Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames sign Elias Lindholm (6 years, $4.85m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Honestly as a Flames fan i wish we traded Bennett instead of Ferly. Ferly had the hardest wrist shot on the team that's why he scored 20 goals. Ferly improved every year and i expect him to get 40 points this season for 1.75 Million.

In which case we couldn't afford him next season.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Ferland's the perfect complementary piece to a line. He'll bag you 20 goals and at least 15 assists. The biggest issue with him is his defensive play. I wouldn't put him on a shutdown line

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Don't know why some flames fans are shitting on him. Honestly, if it's him or Bennett being traded, I choose ferland because I don't believe he would consistently put up his point totals unless he played top line minutes, and paying him with that expectation is setting yourself up for failure. But he is still an excellent middle six piece who can put up 25-30 points and has an excellent shot and pretty decent foot speed. He isn't a world beater, but he's a great depth piece. If he proves me wrong and produces like he did this year with middle six minutes, well good on him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Don't know why some flames fans are ****ting on him. Honestly, if it's him or Bennett being traded, I choose ferland because I don't believe he would consistently put up his point totals unless he played top line minutes, and paying him with that expectation is setting yourself up for failure. But he is still an excellent middle six piece who can put up 25-30 points and has an excellent shot and pretty decent foot speed. He isn't a world beater, but he's a great depth piece. If he proves me wrong and produces like he did this year with middle six minutes, well good on him.
Pointing out flaws is not shitting on him.

He is extremely inconsistent offensively. FACT.
He is inconsistent physically. FACT.
He is below overage to poor defensively. FACT.
He has accomplished nothing without Gaudreau and/or Monahan. FACT.

Yes, he put up good numbers last year, but the Canes have better winger depth than we did last year IMO. He shouldn't be playing in their top 6 with who they currently have. I would have all of Skinner, Williams, Aho, TT and Svechnikov above Ferland. I wouldn't be shocked if McGinn outplayed him too actually.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No :laugh:, 30-45 points.
That makes alot more sense, but I still don't think he get's near 40 points. 30, maybe. But, I'd honestly put him in the 20-25 point range next year unless he is gifted minutes, which as I pointed out in the post above, shouldn't happen as the Canes look to have decent depth on the wings.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Pointing out flaws is not ****ting on him.

Yes, he put up good numbers last year, but the Canes have better winger depth than we did last year IMO. He shouldn't be playing in their top 6 with who they currently have. I would have all of Skinner, Williams, Aho, TT and Svechnikov above Ferland. I wouldn't be shocked if McGinn outplayed him too actually.

Woh relax. I never said he would put up amazing numbers, and yes I understand his defensive game isn't great. As I said, I'd rather trade him than Bennett, but he's still an excellent bottom 6 player, and can be a complementary middle six one if needed.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Woh relax. I never said he would put up amazing numbers, and yes I understand his defensive game isn't great. As I said, I'd rather trade him than Bennett, but he's still an excellent bottom 6 player, and can be a complementary middle six one if needed.
You accuse us of shitting on the guy, then tell me to relax? I was simply explaining what was being said about him. Shitting on a player would be making stuff up to make him look worse. Ferland has enough flaws that we don't need to.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’ve watches a ton of highlights since the trade, and I get your first line has one of the best pairings in the league but Aho and TT create many chances of similar variety. If Ferland plays with those two he’s going to get his fair share of shots from quality areas and he has a very good shot.

Bagging on the guy and saying the people he’ll play with on the Canes are scrubs is a bit pathetic and sad. The Canes outscored you last year. Aside from the top two players you possess I’d take the Canes group of forwards over yours if we had to play one game tonight.

You think he’s over rated. We get it.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It’s funny that the one guy that is so down on Ferland has been the guy that posted about 500 posts about how Ferland will be nothing more than an AHL scrub who got hyped from one playoff series...

Everyone knocks Ferland consistency because he has a bad finish to the year... Lindholm scores 1 goal in his last 30 games :laugh: the model of consistency

I’d rather a player that is hot and cold than someone who is perpetually cold (Stajan, Brouwer, Lazar, Hathaway, etc.)

Not to mention Ferland didn’t start playing hockey until 12, has improved every year and has the skill set to be a superstar powerforward.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
It’s funny that the one guy that is so down on Ferland has been the guy that posted about 500 posts about how Ferland will be nothing more than an AHL scrub who got hyped from one playoff series...

Everyone knocks Ferland consistency because he has a bad finish to the year... Lindholm scores 1 goal in his last 30 games :laugh: the model of consistency

I’d rather a player that is hot and cold than someone who is perpetually cold (Stajan, Brouwer, Lazar, Hathaway, etc.)

Not to mention Ferland didn’t start playing hockey until 12, has improved every year and has the skill set to be a superstar powerforward.

If Elias is one end of the extreme of opinion on Ferland, than you are definitely the poster child for the opposite end. You made some pretty big statements after last season when Ferland had the hot streak in the second half.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If Elias is one end of the extreme of opinion on Ferland, than you are definitely the poster child for the opposite end. You made some pretty big statements after last season when Ferland had the hot streak in the second half.

What like saying that he was one of our top prospects and it was laughable that he wasn’t ranked top ten. Which basically everyone outside of OKG mocked me for?

Ferland is a good player. 5 on 5 he was an absolute monster last year. 20 even strength goals is rare in this league and he did it before the all star break.

But sure, smear the guy that has become a very good player. Classy

Reactions: Dack

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I agree.
Ferland is a really weird package to be honest. His shot is top 6. His passing is middle 6. His physicality is that of a bottom 6 forward, he's paid like a fringe 3rd liner, his IQ is probably bottom 6 and his skating is really strong.

I didn't want to come across as shitting on the guy, because like you know Snipe, I've been one of his biggest defenders on our board over the past few years along with yourself and some others.

People also forget that his stint on the top line previous to last year, was considered a failure. When Marty Gelinas comes out and says how he'd play with the top unit, it's a bit of a wake up call. If Ferland plays with Teuvo and Aho, he'll get around 35-40 points. But it's an investment at that time. Are you willing to slot him above your other wings? Are you willing to give him PP time? Are there other wingers you're wasting potential 55-60 points from because you're playing Ferly up the lineup.

The guy's a good 5v5 producer; like 30 of his points or something were from even play (with a tonne being primary). Ferland really disappeared through the end of the season, it coincides with Mony getting injured, and him moving down to the 3rd/4th lines. He won't carry a line for you, but if you have someone to do the heavy lifting (Gaudreau-esque) he'll be a great complimentary piece. Defensively that top line stunk out the building, I'm not one to jump on Ferland's a terrible defender, because that top line was a heap of garbage at that.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What like saying that he was one of our top prospects and it was laughable that he wasn’t ranked top ten. Which basically everyone outside of OKG mocked me for?

Ferland is a good player. 5 on 5 he was an absolute monster last year. 20 even strength goals is rare in this league and he did it before the all star break.

But sure, smear the guy that has become a very good player. Classy

I certainly didn't.
But to be fair, if you're getting staunch support from either OKG or Elias, you kind of have to rethink what you're posting in all reality. Those are the two spectrums of the Flames board. Essentially one like a vicious fascism, the other like a totalitarian communism :laugh:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Ferland's the perfect complementary piece to a line. He'll bag you 20 goals and at least 15 assists. The biggest issue with him is his defensive play. I wouldn't put him on a shutdown line

Ferland should bounce between Aho/TT and Svechikov/Necas scoring lines. Jordan Staal, Slavin, and Pesce are the heart of the shutdown crew and pretty much any plugs can be added on the wings to compliment them (Williams, McGinn, Martinook, etc.).

At the end of the day the Canes don't need Ferland to replace a top-end scorer like Skinner. They just need Ferland to best Stempniak/Nordstrom's contribution last year (~20-30 point pace) while providing a much better stylistic compliment.

Reactions: RodTheBawd

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I certainly didn't.
But to be fair, if you're getting staunch support from either OKG or Elias, you kind of have to rethink what you're posting in all reality. Those are the two spectrums of the Flames board. Essentially one like a vicious fascism, the other like a totalitarian communism :laugh:

My problem reading this thread is that it looks like a smear campaign.

Yeah Ferland sucked the last 1/3 of the season. But so did everyone else.

This is a person who was troubled and should be congratulated. Not many hockey players have the adversity this guy had growing up.

I work with a lot of First Nations children and this guy is a hero. And he gets no respect from Flames fans and it pisses me off. At worst he’s a good bottom 6 guy. But when he’s on his game he’s an absolute beast.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Do you Ferly Haters know that he was playing hurt for a few months near the end of the season. I really hope he gets 40+ points this season to shut you guys up. Why does Bennett get so much praise? He is a bust. Ferly has more talent.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
My problem reading this thread is that it looks like a smear campaign.

Yeah Ferland sucked the last 1/3 of the season. But so did everyone else.

This is a person who was troubled and should be congratulated. Not many hockey players have the adversity this guy had growing up.

I work with a lot of First Nations children and this guy is a hero. And he gets no respect from Flames fans and it pisses me off. At worst he’s a good bottom 6 guy. But when he’s on his game he’s an absolute beast.

I don't think anyone is giving him hate. I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread do anything but compliment his character.

People are just pointing out that Ferland is not a very good top 6 option, because although he can be a "beast", he doesn't play that way consistently. In 2014/15, he had a great playoff series against Vancouver and looked like would be a force in the NHL. He, however, peaked out. Now at age 26, he's a gritty tweener type player. Still a great player on most teams, but not a top 6 player, and he's probably reached his potential.

He's also an upcoming UFA, which drags down his value. A lot of what made Ferland so valuable was his contract. If he re-signs for 4 million+, he becomes less valuable, as there's an opportunity cost to the cap he uses. I'd love for the Flames to bring him back but only for a reasonable contract.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Pointing out flaws is not ****ting on him.

I really hope that you realize your so called facts are no more facts than the other opinions people are posting here, right? For the most part these are opinions.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I really hope that you realize your so called facts are no more facts than the other opinions people are posting here, right? For the most part these are opinions.

Opinion fact, these things run similar.
I agree he wasn't a model offensively consistent player, then again, if he was, he'd be an all-star.
He was Calgary's hit leader for 2/3 of the last three seasons, and second once. The only thing about his physicality that some people might consider inconsistent is him trying to drive people through the glass every shift.
He was average defensively, his entire line was.
He was an NHL'er before Monahan and Gaudreau, that's accomplish enough considering his past and where he comes from.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Unsure why Ferland is getting dragged through the muck in a Lindholm thread. You could do a lot worse for a middle 6 winger and the Flames have plenty of years. I think he's going to produce fairly well no matter where he is in the top 9, he's got some really really good tools when he uses them. Did playing with Monny and Johnny help boost his totals? Maybe sure ya, but he shouldn't be penalized for being the only right winger the Flames have had to be able to keep up with them.

Having said this, I believe James Neal to be a big upgrade.

Reactions: Mobiandi

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Do you Ferly Haters know that he was playing hurt for a few months near the end of the season. I really hope he gets 40+ points this season to shut you guys up. Why does Bennett get so much praise? He is a bust. Ferly has more talent.

I am one of Ferland's biggest fans, but come on.

Bennett has actually outproduced Ferland to this point in their respective careers despite being four years younger, and not having played an entire season on the top line.. but it's Bennett who's a bust?

Bennett is the more talented player and would have easily matched the 41 points that Ferland had on the top line. Hell he put up 36 as a rookie next to Backlund and Frolik.

Ferland is what he is. He is a hard hitting, inconsistent offensive producer, that can rotate through all four lines and find the ability to contirbute in a limited capacity. He is a valuable but expendable piece at the end of the day.

Ideally he is a third line winger that can chip in 10-15 goals and 25-30 points while providing physicality and energy (essentially what he provided in 2016-2017). He is a very useful player that can help a team in multiple ways. That versatility is always attractive.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I certainly didn't.
that fact you put me anywhere near a category with okg means you should learn to read. IImight be an asshole, but unlike him my opinions change and I admit when in wrong. But you and snipe refuse to acknowledge things like that because it means your opinion of me is wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad