Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames sign Elias Lindholm (6 years, $4.85m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Pretty sure that most reasonable posters do not see him as that type of player (unless one is talking about a Simmonds-lite type of player), and few have any sort of real expectations of him being that player.

But then I remember when Clendenning was traded to Pittsburgh and a poster claiming to be his father (I doubt it) came on the Pens board and said he will be the next Letang - just watch and see. So there's always some who are way out there.

Simmonds lite is exactly what I was implying. Obviously he doesn't put up the numbers Simmonds does.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I wonder why Ferly was ahead of Bennett? Maybe cause he's the better player. Bennett has not shown much imo.
A couple reasons.

• When Ferland first started playing with teh top line, teh Flames still had it in their head that Bennett needed to be played at center.
  • When Ferland got the chance, he scored several goals right away before going cold, but Gulutzan being Gulutzan, he never changed the line again.
When Ferland and Bennett played on the same line prior to Ferland being moved to the top line, Bennett was actually out producing Ferland.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
I
A couple reasons.

• When Ferland first started playing with teh top line, teh Flames still had it in their head that Bennett needed to be played at center.
  • When Ferland got the chance, he scored several goals right away before going cold, but Gulutzan being Gulutzan, he never changed the line again.
When Ferland and Bennett played on the same line prior to Ferland being moved to the top line, Bennett was actually out producing Ferland.
Saw Bennett have numerous scoring chances the last two season but he missed the net most of the time. Ferly can bury those chances that's why he played on the first line over Bennett.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I

Saw Bennett have numerous scoring chances the last two season but he missed the net most of the time. Ferly can bury those chances that's why he played on the first line over Bennett.
Ferland barely buried anything before being moved to the top line. When Ferland got moved to the top line, he had 8 goals, Bennett had 10.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
This is so far off I don't even understand where it comes from.

He's basically Jordan Staal-lite. Very solid defender and PKer who can log top minutes against the other team's best players and give you 40-45 points.

If he can ever manage to get through a season without having a major offensive slump he's a 50-55 point player, and I think he could very well be a Selke candidate someday.

To be fair, after when Gagner was 23 years old his first 5 seasons in the league he averaged 49 points over an 82 game pace while playing for some terrible teams. People thought he had a lot more to give. Obviously it did not turn out well, but Gagner was no slouch coming out of the draft. Theres a reason why he was taken 6th overall.

If everything went well for Gagner he could have been a consistent 60-70 point scorer.

At this point Lindholm hasnt really improved since his Sophmore year. Id say the contract is fair.

People thought Jordan Staal would break out offensively in Carolina after assuming a bigger role but his production has been about the same as he was in Pittsburgh. Lindholm could just be what he is.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Gagner and Lindholm are nothing alike. They’re completely different players. I really don’t get the comparison unless you’ve never watched either guy play before.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Ferland barely buried anything before being moved to the top line. When Ferland got moved to the top line, he had 8 goals, Bennett had 10.
What's your point? Ferly has more skill. I honestly think Bennett lacks the Hockey IQ to be a top 6 player.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
What's your point? Ferly has more skill. I honestly think Bennett lacks the Hockey IQ to be a top 6 player.
Ferland has more skill than Bennett? Are you f***ing kidding me? I'm not a big fan of either, but that is a ridiculously stupid statement. Does Ferland have a better shot? Sure, but that is the only "skill" in which he is better than Bennett.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Ferland has more skill than Bennett? Are you ****ing kidding me? I'm not a big fan of either, but that is a ridiculously stupid statement. Does Ferland have a better shot? Sure, but that is the only "skill" in which he is better than Bennett.
Stupid? Now you're getting mad lol Bennett sucks. Ferly is no superstar but he has more skill. BT traded the wrong player imo.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I think it's a fair deal. He'll put up some big numbers to justify the contract if he gets playing time (and PP time) on the wing with Monahan and Gaudreau. He could also end up playing down the middle giving the Flames some pretty solid depth: Monahan, Backlund, Lindholm

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up fitting in.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Stupid? Now you're getting mad lol Bennett sucks. Ferly is no superstar but he has more skill. BT traded the wrong player imo.

tenor.gif

Now if you say Ferland has more brain, it may make sense as Bennett has little.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
How the hell is that smearing Ferland? Seriously, I need an answer on this.

You made some pretty out there claims about Ferland being a 30-30 level guy, or an elite powerforward going into last season.

Ferland is a solid middle six player. A complimentary player that can click well with certain lines and produce more. But I don't see anything I said as a smear, so get your facts straight.

Well considering that poster has had a vendetta and has constantly knocked any accomplishment the guy has had since he entered the league. And continued to do so.. Kinda hypocritical because that’s the poster always the one saying let’s have some respect for Bollig, Brouwer, Hiller etc. when they get booted out of town

Actually my “hot take” from last year regarding Ferland was that we should sign him to a long term low AAV deal. Instead we bridged him and he scored 20 even strength goals. The previous year he was clearly driving possession in our pathtetic bottom six, and it was clear that he was ready to break out with his on ice shooting percentage of 3%.

I also think that when people question his physicality is unfair. Against Vancouver he was a stud. But no human body can withstand that style of play for 30 games. Let alone 82. We never saw playoff Ferland again because we never went into the playoffs. Except the 4 game sweep against the Ducks where he was arguably our most dangerous forward.

The game isn’t physical anymore. That’s just the way it’s played. Ferland and Dougie were 2/3 of our leaders in hits last year. Yet they are the two that are questioned for physicality the most? We complain about the Flames being soft. About having a soft team. And yet, we trade two of our three most physical players. Why not accept them for what they are, rather then hope they are some sort of video game like hitting machine?

It’s just a joke of living in a Canadian market. We always focus on players negatives and fail to recognize their positives. Sure Ferland was inconsistent. But so is Lindholm. So is pretty much any player that isn’t considered elite.

You have your elite players, Monahan, Gaudreau who consistently score. And then you have very good players, ie Tkachuk/Backlund that are elite two way guys. And then you have everyone else. And Ferland is honestly the best of the rest. He’s the best non lottery draft pick this team has had outside of Gaudreau and Brodie the last decade. All I hear is he’s not this. Or he’s not that. And sure. But that line was the second best line in the league for 2/3 of the season. And anyone that thinks Ferland wasn’t an important contributor to that success, well I question that persons hockey knowlegde.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Now I have a vendetta against Ferland? Good to know, because I was previously unaware. Also instead in vaguely referencing me, grow a pair and come at me instead of doing this passive aggressive bullshit.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Now I have a vendetta against Ferland? Good to know, because I was previously unaware. Also instead in vaguely referencing me, grow a pair and come at me instead of doing this passive aggressive bull****.

You do that literally all the time...

And yes. Anyone who has followed you know you constantly shit on the guy. I reckon you have some 500+ posts on the topic

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
You do that literally all the time...

And yes. Anyone who has followed you know you constantly **** on the guy. I reckon you have some 500+ posts on the topic
Calling him a 3rd liner that can play in the top six when he's on a hot streak is shitting on him now?

No, I never thought he would be an NHL regular, I was wrong. No, I never thought he was good enough or consistent enough to be considered one of our top prospects.

I don't like him as a player because of how inconsistent he is, both in terms of scoring and physically. He reminds me if Matthew Lombardi and David Moss in how he disappears for long stretches and when he does disappear, he doesn't use the other tools he has (in his case physical play and skating).

But I always wanted him to prove me wrong. You can not be a fan of a player and still cheer for them.

I spoke out more on Ferland after the Canucks series when I felt he was being overrated. But that doesn't mean I have a vendetta. You claim to follow my posts but you haven't realized yet, I try to subdue things when I feel a player is being over hyped and defend then then I feel they're being crapped on? I literally do it all the time.

What pisses me off more than anything is your thinly veiled accusation of me being racist. You don't know f*** all about me for you to make such an accusation.

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Late to the party here, but I wouldn't have minded $4.8M per for Lindholm in CAR. The term of 6 yrs however seems a bit long, but he'll probably prove it a good contract. His versatility will be missed in CAR for sure. It'd be nice to be able to have him as an option at C under a new coach.

Anyway, I could finally see him break 50pts on this deal. I wouldn't expect much more than that though, based on his previous usage under Peters. But just under $5M for ~50pts seems like the going rate these days.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->