Central Division Race Part II [warning in the OP and #355]

BlueSinceBirth

Jul 4, 2006
Toews was either uninterested (or tired), or Backes matched him up harder than I noticed...just didn't see that Toews extra gear tonight. Regardless, the Hawks played 3 good games that they just happened to lose. They're still the Hawks -- the gap is just closing.

He took a pretty hard hit early and looked hurt.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Engblam said that Toews hadn't killed any penalties to that point in the game (I think it was still 0-0 at that point but not sure).

Chicago may have reigned him a bit to keep him fresh.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
5 teams in Central going to finish with 97+ points. NHLs Royal Rumble.

If the Avs win on Saturday, all 7 central division teams would have at least 90 points. If the Stars and Avs were in a different division, they would have probably gotten those extra points and made the playoffs with their rosters.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If the Avs win on Saturday, all 7 central division teams would have at least 90 points. If the Stars and Blues were in a different division, they would have probably gotten those extra points and made the playoffs with their rosters.
Umm... the Blues won the division... :sarcasm:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Preds fans sound about as hopeless as Blues fans did last year on their 6 game losing streak and numerous injuries headed into the postseason. The playoffs are a new season. Anything can happen.

Krossbar

Nov 14, 2014
Wait 'til the Stars get decent D and goalies. This division is undoubtedly the best division right now.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Wait 'til the Stars get decent D and goalies. This division is undoubtedly the best division right now.

how? Hawks took 5 years to develop their D corp before being ready. If you're doing it through trades then your team is losing forward talent.

Maybe Dallas can pull a Colorado in the near future if they find goaltending. Goaltending is the easiest thing to find so who knows.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
how? Hawks took 5 years to develop their D corp before being ready. If you're doing it through trades then your team is losing forward talent.

Maybe Dallas can pull a Colorado in the near future if they find goaltending. Goaltending is the easiest thing to find so who knows.
Absolutely! Of all the places a team can be weak at... goaltender is one that is easiest to resolve on the fly.

The Wild have had to do it two years in a row... and now may have a long term solution.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
If stars can get their goalie problem fixed by next year and the Avs players progress and have good years then there could be 6-7 playoff-caliber teams next year, what do we do at that point? Did the NHL front office expect this?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There really is no clear cut favorite.

Hawks have pedigree, high end talent, but lack depth, especially on D. Feels like this isn't their year, but you'd be crazy to underestimate them.

Blues can steamroller teams, but be let down by goaltending.

I don't know why the Jets aren't better. Scary team. Goalie?

Wild have best depth and are relentless, but lack a high end offensive C. Prone to being bullied, but not as much as in the past.

Don't know what the deal is in NSH. If Rinne becomes Rinne again they are back in it.

MoPucks

Feb 3, 2009
Stl
I think Winnipeg has a legit shot at knocking off Anaheim if that is who they end up playing.

MoPucks

Feb 3, 2009
Stl
Wild have best depth and are relentless, but lack a high end offensive C. Prone to being bullied, but not as much as in the past.

:help: How do the wild have the best depth? I disagree.
They are a deep team but I don't think they are as deep as St. Louis. Wild have 4 players who topped 40 points. St. Louis has 9.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
:help: How do the wild have the best depth? I disagree.
They are a deep team but I don't think they are as deep as St. Louis. Wild have 4 players who topped 40 points. St. Louis has 9.

Avalanche have 6 players over 50 points and yet we didn't even make the playoffs :laugh: :laugh:.

Guess our defense really is terrible :laugh:.

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
The blues are going into the playoffs with everyone healthy or healthy enough to play.

I'm sure they want to take over 1st and play the Jets.

The Wild are a much larger threat.

The blues lose 4 of 7 to the jets.

Then time to gut the older core.

That is just not acceptable.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The blues are going into the playoffs with everyone healthy or healthy enough to play.

I'm sure they want to take over 1st and play the Jets.

The Wild are a much larger threat.

The blues lose 4 of 7 to the jets.

Then time to gut the older core.

That is just not acceptable.

... I'm not sure what just happened. Did we advance to the second round?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
... I'm not sure what just happened. Did we advance to the second round?

Congratulations!

I think he's saying if the Blues lose (hypothetically to the 8th seed) then they'll blow it up a bit and re-identify the core.

But I don't see Anaheim losing to Arizona as very likely, so I think the Ducks keep that Winnipeg match-up.

I think the Blues and most of their fans don't care who they're matched up with in the first round at this point. Personally, I know I really don't care. It will be a great series, because they're all good teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad