Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames sign Elias Lindholm (6 years, $4.85m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
He's at .50 PPG over 374 games. That's fairly solid, if not spectacular, production. I think Calgary is hoping he can lift his game a bit, and took a 6-year bet on it. Not the riskiest move, considering how young he is and what the cap has been doing. Worst case scenario for the Flames is if he stays where he is, but that's still not bad for a guy averaging a point every other game. I think the party with the most to lose in this might be Lindholm. He might look back on this contract in a few years and kick himself when he sees what similar guys to himself are signing for.
Still, I doubt either side ends up regretting or relishing this one.

Reactions: Haatley and Riptide

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Good contract.

Possibilities:
*Lindy plays RW on 1st line /w Gaudreau - Monahan .....I don't think he'll score many more goals...maybe a few tap ins but his assists should rise by at least 10. I could see a stat line of 18g-38a. 56 pts not bad.

*Lindy plays RW on 2nd line /w Tkachuk - Backlund.... I don't see how that is more adventageous than Aho - Staal. Staal and Backlund are very similar players with very similar offensive games and Aho seems a bit better offensively than Tkachuk. I could see a stat line very similar to last year 16g 25a good for 41 points. **if he gets pp1 time to dish from behind the net his assist should rise by 6ish.

*Lindy plays RW on the 3rd line centered by Ryan I don't see it doing good things for his point totals. In Carolina that line was carried by Skinner....who is there in Calgary on the 3rd line to setup for 30+ goals? Neal? This would be a downgrade from his situation in Carolina. He would probably score 14g and 23a good for 37 pts.

TDLR: If Lindy gets 1st line time his situation is better than it was in Carolina and I can see him breaking 50 pts. If he's on the 2nd or 3rd line it actually seems like a worse scenario than it was in Carolina and I could see his #s dropping a little.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He's at .50 PPG over 374 games. That's fairly solid, if not spectacular, production. I think Calgary is hoping he can lift his game a bit, and took a 6-year bet on it. Not the riskiest move, considering how young he is and what the cap has been doing. Worst case scenario for the Flames is if he stays where he is, but that's still not bad for a guy averaging a point every other game. I think the party with the most to lose in this might be Lindholm. He might look back on this contract in a few years and kick himself when he sees what similar guys to himself are signing for.
Still, I doubt either side ends up regretting or relishing this one.

The Flames desperately depth scoring. If Lindholm can stay at his current production of .5 PPG, the Flames are very happy.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well he’d be the first to admit he’s capable of better numbers in ANY situation. Assuming there’s no growth in his game all by itself doesn’t make sense, it isn’t all on who his linemates are. He’s capable of 20g/30a in just about any situation. That’s on him. He knows he backs away from the net too much with the puck looking for the perfect play and that he’s capable of finishing the chances he gets better than he has. If he plays on the top line I wouldn’t be surprised by 60 Pts. On the second line it’s time he stepped up and got 50. He’s too good to be on the third unless he’s centering it.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
I like the deal, although I feel it is a little high for Lindholm. He would have done well centering the Necas and Svech line this year. In the end you have to give up talent to get talent.

I'm not sure which will come first: Flames fan being frustrated watching what Lindholm can do versus what he does consistently or frustrated watching Peters' system? I vote the later! Remember process over outcome!
Can’t wait to see how Canes fans react to Ferlands inconsistency. Will be great to watch.

Reactions: crackdown44

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Good contract.

Possibilities:
*Lindy plays RW on 1st line /w Gaudreau - Monahan .....I don't think he'll score many more goals...maybe a few tap ins but his assists should rise by at least 10. I could see a stat line of 18g-38a. 56 pts not bad.

*Lindy plays RW on 2nd line /w Tkachuk - Backlund.... I don't see how that is more adventageous than Aho - Staal. Staal and Backlund are very similar players with very similar offensive games and Aho seems a bit better offensively than Tkachuk. I could see a stat line very similar to last year 16g 25a good for 41 points. **if he gets pp1 time to dish from behind the net his assist should rise by 6ish.

*Lindy plays RW on the 3rd line centered by Ryan I don't see it doing good things for his point totals. In Carolina that line was carried by Skinner....who is there in Calgary on the 3rd line to setup for 30+ goals? Neal? This would be a downgrade from his situation in Carolina. He would probably score 14g and 23a good for 37 pts.

TDLR: If Lindy gets 1st line time his situation is better than it was in Carolina and I can see him breaking 50 pts. If he's on the 2nd or 3rd line it actually seems like a worse scenario than it was in Carolina and I could see his #s dropping a little.

That's also assuming he doesn't grow at all as a player as well.

For what it's worth, most Flames fans are hopeful that Tkachuk ends up in the 65 ish point range this season. He was on pace for 60+ despite our god awful PP and both Backlund and Frolik (16 point drop) both taking a step back offensively compared to his rookie season. Just gotta stay healthy and no stupid suspensions.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Because he's only 23?

Kapenen just turned 23 as well, do you think he's not going to improve over his 10 points in 46 games pace?

Kap hasn't even turn 22 yet untill a couple weeks, lindholm will be 24 early this season. I don't care about this deal N rarely comment but man to many of yous do this, artificially raising an age or lower it to appease your own argument about a player.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Pretty good deal considering Henrique got about a million more per year for similar production.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He won't though. Johnny is a magician with the puck.

You may be correct. Although if he plays with Aho and Teravainen (which has been discussed), he will still be playing with some highly skilled players.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
You think he'll get that?
Yes. Ferland is getting underrated around here. When on the Flames: "Ferland isn't be carried by Monahan and Gaudreau", Ferland off of the Flames: "He was carried by Monahan and Gaudreau, there's no way he gets 40+ points again"

I still think Ferland is perfectly capable of putting up 15-15 or more in a middle 6 LW/RW situation.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Yes. Ferland is getting underrated around here. When on the Flames: "Ferland isn't be carried by Monahan and Gaudreau", Ferland off of the Flames: "He was carried by Monahan and Gaudreau, there's no way he gets 40+ points again"

I still think Ferland is perfectly capable of putting up 15-15 or more in a middle 6 LW/RW situation.

Defend your players, it's a simple concept of being a fan. You obviously watched a few games, Ferland is not a perrenial 40 point guy. If he scores more than 30 points, i'll be breathtaken.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Defend your players, it's a simple concept of being a fan. You obviously watched a few games, Ferland is not a perrenial 40 point guy. If he scores more than 30 points, i'll be breathtaken.

I watched the whole season, but okay. He's capable of putting up 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia