Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames sign Elias Lindholm (6 years, $4.85m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hope he's playing with Gaudreau.

When did Calgary fans have so much success they could post like this?

We GET IT. Ferland doesn't drive his line and will need to be with some very good NHLrs to put up good numbers. You don't see us Canes fans bagging on Lindholm and Hanifin so not sure why you feel it's necessary to do that with Ferland.

EDIT: and I should clarify that the vast majority of Flames fans haven't been doing this.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

We GET IT. Ferland doesn't drive his line and will need to be with some very good NHLrs to put up good numbers. You don't see us Canes fans bagging on Lindholm and Hanifin so not sure why you feel it's necessary to do that with Ferland.

EDIT: and I should clarify that the vast majority of Flames fans haven't been doing this.

No idea what you're bitching about my man.
What Flames fans are telling you is that you are getting a guy who, while I've always liked him as a player (you can check my history), is actually quite limited. It's not that he doesn't drive his line, it's that he was fully a product of one of the best offensive players in the league.

I really like Ferly as a guy, I've met him on a number of occasions and he's a good dude (and a guy I vehemently defended on our board); but don't get your hopes up too much for him. You'll love him one game, and completely forget he's even on your team a few games later.

Also, shouldn't throw too many stones, should I pick up the Ryan threads and see 'when did Canes fans have so much success they could post like this?'.

Reactions: MonaHan Solo

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I watched the whole season, but okay. He's capable of putting up 30.
:laugh: No he isn't, Ferland is massively overrated and has been for a couple years. Unless he is spoon fed 1st line minutes like he was in Calgary, Ferland will be lucky to score 15. Micheal Ferland is a more physical David Moss

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Solid AAV but a pretty long contract for essentially Sam Gagner V2

This is so far off I don't even understand where it comes from.

He's basically Jordan Staal-lite. Very solid defender and PKer who can log top minutes against the other team's best players and give you 40-45 points.

If he can ever manage to get through a season without having a major offensive slump he's a 50-55 point player, and I think he could very well be a Selke candidate someday.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
No idea what you're *****ing about my man.

Pretty clear. You are going on about Ferland's success due to Gaudreau. We get it.

What Flames fans are telling you is that you are getting a guy who, while I've always liked him as a player (you can check my history), is actually quite limited. It's not that he doesn't drive his line, it's that he was fully a product of one of the best offensive players in the league.

Again, we get it. He's a grinder with some offensive talent that needs to play with better players. If he plays with Aho and Teravainen, he can have some success. If he's on the 3rd line, he's a physical presence that won't score much.

I really like Ferly as a guy, I've met him on a number of occasions and he's a good dude (and a guy I vehemently defended on our board); but don't get your hopes up too much for him.

We don't, as evidence from the post you responded to, bleedgreen said IF he scores 15-20, we'd be ecstatic. How is that getting hopes up? Ecstatic means we'd be delighted with that, but not expecting it.

You'll love him one game, and completely forget he's even on your team a few games later.

That sounds a lot like Lindholm, and I'm a Lindholm fan.

Also, shouldn't throw too many stones, should I pick up the Ryan threads and see 'when did Canes fans have so much success they could post like this?'.

Feel free. Won't change what you posted.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

The thing about Ferland is he's very rarely played with middle of the road NHLers. When he wasn't playing with Gaudreau-Monahan in the last two seasons, he was playing with fringe NHLers. So it's not really all that surprising that a player as streaky as him puts up lower numbers when playing with fourth liners.

But we also shouldn't forget he had his breakout playoff series against Vancouver playing on the bottom six. He's capable of it.

I think it's really hard to tell with Ferland. He's been one of my favourite Flames the last few years and he's a great finisher when he's on. I hope he does fantastic in Carolina (although there's a small part of me that hopes he fails and then comes back here as a UFA).

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Can’t wait to see how Canes fans react to Ferlands inconsistency. Will be great to watch.

I definitely don’t believe we gained two flawless players in the trade. I can stomach the inconsistency at 3 million less and with consistent physicality.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I definitely don’t believe we gained two flawless players in the trade. I can stomach the inconsistency at 3 million less and with consistent physicality.
Ferland plays physical about 10% of the time, may be 20% max
He would be an all-star if he does it 100% of the time

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Funny the one poster that always hates on him came to hate on him again.

People that question his physicality are hilarious. He’s led our team in hits for the past three years... how many players did he injure last year with clean hits? Like at least 3

Not to mention his scoring was almost all 5 on 5. That’s 21 goals almost exclusively at 5 on 5. 2/3 of the way through the season he was on pace for 30 EVEN STRENGTH goals!!!!! If you don’t understand the significance of that you are not very wise.

And yes, he drives possession. That’s what the stats say.

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
Funny the one poster that always hates on him came to hate on him again.

People that question his physicality are hilarious. He’s led our team in hits for the past three years... how many players did he injure last year with clean hits? Like at least 3

Not to mention his scoring was almost all 5 on 5. That’s 21 goals almost exclusively at 5 on 5. 2/3 of the way through the season he was on pace for 30 EVEN STRENGTH goals!!!!! If you don’t understand the significance of that you are not very wise.

And yes, he drives possession. That’s what the stats say.
Hows his one goal without monahan? Lol. Keep hating kid.

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
I like Ferland, but his inconsistency with his physicality was more frustrating than the offense. It seemed like he got the Rene Bourque or Curtis Glencross flu, where he believed he was too good to hit hard or was too valuable to hurt himself. I watched every game and leading the Flames in hitting was nothing to brag about. Not to mention I was actually surprised that he got that many hits when I saw the stat. I like him and would welcome him back on our 3rd line any day.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011

Don't worry, you guys will love Ferland. He doesn't often hit 'spectacularly' any longer, but watch the guys that he does hit. They often wince and come off the ice. People don't notice that. People think he doesn't hit any longer. He leads Calgary every year, and I know that the Pacific Division is probably all smiles seeing him gone.

As for scoring... he has great wheels, great hockey sense, plays don't die on his stick (he will actually shock you with how much talent he does have) and his shot... it is a sniper's shot. I don't want to build him up for you guys too much, but trust me - he will be a valuable piece.

People like to dissect the trade and claim that Ferland was almost a throw-in, and that his inconsistency drove him out of Calgary. Listen to Treliving talk about him - didn't spend much time on Hamilton really, but talked about Ferland quite a lot. You could see that Treliving did NOT want to include Ferland in that trade, but without him it wouldn't have happened. My prediction?

10 goals as his bottom-end. If he is in the right situation, he can get you 30. You will see. Some Flames' fans are crapping on him not just because of the trade, but because his offence dried-up near the end of the season. The whole team was playing like dog crap, he went out of the lineup for a while, and didn't do much when he returned (probably nursing an injury). Monahan had a broken wrist - it wasn't like Gaudreau was lighting it up either. Ferland is a rare talent - tough as nails, but also quick and talented. He won't wow you with his skill, but he has a good amount of skill and is SOOOO much more than a plodding 4th line banger. Just watch ;) Ferland just got the focus of it, with a bunch of fans clamoring: "See, I told you he wasn't a legitimate 1st liner!!" (he is, under the right conditions - his stats were showing that right up until he got hurt).

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
:laugh: No he isn't, Ferland is massively overrated and has been for a couple years. Unless he is spoon fed 1st line minutes like he was in Calgary, Ferland will be lucky to score 15. Micheal Ferland is a more physical David Moss

I disagree on this one. I am confident that he will put up 30 points. I'm down to eat crow if wrong.

Reactions: Riptide

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Ferland will score at least 27 goals and 20 assists next year if he hits the 80 GP mark, and I think he will have a 35 goal / 30 assist type season at some point before he turns 32.

He doesn't get enough credit for his own contributions to points. Watch Gaudreau or Monahan's or Giordano's 2017-18 highlight packages, and you'll see plenty of plays that simply don't happen without Ferland making a very solid play. Some of which Ferland didn't even get a point because his was that third assist that started the play off.

I'm actually skeptical either Neal or Lindholm can bring to that line what Ferland did. The hope is that Lindholm brings more on the PP as a RHS and Neal isn't too big of a dropoff at ES as a shooter, but that's not the same as saying we upgraded that slot. Ferland is the kind of player who brings every possible thing you could want from a player in a top six complementary role. Sure, he's not a line driver - if he were also a line driver his name would be Jamie Benn. There is a deep crevasse between Jamie Benn and how Flames fans describe him.

If course, the people who hate on Ferland are the same jokers who were rejoicing the day we signed Troy Brouwer, so I take their player evaluation skills with a heaping tablespoon of salt.

And no, he isn't inconsistent. This boils down to poor evaluation skills by people who don't realize that players who play almost exclusively at 5 on 5 are inherently going to appear less consistent than all-situations players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reinhart

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Ferland will score at least 27 goals and 20 assists next year if he hits the 80 GP mark, and I think he will have a 35 goal / 30 assist type season at some point before he turns 32.

He doesn't get enough credit for his own contributions to points. Watch Gaudreau or Monahan's or Giordano's 2017-18 highlight packages, and you'll see plenty of plays that simply don't happen without Ferland making a very solid play. Some of which Ferland didn't even get a point because his was that third assist that started the play off.

I'm actually skeptical either Neal or Lindholm can bring to that line what Ferland did. The hope is that Lindholm brings more on the PP as a RHS and Neal isn't too big of a dropoff at ES as a shooter, but that's not the same as saying we upgraded that slot. Ferland is the kind of player who brings every possible thing you could want from a player in a top six complementary role. Sure, he's not a line driver - if he were also a line driver his name would be Jamie Benn. There is a deep crevasse between Jamie Benn and how Flames fans describe him.

If course, the people who hate on Ferland are the same jokers who were rejoicing the day we signed Troy Brouwer, so I take their player evaluation skills with a heaping tablespoon of salt.

And no, he isn't inconsistent. This boils down to poor evaluation skills by people who don't realize that players who play almost exclusively at 5 on 5 are inherently going to appear less consistent than all-situations players.

Woof. I have no horse in the race, but hahaha. On the first comment. I agree the poster(s) evaluations though, but this is a glass house type situation.

And second, no. Even the GM says he's inconsistent. So I'll take his player evaluations over, and take no offence, your own. Also, that's a really dumb assessment. Like really dumb. Backlund plays the 2nd PP, and yet you can tell he's not inconsistent.

I love me some Ferly, hell of a shot and a puck hound, but Gaudreau was a contributing factor to Ferland. He wasn't great on the PP when given the opportunity (but who was in Calgary minus Dougie). I expect in Carolina he'll be a 12-13 goal, 15 assist guy for them. That's good value for that contract over a year.

Reactions: Riptide

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Honestly as a Flames fan i wish we traded Bennett instead of Ferly. Ferly had the hardest wrist shot on the team that's why he scored 20 goals. Ferly improved every year and i expect him to get 40 points this season for 1.75 Million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad