this one.

If a team had given him an offer sheet at this exact price + term - what is the compensation for it? Also - what's the maximum $$ value the offer sheet could have gone up to AAV without going to the next tier of compensation?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Except they won’t be cheaper long term, contracts have steadily been growing over recent years and there’s no reason to think that won’t continue.
Yes they will be cheaper than Marner long term. By quite a bit in fact.
Contracts have been going up but in three years they won’t double.
Marners contract is being viewed as an aberration by other GMs and rightly so.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
So they have to qualify him at 9aav next contract. Hope he grows into that .

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Ehhh...

Marner has the higher potential but even ignoring that, it's 3 years vs 6 years.

7M x 3 and then a massive jump in salary once the new expansion team and TV deal come up (they will just argue with cap % so today's 7M will be tomorrow's 13M).

Meanwhile Leafs overpaid Marner today but in 3 years when the cap is up and all of these guys are signing for 14-15M, Marner will be 3-4M cheaper for 3 more years.

$7M today will not be worth anywhere close to $13M and none of this year’s RFA crop will sign for $14M when their bridges are up. Those are both gross exaggerations.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
He doesn't need mcdavid for those points

8.5 and can't carry your own line

Draisaitl 1465 EVTOI.
Would have achieved 19 evg in 1483 without Mcdavid instead of 24 (1.62 evg/60) for 888 with Mcdavid.
16 ppg
3 shg
Would take 38 g without Mcdavid for 8.5M
Mcdavid
18/19 31 evg
24 evg 888 EVTOI = 1.62 evg/60
Without Drai
7 evg 577 EVTOI = .73 evg/60
That would be
18 evg
9 ppg
1 shg
28 g
18/19
19 evg 566.5 = 2.01 evg/60
Without Drai
16 evg 867 ev TOI = 1.11 evg/60

We need to be more worried about Mcdavid scoring at even when Drai is taken away. The results show that.

I shake my head and laugh (objective observation) whenever I see poorly informed opinion about Draisaitl being carried by Mcd.

In draft yr Current Vegas Exec said Drai would the best passer in NHL he has seen in yrs of hockey ( not as a fan).
Then Mcdavid was drafted 2 years later.

Their are elite passers who can drive a teammates evg production thru passing.
Draisaitl - Mcdavid and other teammates.
Mcdavid - players on Line while Drai plays 3C
Marner - I will show Tavares without Marner.

Tavares best 3 evg years
26; 25; 23
37 evg in toronto
31 evg with Marner
6 evg with johnsson.

Facts often show opinions for what they are.

Opinion; def: Point of view not based on facts or Knowledge.

Now to Tkachuk:
9 million QO after contract expires.
6 season of service will be in.
If he signs QO 1 yr service he becomes a FA.
It really becomes 4 yr @ 7.5 million and FA at 25 yr.

Brilliant on Agents part.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Give me a list of the things I've said that are "anti-Flames". Just because I'm an Oiler fan doesn't mean that I have this strong hate on HF boards towards the Flames. I'll wait, hope you can back that claim up. Heck there's a number of teams in the league that I dislike more than the Flames

It's fair to say Dubas screwed up the RFA market, I agree with you on that and I should have taken that into consideration originally.

My first reaction to this was Point's contract, and obviously Point is the much more superior player. I know taxes are taken into consideration, but maybe Point's contract just shows superior management.
Just a short response to your response as I don't have a lot of free time today as I'm in the middle of cleaning the house, mowing the lawn, and packing for my 2 week trip to Vegas (I leave tomorrow morning).

I would love to take the time to find any anti-Flame posts made by you but time is short for me but I am glad to hear that there are a number of teams in the league that you dislike more than the Flames... maybe I have misjudged you.

Pts wise, yes Point is superior to Tkachuk but Point also got to play on the same line as Stamkos. Also its tough to really compare the two players as they are two different type of players. Let me say this... do you think the Oilers would jump at the chance to have Tkachuk on the team for the next 3 years a $7M AAV? I suspect they would in a heartbeat.

As to your superior management point I think you might be exaggerating a bit. Did TB get Point on a very team friendly contract?? No doubt... but a lot of teams would be extremely happy to have Treliving as their GM. He's a signed a lot of players where he got a lot of bang for the buck... as long as we agree to forget about some UFA deals ;) and he's done very with the moves/trades that he's made to get the Flames to where they are now... particularly when you take into account that the Flames have never drafted higher than 4th and they only did that once under his watch.

You mention the tax situation in Florida where they have no state income tax... Alberta's income tax rate starts at 10% and increases to 15% for income over $314,928 CDN. The majority of Tkachuk's income would be taxed at the 15% rate. Also, the cost of living is lower in Florida than it is in Alberta. I don't know what Points equivalent $6.75M salary would be if he signed a contract here in Alberta but I'm pretty sure it would be a lot higher than $7M.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Nylander is fairly paid, Matthews should have gotten 8 years but meh. The three of them together are overpaid by maybe 3-4M in total. Most teams have a depth guy overpaid by that much.

Otherwise the team is in good shape. The sky has been falling for years according to this board and when the time comes, they find a way out of it.

If the team was in good shape, a first round pick wouldn't have been given away.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Slippery Fingers

Sep 25, 2019
Calgary
Why? If the Flames have the cap space, they have the best odds of resigning him.
Shouldn't say GUARANTEES but I think it's somewhat known Tkachuk has motivations to play down south. The Flames will certainly have sufficient cap space but they have a lot of signings to decide on between now and 2022. Andersson and Valimaki should be interesting to see if they are bridged or if Treliving goes long-term route.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Why? If the Flames have the cap space, they have the best odds of resigning him.

The true measure of any org is championships ( final 2: EC, WC & SC) or competing for one - Final 4.

Since the lockout 05/06, Calgary is one of the teams that has not competed for a championship.
WC champs 03/04

My concern would be Ottawa ( were his brother plays) who has a history of rebuild and competing for championships.
Final 4 02/03
Eastern Conf champs 06/07
Final 4 16/17

They have proven to be a repetative championship competative org.
That is what players want.
Play with family
And
Shot at championship.

Last edited:

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Guess we are keeping Frolik and Brodie and making another run at it. We won the Western Conference last year so there's worse scenarios.

Their are 2 teams that win championships ( EC, WC, & SC) each yr.
And
29 losing orgs.

There are division titles and President trophy for Reg. Season.
But no championships for reg season.

STL won the WC & SC.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The true measure of any org is championships ( final 2: EC, WC & SC) or competing for one - Final 4.

Since the lockout 05/06, Calgary is one of the teams that has not competed for a championship.
WC champs 03/04

My concern would be Ottawa ( were his brother plays) who has a history of rebuild and competing for championships.
Final 4 02/03
Eastern Conf champs 06/07
Final 4 16/17

They have proven to be a repetative championship competative org.
That is what players want.
Play with family
And
Shot at championship.
You think he’s going to bolt to Ottawa because of their history of being in the finals.
Well that’s certainly creative.
I’ll give you that.

Reactions: tmurfin

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Downside the New up:

Assuming the worst case tax situation ( a brutal Tax Accountant) is an exaggeration.
Taking an expected average net for multi million incomes ( not 10’s of millions +) would be a fair comparison.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Draisaitl 1465 EVTOI.
Would have achieved 19 evg in 1483 without Mcdavid instead of 24 (1.62 evg/60) for 888 with Mcdavid.
16 ppg
3 shg
Would take 38 g without Mcdavid for 8.5M
Mcdavid
18/19 31 evg
24 evg 888 EVTOI = 1.62 evg/60
Without Drai
7 evg 577 EVTOI = .73 evg/60
That would be
18 evg
9 ppg
1 shg
28 g
18/19
19 evg 566.5 = 2.01 evg/60
Without Drai
16 evg 867 ev TOI = 1.11 evg/60

We need to be more worried about Mcdavid scoring at even when Drai is taken away. The results show that.

I shake my head and laugh (objective observation) whenever I see poorly informed opinion about Draisaitl being carried by Mcd.

In draft yr Current Vegas Exec said Drai would the best passer in NHL he has seen in yrs of hockey ( not as a fan).
Then Mcdavid was drafted 2 years later.

Their are elite passers who can drive a teammates evg production thru passing.
Draisaitl - Mcdavid and other teammates.
Mcdavid - players on Line while Drai plays 3C
Marner - I will show Tavares without Marner.

Tavares best 3 evg years
26; 25; 23
37 evg in toronto
31 evg with Marner
6 evg with johnsson.

Facts often show opinions for what they are.

Opinion; def: Point of view not based on facts or Knowledge.

Now to Tkachuk:
9 million QO after contract expires.
6 season of service will be in.
If he signs QO 1 yr service he becomes a FA.
It really becomes 4 yr @ 7.5 million and FA at 25 yr.

Brilliant on Agents part.

And tkachuk leaving in 4 yrs is fact? No it's just oilers fans wet dream.

Fact is the guy they picked instead is enjoying his career in Europe...lol

Reactions: Johnnybegood13

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Obviously meant going forward

Measure of any org is championships final 2 teams ( EC, WC, & SC) and competing for one - final 4.
Senators
Final 4 02/03
EC champs 06/07
Final 4 16/17
They are not one of the teams who have failed to make final 4 since 05/06.

It is important to know that 7 of every 8 final 4 teams are top GA teams.
Top GA team ( based on open shot %) LAK proved you can win a SC with as a bottom 3 GF team.

You need to be
4+ top 60 high% closed low density shot def Dmen to thier side.
And
A top 10 +ve save% goalie compared to save% baseline line established by Dpairs. To be cup competative.

That is part of my repetative cup core roster theory that I developed by looking at 15 yr ( now 25 yr) of final 4 teams.

Pre Expansion draft list; I stated ( on HF boards) that VGK would be GA cup competative (final 4 & finalists) with the expected cup roster theory goalie & Dmen that would be available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad