Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames sign Matthew Tkachuk (3 years, $7M AAV)

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Difference is....yours is hope/opinion/theory that these guys will be signing for 14-15 million. Whereas today and the next 3 years, it is FACT that these guys are being paid 3.5-5 million less than Marner....guaranteed.

Exactly. Also, a dollar today is more valuable than a dollar tomorrow.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Something has to be done to even the situation with Tampa signing everyone at a discount.

Yeah, I'm mad.
I say we disband the team and reallocate the players to where they originally came from. So Calgary will just take Point and his reasonable cap hit for the next 3 years.

Reactions: Hire Sather

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I'm trying to figure these parts of it out. I don't believe they can trade Tkatchuk if either the team or he elects and receives a binding arbitration, which would mean the Flames lose him after 4 years if he's a UFA and decides to hit the market.

So it's a minimum 4 years, then the HUGE roadblock of UFA.
They can trade him tomorrow if they want

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
Pretty happy with the deal as a Flames fan. Fair value for Tkachuck and the team, dont have to move salary out as of yet, and if he doesnt want to be here in 3 ( or 4) years, I dont want him here either.
Cant blame a player for getting as much money as he can, and cant blame Tre for the slight pay bump compared to Point and the Tampa discount contract.
Hopefully he can get up to speed quick, and give us full value for the 3 years. Let's go Flames!

Reactions: Mitts

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Great comment!

Absolutely no other star player relies on other star players to bump their point totals. They all do it on their own.......expect for Drai. He has been riding 97's coat tails for his entire career.

If he played on Tampa or Toronto with hacks like Mathews, Marner, Kucherov, Point he would be be a 3rd line scrub incapable of scoring 20 goals......

To put it in perspective Matthew Tkachuk had about as many points (77) as his primary linemates Mikael Backlund (47) and Michael Frolik (34) combined

Reactions: Kahvi

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Great bridge deal for Calgary.
It seems like teams are treating the Marner deal as an outlier. Even though he signed for more years these bridge deals will still be cheaper long term and give the teams maximum flexibility in the three year window.
Except they won’t be cheaper long term, contracts have steadily been growing over recent years and there’s no reason to think that won’t continue.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's because they're jealous that our GM isn't a moron. So much jealously in this thread disguised by complaining and **** talking from Leaf fans.

Tkachuk and Nylander aren't comparable, Nylander is inferior in every aspect. Marner is Tkachuk's comparable and Tkachuk signed for nearly $4 mil less. This bridge allows the Flames to compete for 3 years and Tkachuk can get the big dollars after this contract is done, he is still an RFA with the Flames.
Even with a boat anchor in Lucic, our top 5 most well-paid forwards take up 30.7 million of the cap. Toronto's top 5 take up 44 million lol. Dubas is great though

Reactions: Devonator

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Ehhh...

Marner has the higher potential but even ignoring that, it's 3 years vs 6 years.

7M x 3 and then a massive jump in salary once the new expansion team and TV deal come up (they will just argue with cap % so today's 7M will be tomorrow's 13M).

Meanwhile Leafs overpaid Marner today but in 3 years when the cap is up and all of these guys are signing for 14-15M, Marner will be 3-4M cheaper for 3 more years.

This is true.

However the Leaf’s window is not in 3-4 years. Their window is now.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Except they won’t be cheaper long term, contracts have steadily been growing over recent years and there’s no reason to think that won’t continue.
This is just Leafs fans trying to justify the Marner contract. Even in 3 years 11 million will still be massive.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's pretty good when a team has no player making over 7 million the next 3 years, yets has a:

Norris Winner
A 99 point scorer
A PPG+ center
A 78 point C
A 77 point winger

You just gotta get goaltending.
Too good of a team to be losing to the Colorado Avalanche in the first round.

Reactions: 6ix and The Oiler

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016

True, your Boesers, Tkachucks and Points might make 12/13 Million after their next extensions, the way the cap could explode with new revenue sources, but when they are up in 3 years, they are still RFAs with limited leverage. Marners contract might look nice for 3 years then, but he will be a UFA with all the leverage a player can have and could easily end up asking for 15+ and his contract will once again be more expensive. Good for the player, bad for the team looking long term. Obviously that’s all subject to CBAs and players continually performing

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Like the way Matthews/marner bent the leafs? At least these other players will be rfas so they can be traded if neeeded.

Marner/Matthews will be ufa’s

You must be one of those fans that thinks that the Matthews/marner deals are fair.

They cant be traded if they opt for arbitration....

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Stop comparing this to Point. Tampa guys will always be paid less at first view because they are getting 2 million more by getting less taxes and the appeal of playing in Tampa. 7 for Tkachuk is great. It's only for 3 years but bear in mind I don't see him getting 10 after that.

Reactions: CountKong

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I like it, might be on the high side for a post ELC bridge however those have been evolving and am not a super fan of the 3rd year being 9M but.... I am just glad it is settled and that it is not 95% signing bonus.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So now the story line after most RFAs got lower contracts than a certain player, is that there going to leave there teams after signing better deals?

Good job on Calgary in getting there young gun signed to a good deal.

Not quite.

Teams have opted to bridge players - trading short term cap savings for giving the RFAs massive leverage advantages on their next contracts (the threat of arbitration straight to ufa status).

It might pay off from them, or may prove exceedingly costly in 3 years.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Congratulations to the Flames fanbase. Although I'm primarily a long-suffering Canucks fan, I'm always happy to see Canadian teams retain their talent. Of course, I also hate Tkachuk when the orca play against him, which should be interpreted as the highest compliment from a rival fan.

That being said, I think the ******** is worth every penny due to the unique dimension he brings to your team. I can only think of a few similar players currently playing, and none of them will ever see their 25th B-day again....

Glad he won't miss any regular-season games for you & hope we can see 5-6 Canadian teams make the playoffs this year. Cheers

Reactions: Mitts

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
$6M for 3 years... LOL... ya right. I only wish as that would be a very Flames friendly contract. Unfortunately that was never going to happen after Dubas screwed up the RFA salary structure. $7M AAV x 3yrs is a fair contract in the current market. Fair for both parties. Nobody made out like a bandit but nobody got screwed either.

With regards to your commenting... I have no problem with that... I just was making the point that you are extremely biased and anti-Flames and not very likely at all to say anything good about anything the Flames organization does... and thats your right. I just want to let others know that anything you say is not from a neutral observer.... as you and others have pointed out about me in the past.
Give me a list of the things I've said that are "anti-Flames". Just because I'm an Oiler fan doesn't mean that I have this strong hate on HF boards towards the Flames. I'll wait, hope you can back that claim up. Heck there's a number of teams in the league that I dislike more than the Flames

It's fair to say Dubas screwed up the RFA market, I agree with you on that and I should have taken that into consideration originally.

My first reaction to this was Point's contract, and obviously Point is the much more superior player. I know taxes are taken into consideration, but maybe Point's contract just shows superior management.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Pretty good deal for Calgary, everybody's postponing the inevitable thought after Marner signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad