Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames sign Matthew Tkachuk (3 years, $7M AAV)

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
So the Flames would legitimately pay their 3rd best player a ton more than their all star forward and Norris winning defender. Keep dreaming indeed. Please show me any team that’s doing that.

Gaudreau and Giordano signed their contracts a long while ago.

Are you saying that Rantanen should just not sign a contract a cent higher than MacKinnon? Because he sure as hell ain't going to be happy about that.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
No way should a 3 yr term carry a $7M cap hit for this player. This deal stinks of desperation from the side of CGY management. This is about as clear cut as it comes as far as a player and his camp bending the team over. It wouldn't be so bad if it carried term but 3 years? Terrible deal for CGY.

North

Jun 25, 2009
So the Flames would legitimately pay their 3rd best player a ton more than their all star forward and Norris winning defender. Keep dreaming indeed. Please show me any team that’s doing that.

Why didn’t they sign him for 8 years then?

The only reason they got him for 7 is because the deal was 3 years.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
No way should a 3 yr term carry a $7M cap hit for this player. This deal stinks of desperation from the side of CGY management. This is about as clear cut as it comes as far as a player and his camp bending the team over. It wouldn't be so bad if it carried term but 3 years? Terrible deal for CGY.
I know its not Brock Boeser numbers but then again Tkachuk isn't Brock Boeser. He's much better.
But thank you for your unbiased opinion.

Reactions: Boomstick and DFF

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Giordano signed his current contract in 2015 and Gaudreau signed his in 2016.
Your statement confirms that you are clueless when it comes to the Flames.

Reactions: Boomstick and DFF

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
No other guy relies on it so heavily. Besides a short spell in the playoffs, Drai has considerably under produced away from McDavid. That’s just facts. Blame it on poor line mates all you want.

Cool.

I will delete the 50 goal / 105 point season from memory and just refer to Drai as a guy who brought it for a few games in the playoffs......

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Cool.

I will delete the 50 goal / 105 point season from memory and just refer to Drai as a guy who brought it for a few games in the playoffs......

That did nothing to deter my point at all. You hate to see injuries but if McDavid went out injured for a prolonged time, Drai would be found out.

Last edited:

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Giordano signed his current contract in 2015 and Gaudreau signed his in 2016.
Your statement confirms that you are clueless when it comes to the Flames.

I knew all that...what’s your point exactly? That because he’s signing later he’ll automatically get more. Great reasoning there lol.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Why didn’t they sign him for 8 years then?

The only reason they got him for 7 is because the deal was 3 years.

They didn’t sign for 8 years because he was probably asking for a crazy AAV that would have driven up costs on Johnny and Monahan....seems pretty simple to me. He got a better deal than Point who imo is the better player. Point also fell in line...didn’t get more than Kuch and gets Hedman and Vas money in the last year.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I knew all that...what’s your point exactly? That because he’s signing later he’ll automatically get more. Great reasoning there lol.

Not automatic but that's kinda how it works when salary goes up. Crosby, McKinnon and company are no longer the highest paid players in the league...

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

This post stinks of someone who hasn't watched a single game of hockey in his life, let alone one that Tkachuk was in.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I'm surprised by the term (was expecting a longer deal), but the AVV is fair given the term IMO.

North

Jun 25, 2009
They didn’t sign for 8 years because he was probably asking for a crazy AAV that would have driven up costs on Johnny and Monahan....seems pretty simple to me. He got a better deal than Point who imo is the better player. Point also fell in line...didn’t get more than Kuch and gets Hedman and Vas money in the last year.

So clearly you understand a longer term would have meant a higher AAV.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Nope, Johnny and Monahan are their own players who are getting contracts at different times. It was only a matter of fitting in Tkachuk within the cap, the term we gave was the only way we could do that.

Point is the better player, but he is taking a bridge on a cheaper deal because a) taxes and b) he wants TB to remain competitive.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland

That's literally how it works. Don't look at the raw numbers but instead the percentage of the cap and you're in a much better position to compare cap hits on players that signed their contracts years apart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad