Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames sign Matthew Tkachuk (3 years, $7M AAV)

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Lol. That's all.

Marner was drafted a year later and has already outscored Tkackuck by 50 points in their career.
And they're like...22

Try again? There's a 7 month age gap. Your draft years are backwards.

M Tkachuk 21, 6th pick of 2016. 174P in 224 games, primarily with Backlund as his centre. For 2016-18 Backlund put up 98P in 163 games - Backlund has a career 0.516 PPG scoring rate.

Marner 22, 4th pick of 2015. 224P in 241 games, with Kadri as his primary centre. For 2016-2018 Kadri put up 116P in 162 games - Kadri has a career 0.636 PPG scoring rate.

You're right about the point disparity, but wrong about draft year, age and definitely fail to touch on the quality of the linemates... Then, if we look at the linemates for 2018-19 (which I didn't list), well, Tkachuk should be getting credit for only being 50 career points behind Marner, because Tavares is worlds better than Backlund is as a center when you look at production...

Reactions: TychoFan

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's not.

Frank Seravelli says Point is making $1.02M MORE Net.

Net is all anyone cares about. It's in your pocket.

Points actual bank account is growing at a rate faster than Matthew's. That simple.

I mean, this is where i think it's at the point where the NHL needs to step in and do something. When a player on Team A can make more money than a player on Team B...while counting for less on the salary cap, something needs to be adjusted. It's a political economic factor that is inherently biased against certain teams, in Canada in particular.

Of course, the NHL proudly stood by while Canadian franchises were lost to political economic factors. "Sorry your dollar died, what can 'ya do right?" Yet they'll stand behind the "low tax belt" expansion to the death. Cool cool cool.

It's obviously not as simple as a tax-adjusted cap, for a lot of reasons...but there's gotta be a way to level the playing field when it comes to a hard, fixed cap league that's supposed to be about "parity".

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
In my tax class The instructor/tax accountant said NHL players can incorporate themselves and get taxed a a seriously reduced rate. She used Luongo as an example. Any truth to this? I was sceptical but she was certain. If it’s true the tax disparity argument does not even exist.

There may be much more to this than “Florida has a lower tax rate than Ontario” if the player has incorporated himself.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
In my tax class The instructor/tax accountant said NHL players can incorporate themselves and get taxed a a seriously reduced rate. She used Luongo as an example. Any truth to this? I was sceptical but she was certain. If it’s true the tax disparity argument does not even exist.

There may be much more to this than “Florida has a lower tax rate than Ontario” if the player has incorporated himself.

It doesn't really any make sense. They are just working a job like anyone else. Why would they be a corporation? They have nothing to protect but except their NHL salaries.

Last edited:

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Way too much money on three years... I expected not much more than that for 6 years.

varano

Jun 27, 2013

This would only be the case if they were considered independant contractors and thats not the case because theyre payroll employees. If they were independant , there are all kinds of tricks you can use like deferring with holding corporations etc...

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Way too much money on three years... I expected not much more than that for 6 years.
Get up to date. May be a LITTLE too much not way too much base on recent signings. Tkachuk is a young star.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Try again? There's a 7 month age gap. Your draft years are backwards.

M Tkachuk 21, 6th pick of 2016. 174P in 224 games, primarily with Backlund as his centre. For 2016-18 Backlund put up 98P in 163 games - Backlund has a career 0.516 PPG scoring rate.

Marner 22, 4th pick of 2015. 224P in 241 games, with Kadri as his primary centre. For 2016-2018 Kadri put up 116P in 162 games - Kadri has a career 0.636 PPG scoring rate.

You're right about the point disparity, but wrong about draft year, age and definitely fail to touch on the quality of the linemates... Then, if we look at the linemates for 2018-19 (which I didn't list), well, Tkachuk should be getting credit for only being 50 career points behind Marner, because Tavares is worlds better than Backlund is as a center when you look at production...
Not to mention that Marner is undersized and soft. Tkachuk brings a true physical presence. Apples and oranges.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
:laugh:
Too good of a team to be losing to the Colorado Avalanche in the first round.
Flames got absolutely pummeled to the tune of 50 shots per and looked like an AHL team against the Avs blistering speed. Flames weren't even in the same stratosphere as the Avs and yet Mike Smith stood on his head or it would have been even more laughable.

I still laugh at Cassie Campbell's commentary, she could hardly keep herself together.:laugh: :biglaugh:.

Also in case you haven't heaed the Avs have the 4th best odds in Vegas

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

The guy out up 77 points with Mikael Backlund on a 2nd line that also had significant defensive responsibilities. And you think he's overpaid? I love Backlund as a player but he's never been a points-generating monster.

I think it's a fair deal. If he continues to produce, he'll make a lot more when the deal is over. If he doesn't then the contract isn't an anchor for the Flames. On a 6-year deal he'd have been looking at at least 8.5. Likely closer to 9, based on the other contracts that have come out.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Most Flames fans were expecting 6.75AAV as the ceiling (Gio cap) for a bridge and doubled down when we saw Point's contract and considered it a comparable...

But 250K more per season isn't something we will die over. We are just glad it's over. Now, we can wrap up this chapter called the 2019 off season!
I tried telling people that it's still the Iggy cap.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
This would only be the case if they were considered independant contractors and thats not the case because theyre payroll employees. If they were independant , there are all kinds of tricks you can use like deferring with holding corporations etc...

That’s the thing, she seemed to think they were independent contractors because they were negotiating their own contracts or something. I thought she was wrong but you’d think a professional would know her stuff.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Oops you're right.

Age 19GPGAP
Mitch Marner77194261
Johnny Gaudreauxxxx
Matthew Tkachuk76133548
William Nylander226713
Age 20
Mitch Marner82224769
Johnny Gaudreau1101
Matthew Tkachuk68242549
William Nylander81223961
Age 21
Mitch Marner82266894
Johnny Gaudreau80244064
Matthew Tkachuk80344377
William Nylander82204161
Age 22
Mitch Marnerxxxx
Johnny Gaudreau79304878
Matthew Tkachukxxxx
William Nylander5472027
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I really hate when people use age instead of draft year to manipulate stats. Claiming Tkachuk & Marner's 19yo seasons were the same year when Marner was drafted a year earlier makes no sense as Marner had the advantage of extra development in having an extra prospects camp and NHL training camp.

This is a more accurate representation.

Draft+1 Season
GPGATP
MarnerDNPDNPDNPDNP
GaudreauDNPDNPDNPDNP
Tkachuk76133548
NylanderDNPDNPDNPDNP
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Draft+2 Season
GPGATP
Marner77194261
GaudreauDNPDNPDNPDNP
Tkachuk68242549
Nylander226713
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Draft+3 Season
GPGATP
Marner82224769
Gaudreau1101
Tkachuk80344377
Nylander81223961
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Draft+4 Season
GPGATP
Marner82266894
Gaudreau80244064
TkachukTBDTBDTBDTBD
Nylander82204161
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Draft+5 Season
GPGATP
MarnerTBDTBDTBDTBD
Gaudreau79304878
TkachukTBDTBDTBDTBD
Nylander5472027
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Johnnybegood13

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
That's literally how it works. Don't look at the raw numbers but instead the percentage of the cap and you're in a much better position to compare cap hits on players that signed their contracts years apart.

You also have a pecking order on a team. No way should Keith’s boy be making that much more than Gaudreau and Giordano.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Of course you would. I don’t think anybody else would disagree.

The difference here is that Tkachuk signed all RFA years, while Kane signed all UFA years. You can’t really compare them side-by-side.
Valid point. Kane will very likely be breaking down and declining in the final years of his contract.

It's a huge issue. It puts him right into free agency. You laugh it off, but it's very easy for Calgary to offer 9 million per year and for Tkachuk and his agent to say, we'll wait and see what the market will bear.
It's doesn't put him "right to free agency", it puts him to a year before free agency. Which means they have 12 months to work out a new contract, then if he takes his QO or 1 year arbitration offer, another year to work out a new contract. Yes, there is a chance he takes his QO or arbitration and walks, but that is no more likely than him signing a 5-8 year extension during the final year of this contract.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
The guy out up 77 points with Mikael Backlund on a 2nd line that also had significant defensive responsibilities. And you think he's overpaid? I love Backlund as a player but he's never been a points-generating monster.

I think it's a fair deal. If he continues to produce, he'll make a lot more when the deal is over. If he doesn't then the contract isn't an anchor for the Flames. On a 6-year deal he'd have been looking at at least 8.5. Likely closer to 9, based on the other contracts that have come out.
That's exactly what I'm saying. 6 years at 8.5 sounds right. Instead he can arbitrate the fourth year and then walk . Not much advantage here for Calgary

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
He must have been asking 10+ long term
According the the presser, until just before camp he was seeking a long term deal. When he realized that a long term deal would force a teammate out (likely Frolik, his 2nd most common line mate since joining the league), he went with the idea of a 3 year bridge at a lesser AAV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->